Ethnic diversity

recreational running, triathlon, etc.

1 to 20 of 29 messages
11/07/2012 at 13:46

I was wondering - and correct me if I'm wrong - but does it seem like recreational running and triathlon are predominantly done by white people? I don't know if there's any research been done on the subject, but did find an article on the US RW site (link) about the subject that states around 90% of people included in a survey of recreational runners were white. 

Just pondering...

11/07/2012 at 13:57

90%  Is that all??

http://lrn.london-marathon.com/static/photo_gallery/image_260.jpeg

This thread could get controversial  , but in the mean time yes it is interesting to ponder, although I'm not sure I've got many answers.

11/07/2012 at 14:01

I did wonder about the controversy it might bring up - people do like a good debate! 

I've not got any answers - when I get a chance I'm going to do a bit of a search for any academic research.

11/07/2012 at 14:01

It is true that I train with very few people who are not white, but it is also true that a very large percentage of the population where I live is white.  There are clusteres of Asians but very few of them seem to be into exercise.  Or at least not the exercise that I do.  I have no idea why that is.  I have never witnessed any behaviour that would put them off joining my clubs, and we do have a large number of white europeans who have English as a second language who have never complained of any sort of harassment.

I would be interested to hear the views of some non-white sports people

Lee the Pea    pirate
11/07/2012 at 14:02

Judging by what i've seen in races, it seems that way.  Haven't got time to read the article at the mo, but wondering if the percentage of people who race at all, compared to population of a country vs the ethnic diversity of those racing compared to the overall ethnic diversity of the country, match in anyway?  (if that makes sense...)

I'm sure there was an easier way to say that  it makes sense in my head

11/07/2012 at 14:03

From my observation at races, the overwhelming majority are white, towards or in middle age and also, to judge from the cars and kit, middle class.

I make no claims to that being a scientific sample, just what seems to be the case to me.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but yes, worth pondering why.

seren nos    pirate
11/07/2012 at 14:15

in the international stage the asian countries have never been big into athletics...........for their youth if you are talented athletically you go into cricket.........thats where the passion and money is............so if you look at local cricket tteams are there more balanced........i don't know as i only watch cricket on tele.and there seems to be lots in the crowd............but maybe thats because we were watching the indian 20/20 league

M.r Zuvai    pirate
11/07/2012 at 14:21

depends on how you define asian - Japan goes mental crazy for both marathon running and triathlon ..maybe that's the american influence on Japanese culture.. 

11/07/2012 at 14:24

I occasionally see runners from other enthicities at races, but not often.

However, I would guess that the population of Essex (where I live and mostly run) is predominantly white.

11/07/2012 at 14:24
Lee the Pea wrote (see)

wondering if the percentage of people who race at all, compared to population of a country vs the ethnic diversity of those racing compared to the overall ethnic diversity of the country, match in anyway?  (if that makes sense...)

If you look at the photo above, the participants in the London Marathon hardly reflect the ethnic diversity of London!  (Although I appreciate people come from further afield to take part.)

Even on a local level the mix of participation in different types of running is interesting. My club is based in South London and is perhaps more ethnically diverse than most represented here on RW, but there is very sharp delineation of black sprinters and white long distance runners with very few exceptions.

11/07/2012 at 14:32

Just thinking further - what is the ethnic mix here on RW? Not that I'm saying we as a group are representative of anything, but from the people I know in real-life or am also friends with on facebook - I think most, if not all, are white. 

I used to live in the West Midlands - lots of ethnic diversity. I think Birmingham is ~60% white, yet the running clubs and events in the area are still predominantly white. 

11/07/2012 at 15:39
Very ethnic. We've got jocks scousers and even yorkies !
11/07/2012 at 15:43

Some have even been outside their own countries too!

11/07/2012 at 15:44
You mean the welsh caz ?
11/07/2012 at 16:16

I meant to type counties, but it is true the Welsh sometimes sneak over the borders.  I've heard rumours that the Scottish might too.

11/07/2012 at 16:27

Just thinking of the parkrun finishers at my local event last time I gave out numbers we'd a couple of chinese, one asian and around 4 black people.  Out of 80 odd finishers that's not a lot but it probably reflects the population of the city (if you exclude students who've gone home now).  Within the white population we've a lot of Eastern Europeans and we certainly have maybe half a dozen of those who come along regularly.

Maybe because parkrun isn't competitive, costs nothing to participate in that we're seeing a more reflective participation than traditional races.

11/07/2012 at 16:28
SuperCaz wrote (see)

I meant to type counties, but it is true the Welsh sometimes sneak over the borders.  I've heard rumours that the Scottish might too.

I am planning a cross Border raid this weekend again   The target is Manchester this time.

11/07/2012 at 18:01

Look at the front end of the big marathons - isn't it mostly African (Ethiopian & Kenyan) ? 

11/07/2012 at 18:12

My dad always used to wonder why he never saw any non-white hillwalkers...

Running seems to be rather popular among Sikhs. Almost all of the Asian runners I see at the Glasgow half marathon every year are Sikhs. They also turn out to support the race in huge numbers and often organise great unofficial water/snack stations along the route. In the TV coverage you can usually see a large crowd of Scottish Sikhs running the London marathon too - a big mass of yellow t-shirts and a huge banner...

11/07/2012 at 18:13
Yep, and that would be why I specified 'recreational'
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.