Fans of Thanet

A general forum for runners in Thanet

9,601 to 9,620 of 10,114 messages
12/03/2011 at 10:55
I like it as a race and since I am going on holiday for two weeks afterwards I will still run it anyway. It beggers the question though, why did the Kent Athletics folk let them do it? Surely if every club took the same attitude there would not be a Grand Prix. Also, could they not have tried to cajole a few other halves, friends etc to do the marshalling. I just think it leaves a nasty taste and smacks of favouritism. As JFDI points out, we could really ruin the calendar if we decided to do the same.
12/03/2011 at 11:38
Ed You have RW mail.
13/03/2011 at 01:53

A lot of you know that I am "out there somewhere in the Far East" ...

Just to reassure people, I was nowhere near the earthquake or tsunami (although water levels did rise a bit around the coasts in Korea) ...

The prevailing spring wind is north west to south east so we are not (yet) in the path of any nuclear fallout from the Fukushima plant ...

All is well ... although I am concerned about many ex-colleagues and ex-students who live in Miyagi area...

PSC    pirate
13/03/2011 at 07:29

thanks DB, good to hear.  Bobo and I were thinking of you last night although I was sure you were in a different part of the world.  You've confirmed that. 

If anyone's at a loose end today, the quad bike racing on Margate beach is worth an hour...  we went yesterday and enjoyed it.  It's free too!

13/03/2011 at 08:45

DB, good to hear you're ok.

We went too yesterday PSC, can't believe how many people were down there, was good to watch

13/03/2011 at 17:29

Many thanks to TT and his father-in-law Mike for the lift to Lydd and their company today. TRAC had a turnout of, I think, 7 with the two of us plus Steve King and TJ also running, together with a couple whom I did not recognise and their son, who won the children's race by a fair margin.

The course is totally flat and despite a fair amount of wind I think there were quite a few PBs around with TT and I both getting one and me getting below 2hrs for a Half at the 21st attempt! This race got a very bad press over the last 2 years and they really made a huge effort this time and it was almost faultless. A big improvement.

13/03/2011 at 18:34

Thanks JFDI - that's all newsletters posted, so hopefully everyone will have theirs within the next few days.

Good to hear all's relatively well in your part of the East, DB.

Cinders/PSC - is that the same quad bikes that meant wewe couldn't have our 10 this morning?!

Very well done on cracking that 2 hr mark at long last, CB ! I know they've been canned recently, but fair play if they've pulled their finger out. No results up yet, but I'll keep an eye out.... That might have been Sarah and Stephen - I know his lad runs in the juniors.

I felt very heavy legged out this morning, after two big mileage weeks (for me, at least!) - was glad I didn't have much more than 13 pencilled in anyway!

13/03/2011 at 20:32

Well done CB!

Only 3 people turned up at the Pavilion this morning - 2 were really nice about it and one (an ex TRAC member was a complete a**e but heyho!  The 2 guys both deferred till this year as they like our races and one was off to enter our marathon as he's heard good things about that too

Glad to hear DB is safe - sending positive thoughts to your friends

13/03/2011 at 20:42

Oops, sorry Ed, yes, the same quads.  They'd be brill of course on another weekend

Glad there were only 3 JFDI

14/03/2011 at 08:12
slight suspicion the course might have been short at Lydd but I'm well chuffed with my PB of 1:28. Great to see TJ running well again too - I only just caught him up at the end. Lovely day off for me as well today to recover! Feels lovely and Spring-like now, the mornings are lighter and it's great to be out running.
14/03/2011 at 15:27
I don't think the course was certified for yesterday - they had one for 2009 course but on their website it said the 2010 had been slightly altered so therefore the course certificate wouldn't stand.  Annoying because they are a company that makes money from their races on a commercial basis. 
14/03/2011 at 16:58
JFDI It was a bit more than "slightly" altered. The start and finish was in a totally different place. My Garmin showed 12.96 when I finished which does leave me slightly suspicious. This was confirmed by the fact that most of the mile markers in the second half were around 0.10 to 0.12 "early" by my reckoning. It was a lot better than last time, but they still have some work to do. I think it is significant that when you look at the results only about 20% of runners were attached to a club.
14/03/2011 at 19:41
I did it in 2009 and the course being accurate was pretty much the only thing which was ok with it.  I will never do another race organised by them after having another bad experience at another race.  Forget "Nice Work" - more like "Crap Work". 
14/03/2011 at 20:21
CB - a message from Sir CdeC - congratulations on the sub 2 hours
15/03/2011 at 07:59
JFDI Thanks, that was nice of him.
15/03/2011 at 08:08
Ed On the TRAC website you tell us about a pre-marathon sale at Sweatshop Maidstone on the bevening of March 24th. Is that open to everyone or do you need to be runiing VLM?
15/03/2011 at 09:17
CB, they're the only details that Phil sent through. I'd imagine it's open to all, although maybe the physio thing might be VLM runners only - it's just a theme to get punters through the door. Could always drop them a line to make sure? My local one to work is in Harrods - I braved that on Friday to spend my GP vouchers (not again in a  rush - tourists everywhere!)
15/03/2011 at 10:57
Ed Thanks for that. I was thinking about using my GP vouchers at Maidstone, the only problem is that this year's Nike Pegasus, which I tend to wear, has a horrible colour scheme. Even my wife said "those look girly", so I am not too sure what to go for instead. Has the Harrods Sweatshop got a good choice? I bet they don't have many bargains though. I checked out the new Sweatshop in Bluewater at the weekend and it was useless.
15/03/2011 at 12:17
I was going to wait unitl we next head up to Dartford and look in the Bluewater shop, but I needed some new shoes!! Sweatshop in Harrods didn't have a huge choice, but I was after NB760s in particular - which they had and at the same sale price as that online, so it was fine for me.
15/03/2011 at 22:17
I popped into Sweatshop at Maidstone having not been there for a few years and was quite disappointed, less running gear and virtually no offers, thank god for start fitness online, always have plenty of bargains and the cheapest price on trainers.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.