E-Readers

Anyone got one?

21 to 40 of 58 messages
21/12/2010 at 20:02
of course the main advantage with e-readers is that you don't knock over the big pile of booksin the doorway because the bookshelves are all full.
Dark Vader    pirate
21/12/2010 at 20:11

I can't comment on the other versions mentioned, but I can vouch for the Kindle being excellent...    Highly impressed by it actually.....   for all the reasons stated earlier...

21/12/2010 at 20:18

TMW, my understanding is that the Kindle books you buy are kept on record at Amazon or wherever, so if you lose them you can re-download for free.

They do seem to have thought it through and I'm increasingly interested, but I do like paper books. Just wish I had enough space to store them all. Which brings me back to thinking about the Kindle.

21/12/2010 at 20:20
I think this is the story I was kind of remembering ... issue has probably been sorted by now but anyway, here it is if you're interested.
Iron Pugsley    pirate
21/12/2010 at 21:39
I like real books and hummed and hawed about a kindle for a couple of years but was never convinced. However, I got an iPad at work earlier this year and downloaded the kindle app.........and it is great. So much more than a kindle with great quality screen.
21/12/2010 at 22:16
I like real books and will always have real books around but I seriously love my kindle.  One of the best things I've bought in ages.
22/12/2010 at 09:01
Well I have ordered a Kindle, won't get here till jan but hey......Thanks for all the comments folks.
22/12/2010 at 09:56

Good overall choice Flat Foot.
The Kindle are also a bit more than just a e-book reader and have functionality which is not documented such as limited fuctionality with google maps.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9838934-39.html

You can even install a fully fuctional linux enviroment on it

22/12/2010 at 11:19

I'm really tempted to get a the Amazon Kindle. I do like to read a lot but hate carrying around books. I'm looking at at Amazon 3G/WIFI as Amazon will pick up the bill for any downloads done via 3G. I like how light they are & the fact that I can carry round as many books as I want without all the weight.

The downside is not all the books I want have a Kindle version & also the cost. The books I'm after seem to average at about £5 whereas I'll normally borrow from the library for free or doesn't cost much to buy online. It's good you can demo the books though - 'try before you buy'.

I have a Kindle app on the iPad but find the it too heavy to read from & also have the app on my iPhone but find it too small to read from for long periods of time.

22/12/2010 at 11:44

I've been thinking about a Kindle.  I do like proper books, though.  I'm undecided.....

I like the idea of samples of books, though. 

I think it was Books, etc., that used to do a free book containing a chapter or two of new books coming out.  That was a very good way to sell more books, and give readers the chance to see what they'd like that they might not have tried otherwise.

Edited: 22/12/2010 at 11:45
22/12/2010 at 11:50
I've not tried it yet but you can email PDF docs to your kindle which could be a useful function.
22/12/2010 at 11:59
@k8greene - Amazon only picks up the 3G tab if you're on a Vodafone network.
22/12/2010 at 12:11

Intermanaut  - According to their website:

"Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity"

Doesn't mention anything about needing to be with Vodafone, just says ready to go from taking it out the box.

Edited: 22/12/2010 at 12:15
22/12/2010 at 19:58
k8greene wrote (see)

whereas I'll normally borrow from the library for free

Many local authorities' libraries have e-books that you can lend
Edited: 22/12/2010 at 19:58
22/12/2010 at 20:04
I have a Kindle and I love it. I have hacked mine so that I have different screensaver images to the ones supplied and have changed the font. 
22/12/2010 at 20:12
Ooh how'd you do that?
22/12/2010 at 20:38

UK - I used this guide for the walk-through and this is a good website for the images.

Obviously, any hacking you do will void the warranty, but I am more than happy to guide you through if you are unsure.

Edited: 22/12/2010 at 20:42
Ironholgs    pirate
22/12/2010 at 21:24

Another vote for a kindle from me - best pressie I ever received, Not sure I read anymore than I did but the beauty of it for me is that I still get lost in what I'm reading and forget that I'm looking at a screen.

It feels weird now going back to a normal book, which isn't good when youe day job is a librarian

And the hacking is pretty straight forward.

22/12/2010 at 22:08
@k8greene - I don't have a Kindle, but this is from a friend of mine who bought one in October:

"3G coverage is hot potato at the moment on the support forum. Apparently Amazon are tricking people into thinking the 3G coverage is worldwide, it’s not. It is apparently only where there is a 3G signal on the Vodafone network. Obviously most of the UK is covered and plenty of places abroad, just not everywhere."

Looking at this you can see that there's a significant chunk of the USA, and most of Canada, that you can't use it in:

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=2&view=intl
23/12/2010 at 09:33

Intermanaut - Thanks for clearing that up, does now make me re-think the 3G version.

Kev - that's great about e-books from the library. I don't know why I didn't think to check that they did them.

Work gave me a generous Amazon voucher for Xmas so I think I'll spend it on that. Shame I won't have it in time for Xmas though

21 to 40 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.