Eastleigh By-election

predictions and consequences

1 to 20 of 48 messages
28/02/2013 at 13:17

Eastleigh By-election is today, who do you think will win and by how much?

Most papers (and polls) think it wil be a narrow victory for the Lib Dems with the Tories 2nd and UKIP 3rd. Although this article in The Telegraph suggests UKIP could finish 2nd.

What do you think the fall out will be? If the Lib Dems lose the seat is Clegg out as leader? If UKIP poll strongly is Cameron likely to face a leadership challenge?

28/02/2013 at 13:29

Lib Dems win, Tories second, UKIP third.
I'd quite like to see UKIP do well (in general), just so that we can ascertain their economic policies. Tax cuts for everyone, increase public sector prodcutivity but without increased spending, establishing a million new jobs via lower taxation (yes but what effect would the 'new' local tax have on the overall tax picture?) At least they recognise the need to reduce public sector bloatedness and an unsustainable national debt, so with that they are following the lead of the current coalition.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 13:30
28/02/2013 at 17:37

Ye gods. UKIP are polite middle-England racists who elected the charming Nigel Farage as a cover for their vile policies on immigration and crime. I sincerely hope they don't become a force for anything.

28/02/2013 at 18:37

Someone will win. Nothing will change.

01/03/2013 at 08:13

Peter - I wasn't promoting them at all (if you thought I was).
My post, on reflection, wasn't clear. They don't have a viable economic policy: tax cuts, increased productivity, deficit reduction, but by my reckoning no way of paying for it. So a little boost at the polls will drop them in the spotlight so that we can see how brittle they are on wider issues.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
01/03/2013 at 08:17

Tom you were wrong.

tories pushed into 3rd.but its ok as they have dismissed as a protest vote.........

not sure why a protest vote is unimportant 

01/03/2013 at 08:36
Peter Collins wrote (see)

Ye gods. UKIP are polite middle-England racists who elected the charming Nigel Farage as a cover for their vile policies on immigration and crime. I sincerely hope they don't become a force for anything.

As a matter of interest what policies are they?

01/03/2013 at 10:01

UKIP are a sad little party for xenophobes, racists and bigots and pretty much all by election results mean nothing. They never transmit to what happens in a general election.

Come the general election we'll be back to a straight fight between dumb and dumber.

01/03/2013 at 10:27

Same question, I am not really interested in Politics but I would like to see how their policies on Immigration and Crime can be so obnoxious.

01/03/2013 at 11:09

I just read up on UKIP crime policy - Victims rights in preference to criminals. The easier deportation of foreign criminals. Life to mean life. No plea bargain for Rapists, Murder or paedophiles. Three strikes policy for minor crimes. Rebalance the law in favour of householder/intruder. This is very interesting and not vile, what am I missing or are people just repeating what the papers tell them  

01/03/2013 at 11:12

In brief:
Immigration
- stop uncontrolled immigration, freeze on immigration for permanent settlement
- Leave EU to ensure tighter border control (work permits, points based like Australia)
- Holding centre for asylum seekers
- Benefits only available to UK citizens (5 year residency)
- Visas required with conditions (health cover etc.)
Crime
- zero tolerance
- more police on the streets
- abolish CPS
- harsher penalties for re-offenders and more prisons (so that sentences can be carried out in full)
- greater emphasis on rehabilitation
- deport foreign criminals
- Dismiss European court of human rights

make your own mind up...

Tommygun2    pirate
01/03/2013 at 11:13

EKGO in the minds of the left leaning people, anyone who question mass imigration is a racist. Its how the try to stifle reasonable debate by screaming the race card.

WiB
01/03/2013 at 11:22

Some of my favourite things are races!

WiB
01/03/2013 at 11:29

Depends if you are an extreme right wing human rights hating libertarian type or not. It's basically a manifesto for the rich white western man claiming that he is persecuted by liberals, or in other words it appeals to morons.

