Do you prefer long one or short ones?

1 to 20 of 26 messages
23/09/2002 at 16:04
I think after reading Snicks' article in RF that I'm more of a 10k type of guy. Although I haven't really worked that much on longer distances, I seem to find doing a 10k is sooooooo much easier than say... 10m!
cougie    pirate
23/09/2002 at 16:56
Oooh - haven't read that - is that this months ?

I think I suffer less in longer runs, 10k's seem to be a bit too intense for me and I'm in pain all the way round.
Running longer but at a lower intensity seems better to me, so I'd say 1/2 Marathons are my fave.
Marathons are just too long for me with my fitness. But this might change.
23/09/2002 at 18:38
Longies, definitely.

Ditto as cougie.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
23/09/2002 at 20:05
Absolutely positively long 'uns, the longer the better. Love Ironman triathlons but I guess that says something about my character?
23/09/2002 at 20:12
I'd love that too.. if I could swim .. brest stroke ain't much good.
23/09/2002 at 22:18
Looks like the majority's already established itself, but I'm going to reduce it and state my firm preference for shorter events - 5K, 5 miles or 10K. Lots of commitment, lots of pain, lots of contact with other runners and resultant personal competition (almost always in the best spirit!); plus, you can't afford to stop concentrating. That's the way I like it!
23/09/2002 at 22:29
Barkles,

I spent three months following FLM training my freestyle to be able to swim 1500m in open water (olympic distance, not nutty ironman!). 200m into the London Tri I holed (erratic breathing), started taking on water faster than the Titanic and had no option but breast stroke. Breast stroke does just fine, if a little slow (35 min of swimming, had hoped for just under 30).

Also bumped into someone from university in the water (strange things happen) - turns out 18 months prior to the event he couldn't swim at all...
23/09/2002 at 22:46
It's something I'll have to work on. May take lessons???
23/09/2002 at 22:52
Lessons are a good idea (even group coached stuff - it's a case of not being worried about (in)ability to swim) as the approach for improving is quite different to running - it's less a case of getting out there and doing it lots, more a case of getting it right when you're doing it - good technique makes a lot of difference. Still, good technique no good if you end up binning the idea 200m from the start! Oops.
23/09/2002 at 22:53
In answer to the first question, long (though ability probably lies in the slightly shorter events - 10km (ish)).
23/09/2002 at 23:36
Strangely, I prefer short, but think in order to do well at them I need to train for long! Jon, don't believe the old rubbish I churn out!! It's 1135pm now and I'm trying to write this thing on low carbs, after three stubby beers the arguements are all blurring into one!
24/09/2002 at 00:31
Conversely Snicks, I prefer long to short but think I need to do more short than at present to underpin the long.

Does that make sense? It did when I thought it but seeing it in front of me I'm not so sure?

Also, can't witter endlessly on short.
24/09/2002 at 00:46
I favour the 5k,after all it's a lot of pain but is over in just under 13 minutes.

'Darling,have you taken your medication today?'

'No dear ,i'll do it now'
24/09/2002 at 07:03
I'm something of an inbetweenie - having been training for a marathon I can categorically say I do not enjoy long runs (being anything over two hours).

10k's have a kind of pureness - tactics don't really come into it, just blast all the way. It might hurt but there's a certain satisfaction in running at speed.

24/09/2002 at 10:23
Snicks m'dear... Don't go even try to argue on the low carb diet thingy... "My fishy flatmate..."
24/09/2002 at 10:24
Of course... To some people I have only done shoert ones!!!
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/09/2002 at 20:47
There's plenty of triathletes who swim breast-stroke, and pretty well too - I can attest to that, I've been overtaken by enough of 'em! No shame in swimming breast-stroke.
24/09/2002 at 21:54
What Jon? Do tell. I've seen refs to your flat mate but don't know the full story - is she on the low carb thing? What, is it Sardines at seven, mackerel at midnight, that sort of thing. Does she like poached eggs? I bet she doesn't like you carb loading.
Trogs    pirate
25/09/2002 at 00:25
I think I like long ones best but I might change my mind after Sunday.
25/09/2002 at 09:56
Snicks... Not that healthy I'm afraid! Basically she's STILL doing the atkins diet of fried anything ie sausages, bacon etc
1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.