English National Sports

Is it time we had a rethink?

1 to 20 of 46 messages
18/11/2013 at 10:38

Is it time we had a rethink about what we consider to be our national sports? Should our number 1 sport now be running? Or at the very least up in the top 3?

18/11/2013 at 10:42

Well we've worked out that England is rubbish at football, so that should be dropped.

Wasnt running really popular back in the 80's but numbers have dropped off since?

18/11/2013 at 10:46

Disagree Mr Real, I think numbers have increased since the 80s, its the standard that have dorpped.

18/11/2013 at 10:48

oh right. Would be interesting to know why. I presume the 'charity' element nowadays means you get far more one-off runners bringing the overall standard down.

Maybe the Mo effect might pick numbers up.

18/11/2013 at 10:56

Doubtful, the Paula effect didn't make any difference, but does it matter? - what is happening is that a large number of individuals are getting off theirt backsides and getting out to imporove their health and fitness by moving along at a slightly faster pace than walking!!!!

18/11/2013 at 10:58

true, and considering the epidemic that is type 2 diabetes, not before time.

18/11/2013 at 11:32

it's an epidemic is it?   I'll steer clear of my neighbour then. I didn't know it was catching.

18/11/2013 at 11:42
Nose Nowt wrote (see)

it's an epidemic is it?   I'll steer clear of my neighbour then. I didn't know it was catching.

epidemic     adjective  
  • 1. of the nature of an epidemic. "shoplifting has reached epidemic proportions"   You might want to tell Google that its definitions are wrong since apparently they also think you can 'catch' the shoplifting bug.  
  •  

Cheerful Dave    pirate
    18/11/2013 at 11:59

But Mr I, you used it as a noun, where the google definition is:

epidemic  noun

1. a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time.
    18/11/2013 at 12:04

I was never very good at English ......... I probably have dxleysia or something

p.s Do you think its cruel that the name they give to people who see letters the wrong way around etc, dyslexia ...... I mean, thanks scientists, pick a name that is the hardest for people who have the condition to spell.

Probably the same scientists who came up with the name stutter for stutterers. I mean if you stutter, the last word you want to attempt to say is stutter.

18/11/2013 at 12:07

A quick google says that a national sport is a something that is intrinsic to the culture of the nation. Therefore, the standard that we achieve internationally has nothing to do with it. Having said that we have a proud history and for the size of the nation. I  think we punch above our weight(5k and 10k Olympic and World Golds and female world record holder for the marathon)

18/11/2013 at 12:12

Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

But Mr I, you used it as a noun, where the google definition is:

epidemic  noun

1. a widespread occurrence of an infectious disease in a community at a particular time.

I have to admit to having hoped Mr. I   would bite back in exactly the way he did  (I double checked my understanding the Google definitions first!)

Then I planned to put him in his place... in exactly the way you did

I set it up perfectly, but you stole my thunder   

Edited: 18/11/2013 at 12:13
    18/11/2013 at 12:13
    The real Mr I wrote (see)

Well we've worked out that England is rubbish at football, so that should be dropped. 

Rather better than Australia at most sports though - including football.

I think you have a point SR 

18/11/2013 at 12:17

According to wikipedia the national sport is cricket. I've never played a game of cricket in my life. I must be a Johnny Foreigner. Seen a few people out there running today. Not seen any footballers or cricketers though. If cricket dissapeared tomorrow, who would miss it?

18/11/2013 at 12:25

Me, I love cricket.

18/11/2013 at 12:28

Really? what position do you play? 

18/11/2013 at 12:30

I don't. Girls weren't encouraged to play "boys'" sports when I was a kid. But I enjoy watching it.

18/11/2013 at 13:43

So what was the last match you went to? 

18/11/2013 at 13:53

Some local match in Bath. Same with football - not sure what point you're trying to make Sussex.

18/11/2013 at 14:55

When I was in primary school in years 5 and 6 my teacher was a former secondary maths teacher with a passion for cricket. So basically for two years all we did was maths when it was bad weather and cricket when it was sunny. I was all right at it.

Just thought I'd share that for no reason. We also did running but not football (for girls).

Edited: 18/11/2013 at 14:56
    1 to 20 of 46 messages
    Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.