Education or Endurance

Is our educational system for learning or just a weeding out process?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
18/12/2012 at 17:07

it certainly wasn't at my uni.

admittedly it was a arts degree, but even then it was too easy and far too undemanding. four years could easily have been compressed into two (or perhaps even one).

and I'm not very bright.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
18/12/2012 at 17:13

dancing with spikes...........they are both in the top few of their schools...............which doesn't say a lot in this area......

my youngest sons school is doing such a wide variety of courses at GCSE level so that pupils get a better chance of leaving with some qualifications.........

you can do an introduction to the building trade or motor mechanics in the locsl college one morning a week...............or even go to one of the army preperation colleges once a week

they do BTECs in engineering etc as well as the GCSE's.....in music they offer 2 options........one for those who play and instrument or sing and one for those who enjoy mixing and working with the mixers etc.......

they know the boys come from a deprived area and really work to try and get something to interest and excite them

so i don't think like Ric that they are letting them fall aside and rejected

19/12/2012 at 21:10

there is no longer an education system there is an assessment system

Edited: 19/12/2012 at 21:13
20/12/2012 at 08:46

Disagree

20/12/2012 at 10:26

The education is learning how to 'play the game'. 

Anyone who believes the subject matter of education is the key to future success and security is both naive and misinformed. The subject matter is of no use since its all old info which is available to anyone.

The selling point of anything depends on its exclusivtivity. 'Tell me something no-one else knows'.

Only have to look at those with masses of qualifications getting absolutely nowhere in life to see that. 

It is a system of which assessment is just another element to keep the players and conductors occupied.

The game is how much crap can you take and whether or not your face fits.

Edited: 20/12/2012 at 10:27
20/12/2012 at 12:38

Well yes to an extent it is easy to think that qualifications lead to a good job - which isn't always the case - though obviously the right kind of qualifications combined with attitude, luck, who you know etc are important.   

To an extent I do agree (if this is what you are saying) that some education, particularly university courses, are only really there to keep the people delivering the courses in employment.   

Education in general though is hugely important.   Without access to education for all you have no hope of any kind of equality in society - lack on education does impact massively on social mobility etc - there will always be exceptions but in general if you leave school with nothing you have a struggle ahead of you.   

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.