Favourite album

What's yours ?

1 to 20 of 43 messages
16/05/2012 at 21:42

Reports in the papers today that David Cameron's favourite album of all time is "Dark Side of the Moon". Not a bad shout, if a little predictable, but what's yours ?

Just to start, my vote goes to Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Volumes 1 - 3. Released in 1991, the quality of those 50 odd previously unreleased tracks was simply stunning. In those pre-internet days, it was the first time I had heard tracks as jaw-dropping as "Farewell Angelina", "She's Your Lover Now" and "Blind Willie McTell" ( to single out just 3)  and 20 years later, it is still my favourite album of all time.

Excluding compilations, my vote goes to "Blonde on Blonde", for the sheer variety, originality and quality of the songs.

16/05/2012 at 21:50

Bollox

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd. to think that I'm almost a politician.  I like Animals as well.

Trying to think if I have any other albums that I pull out and play all the time. can't think off hand.

16/05/2012 at 22:29

OK Computer - Radiohead, although I too love Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

16/05/2012 at 22:34

I also really like wish you were here. Which was why I used Crazy Diamond as my name when I first signed up (until I realised there was another Crazy Diamond on here and it got a bit confusing). Dunno if it's my favourite album ever. I think I'd need a short list of at least 10.

16/05/2012 at 22:35
20 years ago? Blimey!
Anglelina and Blind Willie Mctell were on a great bootleg, "Outfidels" before the official release.
Steely Dan can't buy a thrill, or Bob Marley Live at the Lyceum.
16/05/2012 at 23:06

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound.  Came out in 1973 when Phil Collins had a beard and sat behind a drum kit, although he did do a very nice lead vocal on it as well.  Grew up listening to this and it still sounds incredible.

Also a big fan of WYWH and DSOTM, which got nearly as much playing time as early Genesis in my brothers' bedrooms. I wonder if David Cameron is familiar with the reggae cover album, Dub Side of the Moon?  Tis rather good. 

Irie. 

Edited: 16/05/2012 at 23:07
16/05/2012 at 23:19

Dear Mr Cameron

Please keep your musical tastes to yourself. It just encourages other 40 somethings to start going on about early Genesis.

Remember what trouble you got into over saying you liked The Jams "Eton Rifles"?

Yes just a lot of unpleasantness best avoided.

Thanks

PS

Dont ever say you like a bit of Grime or DnB. That would just get you a smack and probably start a riot.

PPS

No not a riot like the one in that Kaiser Chiefs song, a proper one!

16/05/2012 at 23:30

I've thought about this many times and never really come up with a satisfactory answer as it seems to depend on my mood. But the few that regularly feature include:

Garlands - Cocteau Twins
Red Skies Over Paradise - Fischer Z
Thokozile - Mahlathini & The Mahotella Queens
Programmed To Love - Bent
Debut - Bjork
Bamnan & Silvercork - Midlake
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
Gracelands - Paul Simon
Hypnotized - The Undertones
The Milk-Eyed Mender - Joanna Newsome.

If I had to pick one to go to a desert island right now - Mahlathini & The Mahotella Queens, but I'll tell you something else tomorrow.

16/05/2012 at 23:53

Tapestry by Carole King - every track is a classic.

17/05/2012 at 00:43
I think Cameron also chose The Smiths and Radiohead on Desert Island Discs. I'd guess the choice of "Dark Side Of The Moon" and the above bands were workshoped by advisers as something credible to associate Cameron with. Although Cameron is pretty much the antithesis of these artists views and ideals. And a **** amongst a septic cluster of ****s.

Anyways, I like a lot of Beware Of The Fish's list, in particularl Neutral Milk Hotel. My favourite albums are probably Fear Of Music by Talking Heads and Snivilisation by Orbital. Other albums have meant more to me over a short period of time, but for some reason although I've heard these 2 records so many times over so many years I come back to them again and again.
17/05/2012 at 09:03

I've never heard of BOTF's list. Am I an uncultured clod?

Might check them out a little later today when I have time.

17/05/2012 at 09:46
Tago Mago by Can.
17/05/2012 at 11:00
Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Dear Mr Cameron

Please keep your musical tastes to yourself. It just encourages other 40 somethings to start going on about early Genesis.

Oi!  I'm 39!

BOTF - Big fan of NMH even if Jeff Mangum's voice can be a bit whiny for my tastes.  The music's ace though.  And a big for Joanna Newsom.  Saw her at the Royal Festival Hall and she was incredible.

Edited: 17/05/2012 at 11:01
17/05/2012 at 12:46

Little Earthquakes - Tori Amos

17/05/2012 at 13:08

Modern Life is Rubbish - Blur

Def Maybe - Oasis

Very typical of a nearly 40 year ols britpop lad I suppose

Latest ones - You see colours - Delays, English riviera - Metronomy

17/05/2012 at 13:45

Saw this and started thinking. And still thinking. And will be for evermore. Like others I would be hard pressed in a you'll-have-to-get-the-knife-out-to-cut-off-my-arm-before-I-make-a-decision type way to come up with just one.

All Mod Cons - Jam

We're the League - Anti Nowhere League

Inflammable Material - Stiff Little Fingers

Back in Black - AC/DC

Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

Pretty much anything by Pink Floyd

Early Levellers

Colourbox - Colourbox

Gotta back to work, loads more though!

Anyone fancy a guess at my age

17/05/2012 at 13:46

And yes, those are the ones that get played regularly.

17/05/2012 at 14:32
This is how I imagine it went. Cameron decides to have a "Dave" moment where he has a light hearted interview to show people he's just like us.
"what's your favourite album Dave" Dave gets passed a piece of paper by one of his media consultants-Dark Side of The Moon. Good answer. No controversy there. The kind of everyman answer that shows that Dave is just an ordinary guy.
17/05/2012 at 14:43

Why do we not believe that he actually likes that album?  Because he's posh he must only listen to chamber music?  That view makes the owner of it the bigger snob IMO.  This is one of the biggest selling albums of all time and consequently must be owned by good and bad, cultured and philistine, appreciative and tone deaf alike.

For me, it's tough to pick one out.  But if pushed it would have to be either Prince Purple Rain or Stone Roses Stone Roses.

17/05/2012 at 15:05

Doesn't get much posher than private school boys in early Genesis ! I'd have thought the posh boy/Genesis correlation was very strong.

Clearly this is a thinly veiled excuse for us to wheel out our most obscure references !

1 to 20 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.