Fad diets

1 to 20 of 42 messages
24/03/2013 at 14:41
Cos they are stupid
24/03/2013 at 15:03

Because the simple truth is too hard to accept?

24/03/2013 at 15:07
Eat less, Exercise more

Simples.... Sadly it requires will power...

Far easier to read some fad in a glossy magazine that says you will lose weight if you only eat cream cakes with your eyes shut and drink vodka
24/03/2013 at 15:32
Don't be stupid KK..... If they worked there would be no fat people around...

As there are loads of munters about they don't...

Happy to test a beer & crisps diet to see if that works
24/03/2013 at 15:57

A fair chunk of the population don't understand nutrition or their bodies.  Some of these diets are endorsed by people who sound like they know what they are doing and have letters after their names.  People are always after a quick fix and the marketing of these diets is such that they sound easy to follow

A lot less people market healthy eating in the same way so people aren't aware of how easy it is to eat a healthy balanced diet that will help with weight loss.

Oh, and people like to feel that they are sacrificing something to achieve their aims without actually sacrificing anything at all.  Healthy eating doesn't fulfil that need as there are no banned foods.

24/03/2013 at 16:03

i tried Atkins when I was massively overweight.

It worked...for a month or so. By then it was disgusting (I smelled, the food was horrible) but I did lose a lot of weight. It was enough of a kick start so I was able to start doing light exercise and feel better about myself (which was the reason for my weight gain).

After which I started eating more sensibly and built up the exercise to where I am now, 7 years on, Ultra runner.

in short, I would not recommend it to anybody, but it worked for me.

24/03/2013 at 16:11

Thats the trouble with all diets kk.  Easy to deprive yourself for a short while.  Harder to change your lifestyle to make it permanent

24/03/2013 at 16:26

There are sustainable ways of losing weight, but most people don't have the patience.  I always find it refreshing when I hear about people who are taking it seriously like your friend

Someone at work is following either WW or SW (to be honest I don't listen too much).  She ws telling me what a fantastic diet it was as she has lost a stone since Christmas with it.

I can't help but thing that the weight loss has very little to do with the diet and more to do with her giving up her 2 glasses of wine every evening.  Of course, once she has reached her 'ideal weight' she will start drinking again and put it all back on

24/03/2013 at 16:44

One of the guys at work said he could *easily* lose 2stone. He's not massive but has a quite a belly (loosing that 2st would be about right). He also says he's on a GI diet. His lunch box includes packet of jaffa cakes and crisps...

Another lady goes regularly to the gym;kettle bells,spin etc. But she drinks (sounds like quite a bit) and doesn't seem to see that as a problem,or not enough of a probem to give up/cut down. She has not changed in about a year she's been with us. 

24/03/2013 at 17:16
kittenkat wrote (see)
the dude abides wrote (see)

i tried Atkins when I was massively overweight.

It worked...for a month or so. By then it was disgusting (I smelled, the food was horrible) but I did lose a lot of weight. It was enough of a kick start so I was able to start doing light exercise and feel better about myself (which was the reason for my weight gain).

After which I started eating more sensibly and built up the exercise to where I am now, 7 years on, Ultra runner.

in short, I would not recommend it to anybody, but it worked for me.

I think the thing with Atkins is sustaining it after the weight loss, how did you find that initially?

I managed it. I think that was because I was 'inspired' by the initial weight loss. I suddenly felt my situation wasn't hopeless. However, I would be surprised if that was typical. The diet itself could and should not be sustained long-term. not if you don't want a heart attack/no friends.

However, what helped me was that I was always sporty as a youngster. came from a sporty family. So exercise wasn't an alien concept, I had just become addicted to junk food.

some people just don't know how to exercise.

24/03/2013 at 17:22

KK, what do you class as a "fad" diet?

Generally, people seem to use the "fad" word to describe any diet they don't like.

24/03/2013 at 17:25

when someone says 'fad' diet to me I think of anything that offers a miracle cure to excess weight.

see also miracle cures for depression/'how to get fit in 3 weeks without trying' headlines etc

*cough* runners world *cough*

24/03/2013 at 17:37

I think some fad diets probably do work because they have some kind of headline gimmick to make them different from the other diets on the market, but are otherwise pretty similar. I can imagine how Atkins would work (apart from the unpleasant side effects mentioned above) because if you aren't eating loads of bulky carbs for a while, you might find you just don't have room to shovel in huge portions of pasta etc. when you stop the diet.

To me a fad diet is one that is not sustainable in the long term.  Often they eliminate entire food groups (and I include treats as a food group here) or encourage you to lose too much weight too quickly.

Fad diets do not teach you about nutrition and how to continue to eat healthily when you reintroduce the food group of stop countng 'points' or whatever currency they use

Although obviously you might just think 'oh good, I can eat chips again'. That would work less well.

24/03/2013 at 17:43

I haven't been able to do much exercise for the last 3 years, at times none at all but I have managed my weight by just being careful - plenty of good food, minimal junk and especially with an eye on the portion sizes! Admittedly my bodyfat % has snuck up a bit but you can't have everything.

24/03/2013 at 18:00

Well, I lost about 2 and a half stone a few years ago by eating less bread, pasta and potatoes. That's not really a new diet idea though.

24/03/2013 at 18:09

I lost 3 stone by eating more most days.

24/03/2013 at 18:18
kittenkat wrote (see)
I guess generally, any new diet idea that excluses certain food groups, well anything that isn't of the mantra 'eat less, move more' and promises something different from that.

For example, excluding carbs is not a new diet idea, it's quite an old one; and those who have to stay with low body fat for a living, like models and bodybuilders, all do it, because it does seem to work.

On the other hand, the "low fat" thing that went around a decade or two ago, based on no real evidence, also excludes whole food groups, but nobody seemed to call it a fad. Supermarkets are still making a killing off that one, selling "low fat" this and that.

24/03/2013 at 18:20

The current "fad" from what I see in the papers, is eating very low calorie two or three days a week: "intermittent fasting" or whatever you want to call it. That doesn't exclude any food groups. You might call it a new idea, although I guess animals in nature do tend to eat that way, so perhaps it's natural. So would you call that a fad?

1 to 20 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.