Fad diets

41 to 52 of 52 messages
24/03/2013 at 20:32

I agree with runningowl, not because I know any science, but because full fat greek yoghurt is delicious and I eat about a kilo of it a week. Yum. (I'm quite thin).

24/03/2013 at 20:46
Lanky Lad wrote (see)

Refined carbs/sugars are in so many foods they have no right to be in. Hidden sugars in savory foods? It makes it taste better, so it sells better. Commercial sense but not sense for our nation.

If you reduce these carbs, partly by eating food closer to it's natural state, you are eating healthier.

Yep, I've done exactly this over the last month and am steadily losing weight and have loads more energy. I've become quite obsessive at looking at ingredients now and I'm horrified at how much hidden refined sugar there is in savoury stuff. 

24/03/2013 at 20:48

Gah! What the hell's happened to the quote function on here at the moment?

24/03/2013 at 21:07

There is quite a lot of good science these days showing that the major dietary culprit for atherosclerotic disease is carbs, not fats

24/03/2013 at 21:10

Fats are also better at telling the brain that you are full and don't need any more food.  Carbs aren't very good at that so you will eat more, or feel hungrier on a low fat diet.  That's where diets like WW and SW fall down as they encourage you to cut out one of the foods that leaves you feeling satisfied.

24/03/2013 at 21:40
There's even sugar in toothpaste, some more than others I believe. Makes me tempted to use pure baking soda, after all its 75% down to the brushing action over the gunk on the brush.

It's amazing what does have refined sugars. World gone draft if you ask me. Won't change so long as someone's making money out of it. Cheaper to add rubbish than make something taste good naturally.
24/03/2013 at 22:08

Toothpaste?    Bloomin' 'eck I never thought to check that!

24/03/2013 at 22:15
There is corn syrup (ie processed sugary crap) added into some honey makes. Why would you need to add more sweetness into a natural sweetener? Madness
24/03/2013 at 22:46

I guess the corn syrup is a cheaper ingredient?

LIVERBIRD    pirate
25/03/2013 at 07:10
I've met dentists who don't recommend toothpaste on your teeth at all, certainly not the ones you get in the supermarket.
25/03/2013 at 07:29
They've found frog DNA in Freddo's!
25/03/2013 at 10:02

I think the only way to lose weight and maintain it is a decent diet and a good amount of excercise.

My ex once went on the Cambridge Diet and it's cobblers. She did lose weight short term but had headaches, terrible mood swings and her breath smelt like a corpse. I finally managed to talk her out of it and she changed to a more sensible diet. I can't see a GP reccommending something like the Cambridge Diet. She basically ate next to nothing apart from some powdery muck out of a packet. She might as well have eaten bits of dust and lettuce leaves, it would make the same amount of sense.

People in these modern times are conditioned to get everything in an instant. That's why ridiculous diets are succesful, because people see a quick fix and immediately want it without having to invest any actual dedication or effort. It's depressing.

My experience of fad diets from an observers point of view is that they are bad news. Unfortunately most of them employ "reps" or "counsellers" who I don't think should be called that. They are in it to make money and they brain wash people with spiel.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 52 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.