Exit Interview

Has anyone had one of these ??

16 messages
28/07/2006 at 11:41
I have no problem taking part in this.
I get the impression that I am bit of a Guinea pig & will be the 1st person my soon to be ex employer has requested go through this pointless exercise.

I have stated via email(this morning to them) that I will only be prepared to take part in this if I am given copies of any minutes/notes from this meeting & that all any comments & opinions remain confidential.

My main concern is that this could in possibly prejudice any reference I am require in the future.
They will obviously claim not,but we all know how these things can work.

Do I go in & be honest even if that makes it very uncomfortable for one of the people sitting in on this meeting & this person would be the person responsible for any reference I make require at a later date?

Or should I just hold back a bit?

I am inclined to think the latter as I am leaving anyway.
28/07/2006 at 11:48
I would suggest you spout some waffle about having enjoyed working for the company but you're leaving to seek new challenges. There's no point slagging them off because it will be of no benefit to you. You might want a reference and you may meet them again in another job.
28/07/2006 at 11:48
very similar discussion yesterday about this, see what these guys say,

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=2&UTN=86324&last=1&V=6&SP=
28/07/2006 at 11:49
There was a thread on this earlier in the week.

Some said just go for it all barrels. Others said don't burn you bridges....
KKD
28/07/2006 at 11:50
I would be pleasant and not say anything inflamatory. You never know whats in the future and who knows who, so word can travel if you really tell them some home truths.

If you're asked for your opinion on how things work, procedures, areas you think the company could improve on, then I'd tell them in a 'constructive criticism' kind of way.

Best of luck. Do you feel good about leaving?
KKD
28/07/2006 at 11:54
Oh yes I do feel very good about leaving KKD.

I do however feel that I have had my had hand slight forced & although I it is my decision to go & I have a good new job to go to.
I have been slightly maniupulated into this situation & that maybe I have not been told the total truth.
28/07/2006 at 12:20
It's standard where I work. OI said on the other thread. Be honest with them. If they are doing things badly then tell them. If they don't know thay can't change hings for the poor sods you're leaving behind. Be constructive though.
28/07/2006 at 12:31
Just don't get personal - keep it generic. But be honest - just not angry. Just keep to the facts and try and keep your emotions out of it.
28/07/2006 at 12:35
bit concerned that i might not be able to keep a lid on it.
28/07/2006 at 12:40
I had an exit interview awhile ago. Just went along the lines of enjoyed my time, met some great people but need a new challenge. They will ask you is there anything they can or could have done. Ask you if your sure you want to leave.

I would suggest not slating them if you will need the reference. Go out with dignity. If however you don’t need the reference have a field day. I went out with dignity cause I was actually sad to be leaving I just didn’t want to work there anymore. Didn’t mean I didn’t like the people. Including the manger that interviewed me.
28/07/2006 at 12:40
In that case, you could write down what you want to say. This will keep things calm, and you can hand it over, saying 'I've written what I think you need to know, to save you the trouble of writing it down.'

You can then write in a clear rational manner, get your points across without the heat or fear that you're going to explode. It also means you know EXACTLY what's been said and recorded.
28/07/2006 at 12:41
Good advice LOzf will do that ta
28/07/2006 at 12:52
Let us know how it goes.
28/07/2006 at 12:53
will do ,think it gonna be middle of next week
28/07/2006 at 12:54
Sometimes an exit interview is suggested because management suspect there is problem but no one wants to say what it is for fear of retribution/poor reference etc. It may be that they genuinely want your thoughts ??

I would definitely write down - then you have control over what is said and evidence and I would treat it like appraisal (in reverse as it were) and sandwich good points around any negative points ending with positive notes??
28/07/2006 at 20:14
My experience was that my manager thought it "was carp but I have to do it". The reason was as YYPB stated - senior bods were worried that I was walking cos I was piss*d with something. Truth was it was nothing of the kind.

It all ended with a handshake, and a "Good Luck" which frankly was good enough for me...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.