Do you, would you... say anything in this situation?

21 to 35 of 35 messages
seren nos    pirate
10/01/2013 at 14:18

out of interest.....How do you know that your daughter hasn't been taught how to get out of a forward roll safely or a handstand correctly.................maybe she has been taught and is a little headstrong and prefers her own way......

If you have watched the sessions and can see that its unsafe and that children are in danger...then of course do something to ensure the childrens safety......you have no other option.

but if you haven't observed the sessions then i would look a bit further into it before accusiing them of being neglectful of their duties.......just incase you haven't been told the whole story.........happens all the time with kids

10/01/2013 at 14:53

KK is this perhaps another area where we have all been left behind by the modern, enlightened way of doing things! You are over qualified etc., but how old are your  qualifications, how long ago were you an active gymnast (not questioning your competency at all). Is there not a parallel with so many professionals that we adhere doggedly to the 'old ways' of doing things as the best way of doing things? When I was at University ........

I do understand your concern that children should be taught how to protect themselves from injury but perhaps the 'modern way' is firstly to encourage fun and participation before being introduced to the more serious stuff. 

Rather than challenge the people concerned with your perception of best practise it may be better to take a more reasoned approach "everyone is having such a good time what are your thoughts about the children's personal safety training and availability of first aid?" Either that or ask a current teacher of those training to teach about the current best practise. 

10/01/2013 at 16:43

( rubs hands)

Ok, here's the thing. The out-of hours company is usually following a  specific curriculum because they need to be able to award certificates etc, because that moivates the kids and keep them coming back. If the school asks, they will show you their curriculum. The Head has every right to ask this. a quick look will either tell you that their curriculum has not been followed, or is unsuitable for your children. 

After that the course of action depends on the Head.

10/01/2013 at 17:05

Ooh, actually, Seren's point above could be a great way into tactfully approaching the instructors without looking like you're making a complaint: just have an informal chat with them and say 'my daughter doesn't seem to be doing x and y the correct, safe way, please could you keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't try and take any shortcuts' or similar. Then if they've no idea what you're talking about you'll know if there's a problem.

10/01/2013 at 17:12

LOve the way MartinKay just accused kk of being out of date

10/01/2013 at 19:02
kittenkat wrote (see)

Ok, first off don't look specifically at the topic I'm talking about, apply it to your own background of knowledge in your field.

Let's begin...

I'm over qualified and could be quite scary in this if I wanted to be, but what's the use of that? I just want a balanced opinion from you guys...  

Barkles!

I thought I was just  following KK's invitation. I was only saying that professionals over say 40 years ( not that I am suggesting KK is over 40 years old (is she?)) may not be as up to date with modern practises as the newly qualified.  Oh dog where's my passport!!!

10/01/2013 at 20:57

There are no new practices in coming out of a handstand into a forward roll. It is a basic skill but a progressive one that follows on from kids learning how to do forward rolls first safely before any progression to more difficult skills.

KK
why not ask if the instructors have basic/advanced BAGA qualifications and are following  the foundations of any of the courses laid out in British Gymnastics handbooks? The query could be couched along the lines of kids geting recognised basic skill sets so that they can transfer later to gymnastic clubs   There is a mass of information on line from Brithish Gymnastics covering the levels from pre school (FUNdamentals) upwards

11/01/2013 at 13:40

Have you decided on a course of action KK?

11/01/2013 at 13:53

Yeah, its too find MartenKay...

11/01/2013 at 14:14

What does over qualified mean?

What have you decided to do KK?

11/01/2013 at 14:24

Doh!

11/01/2013 at 14:30

You're telling me?

11/01/2013 at 18:56
Edited: 11/01/2013 at 18:57
14/01/2013 at 11:53

So, what is the outcome of this?
Have you spoken to the people concerned?

14/01/2013 at 17:52

Good stuff.
Although I wouldn't bother about denting the instructers confidence too much.
He has a responsibility to the kids and was from what you've said not being responsible. A kick up the backside might do him good.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.