FLM 2003

Whats wrong with me??!

21 to 38 of 38 messages
22/10/2002 at 19:39
I think if I dont get in .. I shall come down & spectate, cheap Ryanair from Prestwick... then a nice hotel... and the whole weekend drinking ... oh and spectating of course ... come on Benz ... join us rejects in the pub ...
22/10/2002 at 19:41
OK.. who's from London and knows the route ?? where are the best pubs ??
oh and I'm forgeting this is Engerlund .. land of funny drinking hours .. ie .. not enough ...
22/10/2002 at 19:45
Dont think I could bear it
You never know, I might get in this time
So might we all
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
23/10/2002 at 07:29
My entry's in too, but there's a complication - hubby, brother, and sister-in-law all submitted too, we all entered for this year too and I was the only lucky one. But in a rash moment I promised sister-in-law if she got in I'd run it with her (she's the type that needs support). Got away with it this year 'cos she didn't get in. But if she makes it in 2003 and I don't - it's going to cost me a lot! I can get in anyway by booking a sports tour, done that twice, but it means paying for a scheduled flight and a hotel stay. That sticks in my craw when I can fly Ryanair for peanuts and stay with the family. Ho hum, the things we do for family!
23/10/2002 at 07:32
ps - If neither of us get in, then Paris or Rotterdam is on the cards instead.

Or the forumites could think about joining me, and hubby, and brother, in Berlin next September! We've already booked our hotel.
cougie    pirate
23/10/2002 at 13:08
Daisy - there are loadsa pubs en-route and open when the race is on. I think they have a competition to see which is the best.
I think the next issue of Marathon News (when we find out if we are in or not) gives some details.

BK - can't handle the Dark Side - way too confusing ! Glad to see the Monkey got his head back again though !
Ratbag    pirate
23/10/2002 at 13:11
If you don't get in, theres always the one at Stratford on Avon. I think it's the week after.

Come on cougie, try the dark side..
23/10/2002 at 13:37
Ratbag - Cougie's right!About the day shift anyway. You guys all know each other so well the rest of us can't keep up.
24/10/2002 at 13:17
Theres an alternative to FLM but probably fully booked for 2003, its the Tresco Marathon, same day as London. 7.5 laps of the island, max 150 runners, totally traffic free (well the island is escept for 1 tractor!)

From memory it was set up by someone who couldn't get in to London last year or the year before and its just continued. Its limited to 150 or so because thats how many people the hotel holds.
24/10/2002 at 13:25

Daisy - when I ran last year, my wife came out to support me. She was around the 13 mile mark, where the route goes to the Isle of Dogs on one side of the road, and away from the Isle on the other side, so it's quite useful for seeing people on the way out and the way back (about the 18 mile mark). She found a pub just by where she was, and it was a proper "East End" pub with proper locals (are you local???), and was quite happy there. Then she crossed the road to see me coming back (before I collapsed).

And she'll be doing the same thing again next year, since I'm being foolish enough to run again and have a Gold Bond place...

24/10/2002 at 13:36
I'm IN!!!!!!!!!
24/10/2002 at 20:56
Barkles, how wonderful!!!! But how do you know already? Did they cash your cheque?
24/10/2002 at 22:18
Not fair,you got in last year tooWho did you bribe?
25/10/2002 at 10:13
I'm in also (my 1st marathon), was given charity place.

Now just have to give up the fag's and booze.

Theresa
25/10/2002 at 18:26
only the fags trickle
Booze and marathons are possible
25/10/2002 at 18:33
Congrats Barkles, I'll see you there - but how do you know at this stage?
25/10/2002 at 18:54
He lied about being able to do a fast time. He's got a place as an elite athlete.
25/10/2002 at 19:57
Mr A..
no I'm not local... I'm way up near Glasgow, where the pubs shut when the locals leave ... or get slung out. I could enjoy watching nearly as much as participating, but, as I prefer the pain I would rather run.
Tired legs, I'll go with Benz on this one, give up the fags... loads of ex smokers on these forums will tell you same, but booze... naa that is OK, we need at least one vice, well I do !!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.