Fad diets

21 to 40 of 54 messages
24/03/2013 at 17:37

Although obviously you might just think 'oh good, I can eat chips again'. That would work less well.

24/03/2013 at 17:43

I haven't been able to do much exercise for the last 3 years, at times none at all but I have managed my weight by just being careful - plenty of good food, minimal junk and especially with an eye on the portion sizes! Admittedly my bodyfat % has snuck up a bit but you can't have everything.

kittenkat    pirate
24/03/2013 at 17:49
MikeFrog wrote (see)

KK, what do you class as a "fad" diet?

Generally, people seem to use the "fad" word to describe any diet they don't like.

I guess generally, any new diet idea that excluses certain food groups, well anything that isn't of the mantra 'eat less, move more' and promises something different from that.

24/03/2013 at 18:00

Well, I lost about 2 and a half stone a few years ago by eating less bread, pasta and potatoes. That's not really a new diet idea though.

24/03/2013 at 18:09

I lost 3 stone by eating more most days.

24/03/2013 at 18:18
kittenkat wrote (see)
I guess generally, any new diet idea that excluses certain food groups, well anything that isn't of the mantra 'eat less, move more' and promises something different from that.

For example, excluding carbs is not a new diet idea, it's quite an old one; and those who have to stay with low body fat for a living, like models and bodybuilders, all do it, because it does seem to work.

On the other hand, the "low fat" thing that went around a decade or two ago, based on no real evidence, also excludes whole food groups, but nobody seemed to call it a fad. Supermarkets are still making a killing off that one, selling "low fat" this and that.

24/03/2013 at 18:20

The current "fad" from what I see in the papers, is eating very low calorie two or three days a week: "intermittent fasting" or whatever you want to call it. That doesn't exclude any food groups. You might call it a new idea, although I guess animals in nature do tend to eat that way, so perhaps it's natural. So would you call that a fad?

kittenkat    pirate
24/03/2013 at 18:21
MikeFrog wrote (see)
kittenkat wrote (see)

For example, excluding carbs is not a new diet idea, it's quite an old one; and those who have to stay with low body fat for a living, like models and bodybuilders, all do it, because it does seem to work.

On the other hand, the "low fat" thing that went around a decade or two ago, based on no real evidence, also excludes whole food groups, but nobody seemed to call it a fad. Supermarkets are still making a killing off that one, selling "low fat" this and that.

I have no idea never having dieted. But my daily intake is mainly carbs, why am I not fat?

24/03/2013 at 18:30
I changed the way I eat last October. Dropped the amount of carbs i consumed especially processed carbs like bread, pasta and white rice while at the same time I started eating foods high in FAT!! Tasty FAT!!! Mmmm after seeing triathlete pals do very well by eating the same way and doing quite a bit of research. Not talking about totally dropping carbs like i think you do on atkins, just for example not having the 3 slices of wholemeal bread with my dinner time soup at work, not having massive portions of pasta or rice with tea etc and eating more cheese, (lots of cheese), all meat, nuts, eggs, full cream milk, Greek full fat yogurt etc. I also changed 'healthy' spreads & oils like low fat sunflower spread& vegetable oil for butter & cocunut oil. I snack on cream crackers & cheese as well

I expected like with Atkins to have a energy slump for a week or two but had quite the opposite. Gone were the mid run energy slumps and occasional gingerbreadman momements and I got more energy. Someone I told at the start said about cholesterol so I had a test then one each month for November, December & January. My cholesterol improved each month.

I started at 12st 2 with 15% BF which is now 10% BF while eating FAT!!! and I have managed to marathon train with two 20+ with no hitting the wall because my body doesn't rely on glycogen. It utilises FAT!!! For energy. I now weigh 11st 6 and fitter, lighter & faster. All this while eating loads of FAT!!! Inc........lots of SATURATED FAT!!!!! :-O

Is this a fad diet? No it's a way of eating. I am yet to speak to anyone of the growing number of athletes who are eating this way who haven't experienced positive effects.
Edited: 24/03/2013 at 18:33
24/03/2013 at 18:42

KK, I can't say why you are as you are; but I too am eating quite a lot of carbs at the moment, and am not fat, because I am running about 40 miles a week.

What I was really interested in was what gets called a "fad" and what doesn't.

Like, when mobile phones were new, were they a fad?

24/03/2013 at 18:45

Runningowl - I use coconut oil, I have a teaspoon in my tea (mainly for it's anti-bacterial properties). I've read about it's health benefits, the saturated fat in it is very healthy and apparently promotes the body towards burning fat as fuel. I must admit to not entirely understanding how all this works though. I've also moved to eating more butter and my cholesterol has remained pretty static too.

kittenkat    pirate
24/03/2013 at 19:07
MikeFrog wrote (see)

KK, I can't say why you are as you are; but I too am eating quite a lot of carbs at the moment, and am not fat, because I am running about 40 miles a week.

What I was really interested in was what gets called a "fad" and what doesn't.

Like, when mobile phones were new, were they a fad?

I think a 'fad' might be something new that then is disproved to work? But only after a shit load of people have jumped on that particular bandwagon. Mobile phones aren't a fad because they endured the test of time.

kittenkat    pirate
24/03/2013 at 19:08

Are we really talking semantics?

24/03/2013 at 19:11

Runningowl ....... you sure youre not on the wacky baccy right now?

24/03/2013 at 19:17
Absolutely sure mr falconer, why do you ask?
24/03/2013 at 19:33

I agree that a low carb, higher fat diet works better for me

24/03/2013 at 19:35

Because Im sure you said you ate lots of saturated fats as though that was a good thing???

24/03/2013 at 19:41

i don't believe in any of those headline grabbing fad diets.

my 3 minutes a week of high intensity exercise will keep me in shape. 

24/03/2013 at 19:43
Yep that is exactly what I said me falconer. Not saying I go searching for saturated fat but I don't worry about anymore.

This is a brilliant blog. Anyone who can be bothered and wants to know more

http://thetriathletesguidetothegalaxy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about.html?m=1

And this answers a few of the questions asked

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/
24/03/2013 at 19:49
There is the theory that fats are not bad but it's refined or processed carbs. Theory is it's since our society switched to more processed carbs/foods the obesity crisis started.

Refined carbs/sugars are in so many foods they have no right to be in. Hidden sugars in savory foods? It makes it taste better, so it sells better. Commercial sense but not sense for our nation.

If you reduce these carbs, partly by eating food closer to it's natural state, you are eating healthier. Some even claim you can eat proteins and fats a lot more. It does work with some too.

Another thing was with eggs. Years ago they said only eat a couple a week because they are full of cholesterol. Or only eat the egg whites. Truth is you can and should eat as many eggs as you want. They are high in cholesterol but only one type. The type that actually helps destroy the cholesterol in the blood that clogs arteries. Basically eggs help lower bad cholesterol.

I use this example to show how it all gets over simplified. Something gets condemned or proposed as part of diet or health advice based on basic Under standing. But its still wrong. I think sometimes that's how fad diet creators work.

I also think eating food cooked from scratch and regular exercise is the only diet / exercise regime that works. But only if you control your portions. If overweight use a smaller plate to prevent over filling.
21 to 40 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.