Homophobic, like most UK political parties in being firmly against gay marriage. Leaving the EU, in which they are dumb enough to think would have no trade or tourism impact. Tripling the number of border control staff, which is going to be great as you've screwed EU trade and plan to reduce corporate tax and abolish inheritance tax (yeah rich whiteys!). A complete five year freeze on immigration, based on nothing other than good old fashioned xenophobia. Anyone not a UK national and living here since before 2004 (EU citizens) to be deported, nothing at all xenophobic in that at all! Asylum detention centres. Repeal the 1998 Human rights act, you always know you're on the right course when you start overturning Human Rights Acts! End the active promotion of the doctrine of multiculturalism by local and national government and all publicly funded bodies (their actual words), give me a X, give me a E, give me a N... Abolishing the higher tax rates for higher earners, go rich whitey. Oh and EKGO that isn't putting things in balance for victims rights. It's almost police state rhetoric.

I feel so sorry for all these white British folk born in a rich country with every opportunity and advantage at their disposal. Remember if you are failing it's due to those nasty foreigners and asylum seekers.

01/03/2013 at 11:29
EKGO wrote (see)

I just read up on UKIP crime policy - Victims rights in preference to criminals. The easier deportation of foreign criminals. Life to mean life. No plea bargain for Rapists, Murder or paedophiles. Three strikes policy for minor crimes. Rebalance the law in favour of householder/intruder. This is very interesting and not vile, what am I missing or are people just repeating what the papers tell them  

We don't have plea bargaining in this country. Do they mean no right to parole? Or no reduced sentences? Or no right to appeal? I doubt many people would disagree with the first two but the third opens up a big can of worms. 

WiB
01/03/2013 at 11:31
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Depends if you are an extreme right wing human rights hating libertarian type or not. It's basically a manifesto for the rich white western man claiming that he is persecuted by liberals, or in other words it appeals to morons.

Homophobic, like most UK political parties in being firmly against gay marriage. Leaving the EU, in which they are dumb enough to think would have no trade or tourism impact. Tripling the number of border control staff, which is going to be great as you've screwed EU trade and plan to reduce corporate tax and abolish inheritance tax (yeah rich whiteys!). A complete five year freeze on immigration, based on nothing other than good old fashioned xenophobia. Anyone not a UK national and living here since before 2004 (EU citizens) to be deported, nothing at all xenophobic in that at all! Asylum detention centres. Repeal the 1998 Human rights act, you always know you're on the right course when you start overturning Human Rights Acts! End the active promotion of the doctrine of multiculturalism by local and national government and all publicly funded bodies (their actual words), give me a X, give me a E, give me a N... Abolishing the higher tax rates for higher earners, go rich whitey. Oh and EKGO that isn't putting things in balance for victims rights. It's almost police state rhetoric.

I feel so sorry for all these white British folk born in a rich country with every opportunity and advantage at their disposal. Remember if you are failing it's due to those nasty foreigners and asylum seekers.

Ok... No need for the hard sell!

Out of curiosity, if you use comment in bold replacing the word 'whiteys' with 'blackeys' is it still acceptable to use?

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 11:33
WiB
01/03/2013 at 11:34

UKIP Policies

Or there's a summary in The Guardian if you don't fancy trawling through all that.

01/03/2013 at 11:38

If you want. I just love the irony of white people from a rich western country basically made what it is on the back of colonialism, persecution of others and slavery claiming that they are hard done by.

Add to that that the financial impact of asylum seekers and immigration is a mere dribble compared to corporation tax avoidance. The human race never seems to learn. Blame the poor and the weakest in society for the problems caused by the rich and the powerful. They must laugh at the stupidity of so many.

Tommygun2    pirate
01/03/2013 at 11:38
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I am sensing alot of anger in that post, chill man its Friday

01/03/2013 at 11:44

OK so having trawled through, it's about making sure sentences reflect the crime and that life means life.

1 to 20 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.