Do you tip?

I often do, but I won't pay a pre loaded tip.

21 to 40 of 46 messages
12/08/2011 at 15:09

I also tip only if I have received particularly good service. It might be more or less than 10%, depending on how much we have spent and how much work we caused.

I have never tipped a 'chambermaid' and don't see why that is expected, we don't do anything that would require them to go the extra mile.

Cabbies I will tip if they have done something extra like carrying my luggage to the front door. Mind you, the situation, in our home town at least, is a bit different cos Mr S is a cabbie - so the cabbie is intent on knocking a bit off the bill for us and we are intent on given a tip .

The situation in the USa is farcical - 20% if you get good service and 105 if the service was bad! No way - it is 0% if the service was bad 

12/08/2011 at 15:42
The thing with the US though ( as my american relatives keep saying to me) is that the folks doing these jobs are extremely poorly paid and in some case NOT paid at all - so that the tips are really what they live on.

That's why I said before - the a**holes need to sort themselves out and pay their staff a decent wage.

12/08/2011 at 16:47

If it's added on automatically then it defeats the object of a tip. I agree with GA - pay people a decent wage and then tips can be given as their intended purpose (i.e. the acknowledgement that someone has gone beyond what is expected in their role), and not a necessity to supplement crap wages.

The one that gets me is hairdressers. I already get charged extra because I have long hair, and it seems now that you can't just get it cut - there have to be all sorts of extras, all at a cost. I can't afford to go often, let alone tip... plus there are places I have to avoid now because I'm fed up of the staff trying to sell me 'treatments' and expensive products, because high street stuff is 'proven' to be really bad for the hair. I'm covered in tattoos - even if I believed them, hair is temporary so I really don't care!

12/08/2011 at 17:38
I don't understand tips.  What's the point of the price if it isn't the price?
12/08/2011 at 19:45

My bugbear is that service tends to be worse in places that automatically at 10% or whatever to the bill because there's no incentive to give good service. I will refuse to pay it if it's been really bad, but mostly will.

I was a waitress in a large chain for a long while. Our total tip box generally came to about 5% of the evenings takings.

12/08/2011 at 20:15
when i go to the barbers i usually tip an extra quid, for a £10 haircut

occasionally round a cabfare up to the nearest quid.

don't really agree with it in restaurants but would always leave a cash tip so it goes into the tronc

12/08/2011 at 21:51
I don't tip the barber, precisely because he does charge a tenner.  The girls down the market, who charge £3.80 for a number 2 all over get the tip.
12/08/2011 at 22:02
Surely tipping a quid is just embarrasment all round?! For them because they have to be grateful, and you for offering such a low tip!
12/08/2011 at 22:41
10% tip? what more do you want!

i usually do my hair myself but go to the barbers ahead of job interviews and weddings
12/08/2011 at 22:45
*unemployed polygamist seeks new barber*
13/08/2011 at 17:45
Last time we were in USA we tipped the hotel staff. We then found out when we paid the bill at the end of our stay that tips were added on to your bill so you were not expected to tip any of their staff at all. We were not happy when we discovered that we had tipped twice!
13/08/2011 at 19:24
Interesting topic Having worked in a large hotel and seen what goes on behind closed doors as such I won't tip now. Service charge is ridiculous and in my case certainly wasn't seen in my wages. Any tips were pooled and shared out on a hour many hours you worked basis and as someone else said the shirkers got as much as the grafters.
13/08/2011 at 21:21

I just don't get how americans, arguably one of the least tolerant, selfish nations in the world, allow a system where tips are seen as "must do". Talk of 10% tips, if the service has been bad is a joke...It's down to the employer, not simple punters to subsidise them!

Just keep thinking of the bit in one of the Home Alone's where the porter sticks his hand out asking for a tip, and the kid gives him some chewing gum instead. I'd probably be like that, or give some smart alec bit of advice (tip).

I'd probably have to make full use of my running to get out of trouble though

14/08/2011 at 13:16
Depends who you look at it Stevie (BTW, most Americans I've ever met have been kind, polite, tolerant folks).  They know it's an unskilled job that wont pay much, yet it is the kind of job that people on their uppers do.  Pay them rubbish wages, as that what the skill level dictates, and you get crap service.  Just look at the standard of service in shops and restaurants here.  Allow people to earn a living wage by having the employee effectively buy into the business, and you get better service.  That's the theory anyway.  From my limited experience of restaurants over there though, it seems to work.
15/08/2011 at 08:29
Tips are earnt, not deserved. My ethos.
15/08/2011 at 14:36
I hate tipping. I don't see why I should boost someone's income just for doing the job they're supposed to be doing at the best of their ability anyway. I've paid for service. That's why I went out for dinner and didn't stay at home and cook for myself.
15/08/2011 at 18:41
I'm with you two...if the employer is comfortable with the wage they're paying the worker...and the worker has accepted the job, then why is it down to the punter to right all wrongs!
17/08/2011 at 16:00
Turn it around then, would be happy for all items on the menu to be 10%-20% more expensive yet know that the staff are being paid a better wage without the need to tip?
17/08/2011 at 16:09

Yes, I'd be happy with that - especially as it'd save the social awkwardness associated with tipping

17/08/2011 at 16:12
SuperCaz wrote (see)
Last time we were in USA we tipped the hotel staff. We then found out when we paid the bill at the end of our stay that tips were added on to your bill so you were not expected to tip any of their staff at all. We were not happy when we discovered that we had tipped twice!

That would have so pissed me off! 

I was irritated enough with the little envelope left in the room for the tip to go in. By the end of that trip we'd no money left, so they didn't get a tip anyway.

I don't go on cruises, but I understand you're "expected" to allow a certain amount for tips for the crew?  Stuff that.

I used to tip my hairdresser, when he worked in a salon, but now that he works for himself, I don't.  Never knew whether this was 'right' or not though!

21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.