Falling Off Bikes

Are there any other runners out there who are hapless when out on a bike?

21 to 36 of 36 messages
10/01/2011 at 08:15
Slugsta wrote (see)
 left me huffing and puffing even in the granny ring!
That's got to be a euphemism for something, surely?
10/01/2011 at 15:02

I fell off mine yesterday morning, on the ice within 5 yards of the gate

It's not as if I'm not used to slippery conditions, as I used to compete in a lot of Cyclo-Cross races (not had much chance this winter, & the local season is over now)

It was certainly an interesting ride to work yesterday, & very carefully done (tend to alternate; run one day/ride the other) 

Thursday was fun though, riding to the barbers in the (falling)snow, it was just a bit dodgy when I caught the edges of the speed-bumps on Lime-Pit Lane (front wheel 'wash-outs')

Last February, I came off twice in 500 yards (same situation - rained overnight, then froze), I seriously thought I'd broken my wrist back then, as it hurt so much I 'saw stars'

Mindst you.... '20' section tyres @ 100PSI aren't that grippy on ice

10/01/2011 at 15:30
RT - you're riding on 20's on ice?? very brave or a complete nutter...

seems the ice created a lot of road rash yesterday as I know quite a few who came off. I managed to avoid a fall but not due to ice - I was pointing out a pothole to my missus who was behind me so only had one hand on the bars, when my front wheel hit some chunk of that pothole. having only one hand on the bar created some serious wobble which took me up onto the pavement and the back onto the road, but I just managed to hang on - dog knows how! that was 2 mins from home and I managed to get a couple of hours in without any further issue, otherwise it would have been a very short ride!
Edited: 10/01/2011 at 15:30
gingerfurball    pirate
10/01/2011 at 15:47
I fall off alot - mostly clipless pedal related - once I'm going I'm grand - I'm not good at stopping - I was chatting to a girl today and she was saying that our local cycle club has a "ladies" Saturday morning ride for novices - sounds just what I need  NOT- a bunch of insecure, wobbly inexperienced riders for me to clean!
10/01/2011 at 15:54
williambloke wrote (see)
Slugsta wrote (see)

cheeky!
10/01/2011 at 16:05

I used to commute a lot and came off a few times on ice. 

Once though two gentlemen had the grace to do it just before me and so I slid to the side of the roundabout and a nice comfy landing.  One bloke even had an allen key to straighten the handlebars back up.

10/01/2011 at 19:53
gingerfurball wrote (see)
I fall off alot - mostly clipless pedal related - once I'm going I'm grand - I'm not good at stopping - I was chatting to a girl today and she was saying that our local cycle club has a "ladies" Saturday morning ride for novices - sounds just what I need  NOT- a bunch of insecure, wobbly inexperienced riders for me to clean!

have you got your pedals adjusted to a loose fitting, so that it's easy to get out of them?
10/01/2011 at 20:38

I seriously doubt there's anyone on this thread who is as shit on a bike as me.

I only learnt to ride last year and I have taken beingshitonabike to undreamt-of dimensions.

10/01/2011 at 21:36

I don't know, I'm pretty shit on a bike - I do a clipless-pedal-TIM-BER when off-roading at least half a dozen times each ride, to my riding buddies' amusement (they don't use clipless pedals).

Mind you, at least I didn't pull a wheelie and fall straight over the back in front of two women like my mate Pat did the other week. At 45 years old. On a bike that even Halfords wouldn't sell.

10/01/2011 at 21:37

Clipless pedals?

I can't even use normal pedals!

10/01/2011 at 22:12

For anyone interested as to how I fell of a tricycle on the Camel Trail the explanations are as follows -

I failed my 11 plus.

I never had a tonsillectomy.

I only had brothers.

Simples!

10/01/2011 at 22:16
Slugsta wrote (see)
williambloke wrote (see)
Slugsta wrote (see)

cheeky!

tee hee!
11/01/2011 at 16:13

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/442128/Gallery/Cycling._2008._Dyna-Tech_755Ti._3.JPG

fat buddha wrote (see)
RT - you're riding on 20's on ice?? very brave or a complete nutter...

They're the biggest I can get on that frame with mudguards, as it's very close-clearance!!! (1994 Dyna-Tech 755Ti) & that's with 'Salmon Profil' mudguards!!!

Well I get the 'Nutter' jibes anyway for riding/running to work whatever the weather, during the December snow, I ran every day (Inov-8 Mud-Claw 330's work great in snow/slush)

11/01/2011 at 16:42

JB, I only learned to ride in the past couple of years, at the grand age of 50+. Not only am I carp, there's little hope of me improving appreciably!

BBH - clear as mud!

11/01/2011 at 17:34
RT - I ran almost every day in the snow as well - fell over a couple of times on well-trodden ice but mostly had a lovely few outings in Swinley Forest
gingerfurball    pirate
11/01/2011 at 18:55
Vicky Pea wrote (see)
gingerfurball wrote (see)

have you got your pedals adjusted to a loose fitting, so that it's easy to get out of them?
I've now got pedals which clip in and out really, really easy - I just haven't had the chance (nerve) to get out on the bike for a while.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.