Evaporated vs Condensed milk

Can you swap them in recipies?

7 messages
15/08/2006 at 16:25
Due to supreme stupidity I used evaporated milk instead of condensed milk in a chocolate cake recipe - will it taste the same?

I have never made this cake before or used these ingredients before so I don't know if it will affect the cake.

As a side note this was not my fault as the cans were identical just different sizes with small small writing on it. :-(
15/08/2006 at 16:35
it's for my flatmates birthday - five of us will be eating it so hopefully I won't have too much.

Of course I've still got to make the butter icing :-D
15/08/2006 at 16:43
They're completely different, but your chocolate cake will probably be OK anyway because chocolate cake usually is :o)
15/08/2006 at 16:45
I've made a second cake with the correct ingredients so the proper one will go to the restaurant and I'll take the original one into work.

They did look different. Sigh, what a stupid mistake to make.
15/08/2006 at 16:53
save me a piece of each to test :)
Duck Girl    pirate
15/08/2006 at 17:02
if it's got choc & sugar in, who cares?
15/08/2006 at 17:12
First one looks like it hasn't risen properly - but tastes good, very moist. I think it will be good with strawberries and double cream :-D

Second one it twice the height and cooling in my bedroom, as my flatmate finishes work at 5pm.

House now smells of a strange mixture of chocolate cake and peach air freshener. I'm very disapointed to have to hide the yummy cake smell.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.