Fans of Thanet

A general forum for runners in Thanet

141 to 160 of 10,114 messages
10/01/2008 at 08:48

bo-bo  right the plan is this.  The Girls are meeting at Barbara's at the usual time 8.30.  Its approx 7 miles from my house to Barbara's so I recon if we meet at 7.15 we shuld have time for a nice little trott over.  Probably would be easier to meet at a local landmark rather than trying to find my house so Lets say we meet outside the Granville Theatre/Cinema on Victoria Parade East Cliff Ramsgate at 7.15. (if you cant find it on google maps or something give Sharon a call and I'm sure we can send directions.)

The only slight difficulty is shoes.  the run over to barbara is on road.  So depending on how "off road" the usual Saturday morning is (having  been banned from these little jaunts before I dont know) Then Im not totally sure what would be best. 

Cliff Face are you still joining us ??

Bill.  The meeting last night was delighted with your suggestion from promoting our events so lets crack on.  Are you planning to meet us on Saturday at Barbara's ?

10/01/2008 at 09:17
will find the landmark - I'm sure there won't be many nutters in running kit hanging around Ramsgate at 7.15am! Shoes - will wear an older pair of road; last Saturday was a couple of ploughed fields and the latter part of the duathlon course, hopefully someone will pull me out/up if I slip over in the mud! See you - and hopefully Cliff Face, the more the merrier - Saturday.
10/01/2008 at 09:54

Mark

I am a wimp,  I don't do off road at all well so I will not be joining you I am afraid. I just don't feel comfortable running in those conditions and it is no fun as a result, so I will stick to my tarmac and gravel routes.

Thanks for the go-ahead on the events front, I will get cracking on that soon.

10/01/2008 at 10:14

Well just discovered you lot hiding out here.

MF7 I will be there Saturday and I am looking forward to it

10/01/2008 at 11:59

CB - there was plenty of tarmac too (50%) and the mud was toward the end, trust me I'm not a good off-roader.

10/01/2008 at 12:08

I'm sure if you guys speak nicely to Barbara she can find a slightly cleaner route!

Also meeting in Ramsgate in the Belgian Bar at 7.30 ish for drinks for MF7 birthday if anyone is up for it

10/01/2008 at 12:09
Birthday drinks - day?
10/01/2008 at 13:20

bo-bo and in fact all our friends from Thanet  Birthday drinks are on Saturday eve 7.30 ish meeting in the Belgiun Bar Ramsgate harbour.. Hope to see a few of you there

10/01/2008 at 13:50

You rotters, you would pick a night when I am taking part in a quiz wouldn't you! Otherwise I would have loved to join you as I am very partial to Belgian Beer and have visited the little pub in Bruges which does 300 different varieties

http://www.brugsbeertje.be/index_en.htm

Mark, you can work your way through this site and have a couple of virtual beers on me!

10/01/2008 at 13:57
Sorry Bill I will have a word with my mum and tell her that she should have had me on another day knowing that 46 years later my good running buddy Bill would be busy and miss out on my Birthday drinkies
10/01/2008 at 15:09

Mark

I could also have told you that you share a birthday with my late grannie who was also born on the 12th, my Mum is the 15th and my late Dad was the 18th, so there you go, you are in good company!

PS You don't look a day over 45 3/4

PSC    pirate
10/01/2008 at 22:12

CB, sorry, I have only just spotted your question on the last page vis a vis the mid-week training thing. 

I am not as good as you might think.  I have a schedule which has me doing something every day except Monday  which is my declared rest day.  The reality is that I don't always train every day - sometimes I am too tired.  The trick to this is the schedule.  Don't get too anal about it - but knowing that you should be doing something as per the schedule is the incentive to JFDI.  If you have a schedule saying that you will run every other day, you have the flexibilty to move a day if you are too tired from work, or the train is late or whatever..... the other thing I hold close to my heart is that 30 mins is better than no mins - in fact some very successful athletes have shown that running good quality 30 mins sessions is as good as a non-structured longer session. 

Sometimes its tough................... just keep reminding yourself that less than 1% of people will ever get to a mara distance!  You are part of that elite   (apparently some people go through and beyond the mara distance - they must be plain stoooopid)  

11/01/2008 at 09:34

PSC

Thanks for your advice. Mark's schedule is for three runs of 4-5 miles midweek, so it is not much more than the 30 mins you were saying. I managed to drag myself out last night because I think the first time is important, if you go through with it in snotty weather like last night's you are more likely to do it next time; but if you bottle it first nasty night you have set yourself a dangerous precedent. I actually found it reasonably "refreshing" and it helped to blow the cobwebs of the city and commuting away, and I also slept like a log which is unusual for me, so all positive.

Oh, by the way, that's Bo Bo and Mark creeping up behind you with a couple of baseball bats!

11/01/2008 at 10:10

oi who are you calling stoooopid 

Good advice PSC. Bill the schedule is designed to be flexible and I have tried to write it so that most people can fit it in to there working lives hence the midweek sessions being only 4/5 miles there is no point in suggesting people run a 15 mile lsr on a wednesday as most of us have to work and would just never do it.  I ran my first FLM (4.24) on only two mid week runs of 4/5 and 1 weekend lsr.

11/01/2008 at 10:40
Don't worry Mark, I'll be flexible!
PSC    pirate
11/01/2008 at 12:46

CB - the Shades thread talks about the same thing.  Ie running a mara on 3 runs per week.  If you can fit in a 4th that's great, but is based on a LSR (w/e), recovery run (early in the week) and a tempo run later in the week.  Increase distance for 3 weeks then step back in distance.  I am sure mark has covered off that philosophy in his plan.  I'm told it's the first 100 yards that are the hardest - i tend to agree with that... once you have got a 100 yards away from the house the run becomes good fun.  Getting good kit (hat/gloves/waterproof gillet) is key to winter running.  Don't layer up with too many clothes - you will simply overheat, sweat like a pig and hate the whole thing.

Now I'm off into hiding until those two put their baseball bats away

PSC    pirate
11/01/2008 at 12:47
I should have added - either get good kit or a treadmill!  You can stay indoors with the later - although it's not the same.  I did 3 miles on my tready last night.
11/01/2008 at 13:02

PSC the key to winter running is to just get out there in shorts and a T shirt and when it gets really cold maybe add a bandana

where's bo-bo with the baseball bats ?

11/01/2008 at 13:05

PSC

I used to use the treadmill a lot before I joined TRAC. I once did 20k on a treadmill in two hours which was what encouraged me to do my first ever race. I regularly used the treadmill down the gym for an hour at a time. I now wish I had realised the "joys" of club running 5 years ago. Though, to be fair, the gym did of course have all the other kit for strengthening up different bits of your body but to be honest I hardly ever used those and I have now cancelled my gym sub completely.

PS Don't worry, I am sure Bo Bo will not hit you anywhere important.

11/01/2008 at 13:07
Has anybody heard if Cinders is still "with child"?
141 to 160 of 10,114 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.