Facebook

Slightly creepy

21 to 40 of 45 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
07/10/2009 at 12:57
Sorry for the hijack Wilkie - as you were...
Lee the Pea    pirate
07/10/2009 at 12:58

Hurrah!

We knew you'd come good in the end LB!

IronM.in    pirate
07/10/2009 at 13:24

With apologies for shamelessly hijacking Wilkie's thread..

If you look back thru the PSOF site and the Pirates History, whilst not wanting to be pedantic, the original premise was that you did an IM from scratch to be a Pirate and wear the kit....

Just saying....

Edited: 07/10/2009 at 13:24
07/10/2009 at 13:36

Wilkie

Check your e-mail account for these people's addresses

My e-mail stores names of anyone who has ever been in contact and FB rifles through that and selects other FB users.

That is what makes it prompt me. I hate it doing that and think it's wrong but it is just computer generated
07/10/2009 at 15:52
Don't think it's pedantry, Min. Nothing wrong with reminding people that the Pirate Ship of Fools was formed with Ironman distance triathlon at its core, as the aim of all who decide to wear the yellow and black.

[/just saying too]
07/10/2009 at 16:32
[nods along like the Churchill dog with Jj and Min.....]
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
07/10/2009 at 16:36
Is that why FF was told he shouldn't wear pirate kit until he was going to do an IM ?
07/10/2009 at 16:44
So ...................... so ...................... there ...are ...... PLASTIC pirates 
Farnie    pirate
07/10/2009 at 16:58

*throws yellow kit at LB and runs from the thread screaming*

07/10/2009 at 17:01
LOL!
┬ŽoD
IronM.in    pirate
07/10/2009 at 17:29

Think FF made that decision for himself in deference....? Might not be true though?

Faaaaaaaaaaaat  Faaaaaaaaaaaaace! Where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?

LIVERBIRD    pirate
07/10/2009 at 17:44

*picks up yellow kit and runs away with it*

That's saved me a few quid...

kittenkat    pirate
07/10/2009 at 18:55
fat buddha wrote (see)
I'm agreeing too.
M...eldy    pirate
07/10/2009 at 18:56
kittenkat wrote (see)
fat buddha wrote (see)
I'm agreeing too.

Which is kind of the point I am trying to get across on the kit thread at the moment !!!
PSC    pirate
07/10/2009 at 19:07

LB said....... Where is the "bullied to death by pirates" box on "how did you hear about us"???

LB, stop belly aching. Get yourself booked in to a proper race. IM is well within your scope.
kittenkat    pirate
07/10/2009 at 19:09
Nicko. wrote (see)
Is that why FF was told he shouldn't wear pirate kit until he was going to do an IM ?

I can't comment on how the Pirates have evolved very recently and what should or shouldn't be piratety (sp) unwritten law (oxymoron?). I actually also hesitate to comment on Pirate history as I am not one of the originals, I jumped aboard relatively late and so therefore, and I'll be honest here, I'm just a passenger. The Pirates was an inspirational idea and has snowballed.

All I can really comment on is my experience. I understood the Pirate philosophy as being you go from non triathlete to Ironman within a year (well 9 months in my case and many others). It is a stiff middle finger to tri ponces who believe that you have to build up slowly over years and years... Many have proved that wrong. The challenge is actually being part of that; for me I didn't wear the kit or feel like I was a true Pirate until I was an Ironman. BUT, that kind of challenge drives me and floats my boat (see what I did there?).

There are some people who DNF in their first IM, but they have taken up the challenge and worked very very hard, and those people come back and try again the next year. That actually embodies the Pirate ethos and spirit more than the people like myself, who actually did have a good endurance base to start off with.

That said, I the fact that the Pirate thing is encouraging so many new people into the sport, that's a great thing and I don't think that anyone should feel intimidated because they don't feel they're 'good' enough.

Anyone who enters an Ironman straight off will get a LOT of support. I'll be totally honest, not everyone IS capable of doing an Ironman, and false hope shouldn't be given: BUT most people who take on the challenge, do succeed within 2 years..

Edited: 07/10/2009 at 19:10
kittenkat    pirate
07/10/2009 at 19:13
Oh, can I just state that I was pointing out an actual oxymoron, not specifically calling Mr Moron, however much I love him.
08/10/2009 at 11:27

Sorry to drag this thread back to the original point, but.....

I know some of these suggested friends casually, I've never emailed them.  Also the email account I use for Facebook contact is not my main one.

So how does it know that I have any kind of connection with them?  Or is it just a co-incidence that out of twenty seven people, I have met at least three (through the forum), and that six or more are pirates (and probably on the forum), and others are clearly runners from their pictures?  I think that is so unlikely as to be impossible.

Are they somehow trawling through RW's data? 

IronM.in    pirate
08/10/2009 at 11:31
Makes you wonder doesn't it Wilkie? I also wonder at the adverts that appear on my Profile Page - they are clearly aimed at what they deem to be "my" demographic - for example, offering me Triathlon goods, or dating agencies for those in their 40's etc. Tis a bit Big Brother - of the George Orwell type, obviously - not the CH 4 type!
debbo    pirate
08/10/2009 at 11:31
Wilkie - aren't the suggested friends already friends with one of your existing friends? I assumed that was how it worked?

and surely no one told FF he couldn't wear pirate kit unless he did an IM - if that's the case there are loads of people wearing it 'illegally'
21 to 40 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.