Food chain do you trust it?

If there is unexpected horse in our food why don't we test for other DNA

41 to 60 of 81 messages
09/02/2013 at 15:01

I think it's beginning to look very much like criminal activity.

However, if it is, it probably does became a food safety issue too. If you've got a group of people somewhere passing off horsemat as beef for profit, they probably aren't that interested in where the horse came from or what sort of state it was in before it got turned into mince. I understand that one issue might be the presence of equine veterinary drugs in the meat - that would actually make it unfit for human consumption.

09/02/2013 at 15:14
kittenkat wrote (see)

The dead badger I ran past yesterday has just VANISHED!

S'OK - it's move up my way, I cycled past it earlier

Julie Marriott 2 wrote (see)

So am I. I buy from a proper trained butcher, working in a shop his father founded 50 years ago... Any one who buy shrink wrapped meat on a plastic tray or a ready meal deserves what ever they get.

As a long term lurker and occasional poster (my membership precedes this one I had to rejoin as password failed) I have to say that I find the ex sparten a complete pr**k...where I live doesnt have a butcher and if it did it would be halal, all your posts are all about how yours is the only way and how superior you are to the rest of us saps .....and by the way I dont eat ready meals I earn enough to be able to buy proper food and cook from scratch (what a smug so and so i am in the spirit of your posts) dont care if I get a ban your post are  offensive and no I am not a keyboard warrior have never done this before..would hope this would pull you up and make you think but doubt it......anyway on topic the problem is that the horsemeat used has probabaly not been bred for eating and may be full of drugs from vetinary treatments

That was rather venomous, but she seems to be taking punctuation tips from Seren

However, not having a local butcher doesn't preclude buying good meat - you can order it online these days.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 15:15
UFO
09/02/2013 at 16:15

Smugly, I haven't eaten meat since 1980 after watching a TV programme about how animals were treated. Well it wasn't so much that, but seeing what went into food in the way of mechanically recovered meat,how so many animals were given anti-biotics (probably why they don't work anymore) etc. After so many food scares over the years, I'll stick to my irradiated, pesticide ridden turnips.

UFO
09/02/2013 at 16:36

Venomous in that she called him a complete pr**k?

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
09/02/2013 at 16:40
Pork ?
09/02/2013 at 16:45

Prank?

09/02/2013 at 16:45
Pakora ?
09/02/2013 at 16:50

Parka?

09/02/2013 at 16:56
Beer & peanuts whilst watching the rugby now
09/02/2013 at 18:18

Never any need for name calling and I apologise-bad combination of breavement and lots of beer

09/02/2013 at 18:43
Oh well that's OK then
09/02/2013 at 19:52

seren nos made a completely valid point as to why those living alone on a fixed income might opt for ready meals.  Julie also actually made some pertinent comments, albeit in a slightly intemperate way, for which she has had the grace to apologise (sorry to hear of your loss btw).  I am afraid that a lot of comments on this thread did come across as rather self congratulatory as in the tone of 'bus crash on M4- thank God I have a private helicopter' sort of thing.   Not everyone has complete autonomy over their food intake e.g as those having school meals or in hospital for example.  Even though you take care as to what you eat at home,unless you take your own food everywhere with you can never be sure as to what you are eating

Having said that I would happily eat horse or any other suitable herbivore as long as I knew that the meat was safe to eat - actually to be honest at my age I'd eat anything as long as it's tasty!.

09/02/2013 at 20:34

My mother is 89 years old and on a fixed income, and losing her sight.  She cooks all her own food, never buys ready meals.

With on-line shopping, schlepping  round the shops is no longer necessary.  You can buy what you want and have it delivered for a modest cost.

Yes, older people are less likely to have internet access, but many older people will have someone who could place the order for them.

Simply being elderly doesn't mean you're not capable of cooking for yourself.

My Mum would be most offended at the idea!

UFO
09/02/2013 at 20:46

Hear hear

UFO
09/02/2013 at 20:50

Of course being elderly does not  mean that you are not capable of looking after yourself -  I was not suggesting that.  On-line shopping fine - if you are at home and can hear the bell and not every elderly person has a network savvy friend.

However,  my main problem is you are arguing from the specific to the general which rather reinforces the kind of smuggery I was complaining about in my previous post. Good luck to your Mother and so glad she is in such good health and independent.

09/02/2013 at 21:21

But let's face it - most people who eat ready meals do so because they can't be bothered to cook, don't like cooking, or don't know how to cook.

Given the number of tv cookery programmes, on-line recipes, supermarket recipe leaflets, recipes in magazines and newpapers, it's not that hard to learn how to cook if you want to.

09/02/2013 at 21:58

Not quite the point seren nos or myself was making, but never mind...

10/02/2013 at 07:30

In light of recent events, maybe we should stop protecting certain species that no longer need it and open up the food scene, what about Urban Fox or Magpie for starters, both nuisances that need culling, would be free, unfortunately not supermarket ready yet! but readily available

10/02/2013 at 09:33

Plenty of seagulls round here as well!

That's great Wilkie that your mum is still so capable.  However a lot of older folk rely on meals on wheels and aren't they ready type meals?

10/02/2013 at 12:51
Grey squirrel quiche anyone ?
41 to 60 of 81 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.