Fancy a bit of cooking?

21 to 39 of 39 messages
01/05/2013 at 16:34

So from this thread I have learnt that people don't really want new energy food ideas. Just fast food with alcohol??

01/05/2013 at 16:37

sorry that would be my fault hijacking the thread with baileys!  I'll be good now and let it get back to the yummy healthy energy food ideas! 

01/05/2013 at 16:40

No, the Vicar's started me off on food with alcohol ideas now.  How about porridge with dark rum?

01/05/2013 at 16:43
PhilPub wrote (see)
Peter Collins wrote (see)

You lost me at bacon, vic, being one of those veggie types lambasted in general on other threads.

My proportion of veggie consumption has recently increased because Waitrose have re-introduced their freshly made baguettes filled with sweet potato, falafel and houmous.  Phwoarr!

Sounds nice. Must take a look - but what's the fat content like?

01/05/2013 at 16:55
Peter Collins wrote (see)

Sounds nice. Must take a look - but what's the fat content like?

I was wondering about this myself today because it's in danger of becoming my new favourite regular lunch.  (Along with a couple of raw carrots and an apple, so that's not so bad!)

...I've just realised there's an erroneous comma above. I assumed there was sweet potato AND falafel in there, but having browsed the website it looks as though they're actually sweet potato falafels!  Doesn't look too bad actually; I'm guessing the worst offence in the whole thing would be whatever the falafels are fried in, but per 100g they're 12.9g fat, of which 1.54g saturated fat.  The rest of it is sourdough baguette, houmous, and a bit of rocket and tomato.  Hardly Slimmer's World, but that'll do me.

01/05/2013 at 16:58
PhilPub wrote (see)

The best thing to do with Bailey's is add it to MaccyD's chocolate milkshake.  Perks it up a treat.

Or vodka ...

And then dip french fries in it

I like the sound of the rice cakes, but without the dried fruit.

01/05/2013 at 17:01
PhilPub wrote (see)

No, the Vicar's started me off on food with alcohol ideas now.  How about porridge with dark rum?

yummy!

xine267 wrote (see)
PhilPub wrote (see)

The best thing to do with Bailey's is add it to MaccyD's chocolate milkshake.  Perks it up a treat.

Or vodka ...

And then dip french fries in it

Really?! that sounds like some concoction I would have had when I was pregnant lol 

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 17:01
01/05/2013 at 17:04

It's delicious with or without the added booze ... if you like things like chocolate covered pretzels

01/05/2013 at 17:07

Any other topping / flavouring on the rum porridge? I think it would work with golden syrup or lots of brown sugar, maybe some chopped up banana and walnuts on top.

Have you tried this? Best Food-With-Rum-In EVER www.tortugarumcakes.com

Edited: 01/05/2013 at 17:07
01/05/2013 at 17:15
Screamapillar wrote (see)
the dude abides wrote (see)

im making miniature cheesecakes out of digestive biscuits, dairylea and jam.

Dairylea? Are you sure Dude?

ja. for sure.

01/05/2013 at 17:21
PhilPub wrote (see)
I'm guessing the worst offence in the whole thing would be whatever the falafels are fried in

Rapeseed oil. Definitely not the worst choice. 

01/05/2013 at 18:06

Most of the fat will be the oil in the hummus. Probably also fine.

01/05/2013 at 19:37
xine267 wrote (see)

Any other topping / flavouring on the rum porridge? I think it would work with golden syrup or lots of brown sugar, maybe some chopped up banana and walnuts on top.

Well if you add sultanas before you cook the porridge they'll soak up some of the booze. Than add pecans. And a bit of cream - more dessert than breakfast but I bet it would tast great

01/05/2013 at 19:55
literatin wrote (see)

Most of the fat will be the oil in the hummus. Probably also fine.

As my mother in law says "it's not fat - it's oil"

Nurse Ratched    pirate
02/05/2013 at 09:47

Vicar, I've made the variation of that Allen Lim recipe without the sweet stuff - just the bacon & eggs.  

I love them.

Nurse Ratched    pirate
02/05/2013 at 09:52

This recipe , and I keep them in the freezer and take a couple out the night before I need them

02/05/2013 at 10:00
Screamapillar wrote (see)
xine267 wrote (see)

Well if you add sultanas before you cook the porridge they'll soak up some of the booze. Than add pecans. And a bit of cream - more dessert than breakfast but I bet it would tast great

I like your style! It would make a perfect pre-race breakfast for Marathon du Medoc

02/05/2013 at 11:58

HA!  NR loves the rice cakes I am not the only one!!!! Whoop Whoop

Nurse Ratched    pirate
02/05/2013 at 13:02

Whoa, whoa, whoa there ... without the sweet stuff. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.