Faux Pas in Foreign Languages

8 messages
10/09/2002 at 12:30
I seem to remember an urban myth about a Spanish au-pair in a French household who was asked to put the cake (gateau) in the fridge, and put in the cat (gato) instead.

My linguistic ability is so rudimentary that I have never had the confidence to make a blooper in any language.
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
10/09/2002 at 12:39
The most famous german faux pas/faux ami was by JFK when he wanted to day I am an inhabitant of Berlin, he said "Ich bin ein Berliner"

Unfortunately this translates to "I am a doughnut!!!!"

10/09/2002 at 12:39
My local shopping centre (here in Iceland where am at the moment) is called Glera Torg - which means something like the Happy Shopping Centre.

Mispronounce it as Glera Tort and it means Happy Blowjob.

I like the one about Tide washing powder - apparently in Denmark it just didn't sell because Tide means 'menstural flow'.

10/09/2002 at 12:54
I spent a year in Spain as part of my degree...they have coffee called Bonka and sliced bread called Bimbo! They also have condoms called Holysex, kind of ironic given that it's a Catholic country. Wondered if they were for use only on Sundays?

Girls in my Spanish class at school once said 'estoy caliente', trying to say I feel hot - 'estoy caliente' actually means 'I'm horny'!
10/09/2002 at 13:16
In Germany again...

I was travelling with a couple of guys who needed to use the public toilets - Damen for ladies and Herren for men. Whilst doing their business they heard some women come in talking and realised they'd gone into the wrong toilet block. Their logic - Damen sounds like 'Da Men' and as Herren is a bird it must mean ladies!

I was once describing my fear when out walking and coming across a snail (meaning to say snake - schlanger and schnecker). Got some strange looks at that one!
10/09/2002 at 13:26
tubs - seem to remember there's a similar faux pas available in German if you feel too hot and say "Ich bin warm" - that could easily guarantee you some interesting (same-sex) company!
And (if female, and feeling a bit chilly) "Ich bin kalt" may also result in being ignored by the opposite sex - though for a slightly different reason....
10/09/2002 at 16:43
Have you ever invited someone to go skiing with you on the SECOND highest mountain in Germany? Believe me its a bit of a hoot.............look it up on the internet and then when someone asks you where your going for the weekend reply in a bold voice "I'm going to spend some time on the ...."

Can you work it out?
10/09/2002 at 16:58
This is a bit obscure but... the mistress of some politician had a last name which, in Norwegian, means c**t - so, in the Norwegian books that mention her, it is always without her last name.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.