Films you may have never heard of but really should watch..

21 to 33 of 33 messages
17/07/2012 at 21:09
Ghostrider wrote (see)

The Hitcher (Rutger Hauer version)..

I watched this again the other night, and was just amazed by what a great film it is, even if Rutger Hauer was central to making it, what it is...

Guy picks up psycho hitchhiker, and then manages to get rid of him, only for him to keep on coming back. It works as both a horror, a western, an action, even a comedy, and is just so cleverly done.

If you liked that, you'd probably like some of this lot, that probably fit into a similar category...

Eden Lake
Wolf Creek
The Strangers
Vacancy
Vacancy 2

Wolf Creek and Eden Place and are disturbing in the way that you could actually imagine them happening for real.  Films that you think about for a while after.

Edited: 17/07/2012 at 21:10
18/07/2012 at 00:00
David Jones 39 wrote (see)

Others that maybe aren't that well known but I've seen in recent years and would recommend, especially if you prefer older films are:

I'm not really a film buff but there's a 1962 British courtroom drama which you'd probably like - you may already know it - The Boys which is really good - stumbled across it just flicking through the channels one night - really good.
The Prodigal Son - it's a Chinese martial arts film which will probably put 99% of people off watching it and if I say it's a comedy the other 1% probably wont bother either but it's really very good.
The last film I saw at the pictures that wasn't a kids film (with the kids I hasten to add!) was the remake of Brighton Rock - does that count as lesser known - anyway I thought it was good.

18/07/2012 at 00:23

The Triplets of Belleville.

18/07/2012 at 01:00
bos1 wrote (see)

The Triplets of Belleville.

I have the soundtrack to that.

Im starting to show off now aren't I ?

Sorry

"Tiger Bay" One of they best opening scenes of any Welsh film ever!

Cherry: What you doing?
Jimmy: Er, there's a film about to start.
Cherry: Is it important?
Jimmy: Tiger Bay, it's like Citizen Kane for Welsh people.

Edited: 18/07/2012 at 01:00
18/07/2012 at 09:14
Anyone seen Meet the Feebles?
18/07/2012 at 18:36
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Ghostrider wrote (see)

The Hitcher (Rutger Hauer version)..

I watched this again the other night, and was just amazed by what a great film it is, even if Rutger Hauer was central to making it, what it is...

Guy picks up psycho hitchhiker, and then manages to get rid of him, only for him to keep on coming back. It works as both a horror, a western, an action, even a comedy, and is just so cleverly done.

If you liked that, you'd probably like some of this lot, that probably fit into a similar category...

Eden Lake
Wolf Creek
The Strangers
Vacancy
Vacancy 2

Wolf Creek and Eden Place and are disturbing in the way that you could actually imagine them happening for real.  Films that you think about for a while after.

I have seen all of those except Vacancy 2. All good films. The Strangers.. now there was an interesting film... didnt do amazing business at the box office, but it was really good... thought i was the only one who saw that film

18/07/2012 at 18:37

Thanks Popsider. I did see "The Boys" a few years ago and you're right, it was very good indeed. I love that whole late '50's/early '60's British "gritty realism" genre !

I'd recommend all the films I mentioned, but the one I would single out is "The Offence". It starred Sean Connery as a  detective on the verge of a breakdown and his cat-and-mouse relationship with a suspected sex offender (played by the late Ian Bannen) he has hauled in for questioning.

As well as being a gripping thriller and very well acted and directed, it also authentically evokes the early '70's (for those of us old enough to remember!).

19/07/2012 at 10:26

+ 1 for 'The Beat my Heart Skipped'. Also 'Look at Me' (original title 'Comme une Image'). And anything Iranian, especially 'Blackboards'.

20/07/2012 at 15:25

127 hours
17 again
A beautiful mind
A guide to recognising your saints
A family man
American beauty
American history X
Another country
August Rush (for the music)
Back to the future
Battle Royale
Benny's video
Breaking and entering
Brothers (2009)
Brothers of the head
Buried
Capote
Chatroom
Closing the ring
C.R.A.Z.Y. (Canadian, in French)
Deep End
District 9
Dog day afternoon
Dorian Grey (2009)
Eden Lake
Erin Brockovich
Eternal sunshine of the Spotless mind
Falling down
Fargo
Fight club
Free Willy
Full metal jacket
Funny games (USA version)
15 minutes
Flashbacks of a fool
Fracture
Gallipoli
Glen Gary Glen Ross
Ghost
Good Will hunting
Groundhog day
Hannibal rising
He was a quiet man
Heartbeats (French canadian)
I am legend
In Bruges
Inglorious Basterds
Inside man
Iron man
It's a wonderful life
Kalifornia
Last chance Harvey
Last house on the left
Leaving Las Vegas
Let the right one in (Swedish version)
London to Brighton
Lonesome Jim
Lymelife
Mirrors
Muriel's wedding
Pay it forward
Red dragon
Reservoir dogs
Rocky
Saw
Scum
Sexy beast
Shooter
Sliding doors
Sneakers
Swimming with sharks
Talk radio
The box
The butterfly effect
The day after tomorrow
The disappearance of Alice Creed
The debt collector
The devil wears Prada
The dreamers
The godfather
The ice storm
The loved ones
The lovely bones
The proposition
The pianist
The road
The weather man
Things we lost in the fire
This boy's life
The talented Mr Ripley
Trainspotting
War games
Wolf Creek

Edited: 20/07/2012 at 15:29
20/07/2012 at 15:30

After Hours

It's about a guy who goes on a bad date and how his night turns into chaos.

Genre:dark comedy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Hours_%28film%29

Edited: 20/07/2012 at 15:32
20/07/2012 at 16:47

I agree David, "The Offence" was a brilliant film, one of my favourites.

"Odd Man Out" is a good one too - 1947 film with James Mason as an Irish terrorist on the run.

20/07/2012 at 17:03

Antichrist , with willem Defoe.......

20/07/2012 at 20:17

Lapland Odyssey 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.