Favourite album

What's yours ?

21 to 40 of 43 messages
17/05/2012 at 15:13

Yep, the original members of Genesis went to a posh public school and all came from Surrey, and speak posh.  I won't hold that against them.   They made bloody good music.  Not sure what that's got to do with David Cameron though.

I suppose amongst the most obscure references on this thread are some of the lesser-known artists listed by BOTF, but I've got no reason to believe that he doesn't genuinely feel they're all his favourites.

17/05/2012 at 15:20
BDB- It's just that he gave a very "safe" answer. Very convenient that "Dave" gave an everyday blokey answer. Cameron want to shed the posh boy label so he goes for the boring, middle-of-the-road answers.
17/05/2012 at 15:24

Possibly but, as I said, it is one of the biggest selling albums of all time.  He's bound to have it.  I'd have bigger doubts over Gordon Brown having a copy.

17/05/2012 at 15:42

Must admit that apart from the Paul Simon and Undertones albums, I haven't heard any of BOTF's selections, although I will check some of the others out.

I think with more recent albums, the really strong ones aren't always obvious at the time. For instance, back in '77 I would never have imagined that the one punk album that would really stand the test of time and still be worth listening to 30 odd years later would be Wire's "Pink Flag".

Now if David Cameron had chosen "Ummagumma"....

17/05/2012 at 15:42
Believe it or not even I have a vinyl copy somewhere. I hardly listened to it. Only Pink Floyd albums I liked are Pipers at the Gates of Dawn and Relics. And I really dislike Shine on You Crazy Diamond
17/05/2012 at 15:45
We do like a bit of 70's David Jones in our house.
17/05/2012 at 16:06

Me too !

18/05/2012 at 18:33

Slightly off-topic, the worst album I've ever listened to (and certainly bought) has to be "Metal Machine Music" by Lou Reed.

I was going through a Velvet Underground phase at the time and had bought (and really enjoyed) "Transformer" a couple of months earlier.

Expecting something similar, I got "MMM" home, listened to the whole of the first side and then could stand no more. It never got played again.

19/05/2012 at 09:52

Astral Weeks, debut solo album by Van Morrison. Although being well into my 40s I do of course like a bit of early Genesis - Lamb is the best I'd say. If you think it's pretentious...

19/05/2012 at 10:32

"The Flat Earth" by Thomas Dolby got played on Radio Six the other night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVAbBRMkQ-E

It reminded me what a great album that was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flat_Earth

I wish I still had a copy of it.

It's funny how, when you haven't heard a track for a decade, you can still remember the words.

Dark Vader    pirate
19/05/2012 at 11:29

This is such a hard question actually..  not sure that I could pick just one album, as there are so many great ones...   being a massive early Genesis fan, I would choose a few of those but there are so many...  perhaps a 'Top 10 albums in no particular order' might be an easier question to answer.  I'll think about that....

19/05/2012 at 22:04
Metal Machine Music is impossible to listen to. I'm sure it was released as some sort of protest against his record company.
19/05/2012 at 23:00

I quite like Lou Reed's "Growing up in public"

but favourite album is probably "remain in light" by talking heads.

I am not a fan of "DSOTM"

Edited: 19/05/2012 at 23:02
19/05/2012 at 23:41
I dreamed a dream - Susan Boyle
20/05/2012 at 00:58

Love it - favourite music, so tough to pin it down, where do I start?

Metallica - Metallica (Black album)
Biffy Cyro - Only Revolutions
AC/DC - Higway to Hell
AC/DC - Back in Black
Calvin Harris - I Created Disco
Adele - 21
Slayer - Reign in Blood
De La Soul - 3ft high and rising

20/05/2012 at 12:29

Picking up on Dark Vader's suggestion; top 10 albums in no particular order after the first 2:

Bob Dylan - Bootleg series volumes 1 - 3

Bob Dylan - Blonde on blonde

Bob Dylan - Blood on the tracks

The Band - The Band

Wire - Pink flag

Man - Keep on crinting (local heroes in '70's Swansea and the first band I saw live)

Joy Division - Closer

Steely Dan - Can't buy a thrill

Yes - Close to the edge

Neil Young - Decades

20/05/2012 at 22:14
Joe Volcano wrote (see)

Although being well into my 40s I do of course like a bit of early Genesis - Lamb is the best I'd say. If you think it's pretentious...

Listened to in its entirety yesterday and today on the train to/from Cornwall.  Think I got away with some nifty air-keyboard to Riding the Scree. 

20/05/2012 at 23:02
I think it only fair that Phil had the good running gene but was balanced by the lack of cool musical taste gene.
20/05/2012 at 23:03
Money was on Radio 6 today. Bag O'Shite!!
21/05/2012 at 07:42

Love lists..

Back in Balck AC/DC

Renegade Thin Lizzy

Any Bacharach Album

Dig Lazarus Diz Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Dark Horse Nickleback

Beautiful Mess Swing out Sister

Music for the morning after Peter Yorn

Ten Pearl Jam

Hybrid Theory / Meteora Linkin Park

Any Leonard Cohen

Greatest Hits Psychedlic Furs ...

Mainly rock but also listen to 80s pop as well

Culture Club and Duran Duran anybody (Seven and the ragged Tiger)

21 to 40 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.