Favourite Whisk(e)y?

?

21 to 30 of 30 messages
19/09/2002 at 15:06
Seems to be a majority going for the smokey Island malts in which case I would urge you to try Caol Isla (as John Gavin recommended). This is a greatly underated malt due in part to the fact that Michael Jackson (the beer and whisky writer not the singer) does not rate it highly in his books.
19/09/2002 at 15:22
Whiskey - Yuk!
19/09/2002 at 15:23
Whisky is revolting (sorry) even the smell makes me heave, don't drink a lot of spirits now but still never say no to the odd large gordons.

WW - enjoy Cyprus I'm off to Paphos late October (half term) with missus + kids.
19/09/2002 at 15:28
Has to be Smith's Glenlivet if you like Speyside malts. Had some 120 proof Glenfarclas once but that was like caramelised firewater.
What I find worrying is that I also put myself off SC when I was around 17/18. It must be a transitional thing that men go through.
19/09/2002 at 15:31
I dont drink spirits often but when I do it has to be Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels or some other bourbon.

I too had a nasty experiance with Southern Comfort, well it was free, threw up out of taxi window on way home, didn't put me off though.......
WildWill    pirate
19/09/2002 at 15:34
Dustin

It's Paphos I'm off too - 23 OCT - I've never been but every one seems to recomend it
19/09/2002 at 16:07
It's got to be Laphroaig or if that's not available any other of the Islay malts apart for Caol Isla which isn't as peaty and has a much lighter aroma and appearance. Maybe it's because it's distilled on the north side of the Island.

I've spent many a night on Islay sampling the different malts in the Bowmore Inn.
19/09/2002 at 16:12
Can't stand the stuff myself - probably due to an early venture into the parents' drinks cabinet (sorry Mum). A bad experience with large quantities of Bacardi as a teenager put me off that too.

My ex-hubby used to work for a haulage company which shipped the stuff off Islay every week, and had some "interesting" nights on a substance known as Mulugeram (no idea if it has ever been spelt before, never mind whether that is right!), which is the clear, raw, unmatured stuff. Had been known to cause blindness, apparently.........

Give me a couple of glasses of Port anyday. Or Mead. Yum!
19/09/2002 at 16:14
Good pub for whiskie is the Drunken Duck near Hawkeshead in the Lake District they have a very good selection.....
19/09/2002 at 21:52
Isle of Jura.

Loch Lomond is good too.

There's too many - I like'em all. Must be the Scottish blood.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.