Flab

21 to 40 of 103 messages
gingerfurball    pirate
25/02/2013 at 10:19

It's an interesting question...we have a client who was very overwweight...he was told by his doctor that he could get a gastric band on the NHS and then the subsequent tummy tuck if necessary.  That sort of lit a fire in him and he said that he would do it by himself.  Through sheer bloody hard work and determination he lost 13 stone (THIRTEEN STONE!!)  and as you can guess he has lots of loose skin.

He has been told in no uncertain terms that he will NOT be eligiable to the tummy tuck on the NHS!  Hes's fought for a couple of years now and there's no budging them!

25/02/2013 at 10:23

Gingerfurball ....... so he would rather fight the NHS for years in a fruitless battle, than save up and pay for it himself?

gingerfurball    pirate
25/02/2013 at 10:25

I think he's in a very low paying job DF3...I think some people see it as a unsurmountable amount of money to put aside...

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
25/02/2013 at 10:26
gingerfurball wrote (see)

I think he's in a very low paying job DF3...I think some people see it as a unsurmountable amount of money to put aside...

He had enough money to eat crap and get fat

25/02/2013 at 10:31

But over several years and also with friends and family surely he can raise the 7 or 8 grand to pay for it??? I accept its not easy for a lot of people, but for something that is supposedly making his life miserable, you would surely make it a priority and presumably with a much lower food bill, he could put that money towards it ..... in any case though he is still in a better position now than he was. 

gingerfurball    pirate
25/02/2013 at 10:37

Aye true...he'll probably live longer now anyway

25/02/2013 at 10:52

even less acceptable are people who have breast implants on the NHS.

but a question: those who say its self inflicted and so you should not get treatment, how do you feel about people with sports injuries, if you tear a muscle or break an ankle out running, i assume you dont go to a private doctor and just use the NHS like everyone else. its just as self inflicted. i know someone who broke his back on a motocross bike, should he not be treated? it was his choice to do a stunt. he regrets that for the rest of his life, he'll probably never walk again, he did it to himself, but surly he should get help from the nhs?

the problm with labeling it "self inflicted" is that who and what does that include. 

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 11:02
25/02/2013 at 11:51

Horse riders. Bloody dangerous horse riding, lots of folks break bits of themselves horse riding out in the middle of nowhere and need air ambulance, emergency treatment and lost of medical attention generally. All free.

25/02/2013 at 12:26
But if they fall of a horse, couldn't you sell the horse for Tesco's burgers to off set the cost of the air ambulance ?
WiB
25/02/2013 at 12:28

There is a difference between having an accident and allowing yourself to balloon in weight.

The sign on the door is Accident and Emergency. Not Accident, Emergency and fat bastards.

WiB
25/02/2013 at 12:31

Marc, youre looking at it from the wrong angle. If you break your leg, you need medical assistance regardless of how it happened as you cant just let it heal naturally (well you could, but it would be a mess). People don't NEED to lose the excess skin they have. They can quite happily live with it, its purely cosmetic. Thats the difference.

25/02/2013 at 12:37
WiB wrote (see)

The sign on the door is Accident and Emergency. Not Accident, Emergency and fat bastards.

My accident just took a long time and involved a lot of cake, what can I say?

25/02/2013 at 12:38

It's interesting that these people find the money for the binge eating and drinking to get themselves to this size but cannot find it for the cures

25/02/2013 at 12:41

Ok, so what about all the people who are 'flown in' to the UK for treatment (for example the guy with the SARS like virus who eventually died anyway) - is this right or wrong?  In my book, it's wrong.  If you haven't paid into the NHS with your taxes, then it's totally wrong.  And what about the other unsuspecting passengers on the plane - not really fair on them!! 

Accidents, be they 'self inflicted' or not, should be treated.

Excess skin, whilst not pleasant for the person in question is not life threatening, so I kind of agree with Mr Falconer on this occasion.  I also agree that breast implants shouldn't be done on the NHS, unless it is a reconstruction following cancer surgery.

25/02/2013 at 12:53
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

He had enough money to eat crap and get fat

It's actually very cheap to eat crap and get fat. Look at all the poor fat people. I spend a small fortune on fruit and vegetables every week and I'm sure I could get a vast quantity of cheap meat, irn bru and biscuits for the same amount of cash.

25/02/2013 at 12:56
Just had a superb bowl of leek & potato soup with a couple of slices of home made bread, cheaper than chips
25/02/2013 at 12:57
Rob Walker 12 wrote (see)
WiB wrote (see)

My accident just took a long time and involved a lot of cake, what can I say?

I'm going to quote this in an email to my sister the cardiologist, if that's ok. She'll love it!!

25/02/2013 at 12:58

You cannae beat leek and potato soup. I just had a bowl of bulghur wheat and veg. Less than a quid! 

25/02/2013 at 13:02

I have water, and a slice of bread ......... total cost 10 pence.

25/02/2013 at 13:06
10p for a slice of bread ? You've been done
21 to 40 of 103 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.