Fancy a bit of cooking?

1 to 20 of 39 messages
01/05/2013 at 12:23

Just come across this if anybody was interested. Seems quite yummy and a bit different for them longer runs. I think it's more aimed at long distance cyclists however I think it would still apply for us runners

There are as many sports nutrition bars as candy bars these days, so the idea of making your own portable energy food might seem like overkill. But many of the grocery store options are packed with additives and preservatives, which can be tough on an athlete’s stomach. Plus, the sugary nature of most prepackaged bars can lead to flavor fatigue when consuming hundreds of calories over several hours. At least that’s what professional riders like Levi Leipheimer told sports physiologist Allen Lim when he worked as director of sports science for the RadioShack and Garmin teams. So Lim created homemade whole-food bars instead. He’s published his favorite recipes—including these cashew-and-bacon rice cakes—in his new book The Feed Zone cookbook. Lim says the savory combination of bacon, cashews, and nut butter is a counterbalance to all the sugary options on the market, and the extra protein is optimal for long training sessions. “If you’re looking for convenience, this isn’t it,” Lim says. “It’s about a better way to fuel.”

Cashew and Bacon Rice Cakes

1. Cook two cups of Calrose or other medium-grain sticky rice.
2. While the rice is cooking, fry 225g of bacon till crisp, then wrap in paper towels to remove grease. Crumble bacon.
3. Drain the fat from the pan. Lightly beat three eggs in a small bowl and gently scramble in same pan, over medium heat.
4. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, bacon, and scrambled eggs. Then add in 1/2 cup cashews, 1/4 c???up nut butter, and 1/2 cup raisins. Mix well and press mixture into a 9-inch-square pan to about 1.5-inch thickness.
5. Cool thoroughly in fridge, then cut into ten individual cakes and wrap in parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy carrying on a ride.

Nutrition per serving (1 cake): 286 calories, 14 g fat, 246 mg sodium, 31 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein

01/05/2013 at 12:59

Euw.. I can't quite see the fruit and nuts going with the rice, eggs and bacon TBH. 

I have to say the image in my mind is of one of those fat blocks you put in a bird feeder 

01/05/2013 at 13:00

seren nos    pirate
01/05/2013 at 13:04

sorry doesn't sound appertizing at all .will stick to my ginger cake

Pudge    pirate
01/05/2013 at 13:05

That sounds pretty rank actually TV!

Think I'll head on back over to the oats thread...

01/05/2013 at 13:07
Pudge wrote (see)

That sounds pretty rank actually TV!

Think I'll head on back over to the oats thread...

Quite right Pudge, everybody needs to get their oats 

01/05/2013 at 14:05

Just me then

Pudge    pirate
01/05/2013 at 14:33
TheVicar wrote (see)

Just me then

Looks that way Vicar.  Come and get your oats with the rest of us instead.

01/05/2013 at 15:45

Sell Oats to me and I may jump ship....

01/05/2013 at 15:51

im making miniature cheesecakes out of digestive biscuits, dairylea and jam.

01/05/2013 at 15:55

Now their is a niche market. Goof thinking batman I love cheesecake

01/05/2013 at 15:57

I made a fab baileys cheesecake with digestive biscuits and philidelphia at christmas..... Had about a million calories in each mouthful, and you had to be careful about eating it and driving but was to die for

01/05/2013 at 15:58

im channeling my inner Heston

for the record I quite like the sound of your bacon and cashew rice cake things. although im probably too lazy to make them.

01/05/2013 at 16:01

TDA that's what the Mrs is for

GingerG I don't think on a long run being munted off my face on Bailey's will help anybody....but then again

01/05/2013 at 16:05

You lost me at bacon, vic, being one of those veggie types lambasted in general on other threads.

01/05/2013 at 16:06
the dude abides wrote (see)

im making miniature cheesecakes out of digestive biscuits, dairylea and jam.

Dairylea? Are you sure Dude?

01/05/2013 at 16:15
Peter Collins wrote (see)

You lost me at bacon, vic, being one of those veggie types lambasted in general on other threads.

My proportion of veggie consumption has recently increased because Waitrose have re-introduced their freshly made baguettes filled with sweet potato, falafel and houmous.  Phwoarr!

01/05/2013 at 16:16
TheVicar wrote (see)

GingerG I don't think on a long run being munted off my face on Bailey's will help anybody....but then again

Fair point.....I tried running down the stairs after eating a LOT of it and it didn't end well so you may be right there!

01/05/2013 at 16:18

The best thing to do with Bailey's is add it to MaccyD's chocolate milkshake.  Perks it up a treat.

01/05/2013 at 16:23
PhilPub wrote (see)

The best thing to do with Bailey's is add it to MaccyD's chocolate milkshake.  Perks it up a treat.

mmmmmmmmm sounds delish! I may just have to stop at the MaccyD's drive through on the way home and try that!

It's also good to add into a chocolate fondue

1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.