Food chain do you trust it?

If there is unexpected horse in our food why don't we test for other DNA

1 to 20 of 69 messages
08/02/2013 at 16:00
Who cares ? Anyone who buys Finus ready meals gets everything they deserve !

Just been in our butcher and he displays the records of every animal he buys
08/02/2013 at 16:03
So ?
08/02/2013 at 16:05
But I don't care. I buy from a reputable butcher....,,
08/02/2013 at 16:07

I think most of us have suspected that you would never know everything added to a ready meal but I guess we all thought the basic ingredient might be as advertised, Beef in the case of Findus.  The million and one additives and preservatives might alos not be what the supermarkets think they are!

08/02/2013 at 16:09
Bored
seren nos yn canu    pirate
08/02/2013 at 16:12
If horse slips through the.checks....then the cheap bse cattle probably still gets fed into the chain....and the odd cjd sheeps brains.....or all those people who disappear from internet forums each week
08/02/2013 at 16:13
My guess if you check you'll find human DNA in the Findus floor sweepings and possibly a greater amount of contamination from the fancy Butchers
seren nos yn canu    pirate
08/02/2013 at 16:13
Dave.....have you checked your butchers paperwork and followed it back......a piece if paper can be made up....
08/02/2013 at 16:15

the food chain is no way out of control - it's one of the most tightly regulated of our industries - but like all regulated industries, sometimes there is the odd slip up.  nobody's lives have been put at risk with the recent use of horse meat - there have been more dangerous issues with things like E.coli O154 getting into the food chain which can kill - and some of that has come from independant butchers...  

and it doesn't matter how much regulation you try to put into place - sometimes things go wrong

and because traceability is one of the key cornerstones of food regulations, then the source is usually easily identified so can be rectified quickly

I'd be more concerned about going into hospital and coming out with a HAI, or being neglected for days on a ward whilst the chief nursing officer is filling in paperwork and attending meetings, than I woud be about food making me ill

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 16:19
08/02/2013 at 16:18
Well his paper work claims he buys from 2 farms in Wales... Suppose that would be suspect
08/02/2013 at 16:24

I think you pretty much get what you pay for in terms of quality. Reputable butchers and supermarkets work directly with farmers and not dodgy third party French suppliers.

But I agree that this is more a fraud issue than a food safety issue.

08/02/2013 at 16:25

I would guess, from recent revelations, that there is a LOT more horse meat in our supermarkets, and has been for a long time.

I'm not losing any sleep over it because I don't eat ready meals and horse is a perfectly acceptable meat anyway.

08/02/2013 at 16:32

+ 1 for butchers

you would be sickened to see what really goes into most stuff. the additives/preservatives are awful plus colourings and the like.

atleast SOME beef would of been nice in them .

08/02/2013 at 16:33

I very much doubt all of our food chain is in a mess.  The OP should stop reading the Daily Mail and start reading a newspaper instead.

Horse - noms.

cougie    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:40
Traceability is the issue - and that's what at issue here.

If they didn't realise it was horse that they were buying - that's pretty massive. Where are the papers verifying the origin ? It seems so widespread that its more than an unlikely accident ?

Also cattle can't be slaughtered until any drugs they might have had for illness are out of their system. Is this being adhered to ? It seems unlikely if you order cattle and get horse ?

Horse is fine if you want horse - but to order one meat and get another is unforgiveable.
08/02/2013 at 17:43

As others have said - it's fraud or misrepresentation at worst. We don't buy ready meals - I've a rather nice looking piece of fillet steak awaiting my attentions tonight. It certainly looks like beef....

08/02/2013 at 18:11

if it looks like beef........smells like beef.......

just heard on the radio (i know...... how much is true ??) that they are suspecting criminal activity in the horse meat fiasco. someones suspected of delibrately putting it there!

08/02/2013 at 18:16
Can't they just stick a label on saying May Contain Horse, like they do with nuts. Then anyone who is bothered can just avoid the risky stuff.
08/02/2013 at 18:59

It was the old guy on the TV news that said

" We always buy Findus ready lasagne, because Findus stands for quality and it tastes the best"

Tastes so good, You didn't notice it wasn't beef ?

08/02/2013 at 19:13

The thing is, if they can't control whether it's horse or beef, how much confidence can we have that they are really properly checking for spinal material to prevent CJD?

Do you really believe they are?

1 to 20 of 69 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.