16/08/2012 at 13:01
It's ok nearly the rugby season
16/08/2012 at 13:13
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Now go away Finn is bowling like a dream

Cricket!

Bunch of overpaid Wendies. Dull and boring.... etc etc

16/08/2012 at 13:20

Maybe.. But I have never been afraid to take the kids to a cricket match, Unlike football where you are surrounded by foul mouthed drunken yobs

16/08/2012 at 15:24

Such a stereotyped image of the game Dave.

Im also yet to hear of a footballer going to jail for blatent match fixing.

Foul mouthed drunken yobs is it? like the famous barmy army that follow England across the world with the sole intention of getting bladdered?? Im sure every word out of their mouth is polite and well mannered.

Please keep digging though, im enjoying making a show of you.

16/08/2012 at 16:41
I went to 3 premier league games last season and the language was appalling and as for match fixing haven't half a dozen Italians footballers just been sent to jail ?

Go on keep going ......
16/08/2012 at 18:18

Dave, I'm with you ... I mean I hate all this crap about the players just doing it for the money, and not wanting to play for their country at the expense of their own earning potential .. and as for for their ethics and language towards team mates ... jeez, then don't get me started ... i think its disgraceful some of the things they come out with on the field of play and would shock the most foul mouthed of navvies sometimes, and its not just on the field of play either ... text , twitter ... the lot is just full of it !

Absolutely disgraceful if you ask me !

Now if your talking cricket then well thats just a whole different story isn't it .. we're doing well I see, can't wait to see Petersen bat tomorrow ..... oh wait !!!!!!!!!!!

16/08/2012 at 18:29
Couldn't see Kate Walsh making it as a footballer. Imagine wanting to and playing with a broken jaw. Premier league footballer I need 3 weeks off cos I stubbed my toe on my wallet
16/08/2012 at 21:25
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
I went to 3 premier league games last season and the language was appalling and as for match fixing haven't half a dozen Italians footballers just been sent to jail ?

Go on keep going ......

LMAO.

You despise the game yet went to 3 PL matches last season? You couldn't make this up.

As for the Italian match fixing and players going to jail. Ermmm there's a simple answer to that one. No!

Next..........

Like shooting fish in a barrel this.

16/08/2012 at 21:31
Or English players fixing football matches ? There was even a film about that.

Yep sadly corporate hospitality required me to go to football matches.

Yeah I did go to more rugby matches on the company.

Shooting that must have been at a football match wouldn't happen elsewhere
17/08/2012 at 00:06

I cant help but think that in England we feel football is not really a fit job for a grown man so we have created a style that is overly physical, overly reliant on "pace" ( always makes me laugh that) that has little finesse and strategy but is big on dramatic ball play ( boot, boot Ohhhhhh hit the cross bar!) and short on individual skill. Basically made a beautiful game blunt and brutish so that we feel men in shorts can play it.

Its football, your not laying bricks or mining coal your allowed to fanny around with short passes and strategic game play.

Edited: 17/08/2012 at 00:07
17/08/2012 at 12:48

There's a pretty good rant in The Guardian:

"a game owned by crooks and despots and played by racists and rapists"

17/08/2012 at 14:01

Interesting article - in the last couple of days the football apologists have started laying into the Olympics, but both viewpoints are a bit extreme tbh

In my athletics club, there are many footie fans of many clubs, who actually go to matches - I'm a Bournemouth fan and cannot wait to go to Pompey tomorrow, but as far as that goes, I can't say I really love footie that much. We all know that not ALL footballers are as described in the article, but playing in football teams growing up and then joining an athletics club, I just find the general 'scene ' so much better. I have had many good friends I have played footie with, but there's always a cocky, fag smoking idiot around the corner.

I just think that the nations footballers could do with having a quite season scandal wise, TV could publicise their charity work a bit more..and most of all the managers demand that they respect the ref alot more than they do at the moment. That would help raise their standing with the public a bit.

17/08/2012 at 16:30

Team sports seem to have a lot of badly behaved individuals. It has been said that team sports foster a level of immaturity, that athletes simply cannot afford to have. In a team the individual is secondary and that can result, if you have been playing since you were a child, with  adult men with millions in the bank but the minds of teenagers. Its not accidental that athletes can seem alot more focused and muture than rugby players footballers etc. You dont get to be Laura Trott if you constantly need yer mam to remind you that staying out late isnt good for training, or get to be the first woman boxing gold medalist at 29 if your too busy with "boys".

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
17/08/2012 at 16:35

"TV could publicise their charity work a bit more"

WHAT, thats something else that makes my blood boil!  Lots of people give to charity but dont feel the need to publicise it to justify their existance.  Its a hell of a lot easier to give to charity when you work 20 hours a week, earn countess millions a year (and in many cases avoid the tax on most of it).

17/08/2012 at 20:53

Give me the Olympics anyday. The fans are as bad as the players.

18/08/2012 at 11:34
Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Interesting article - in the last couple of days the football apologists have started laying into the Olympics, but both viewpoints are a bit extreme tbh

The most dopey backing of football over the Olympics I saw was from Robbie Savage, who said Olympians only need to peak once every 4 years, whereas footballers have to peak every game.

As if the athletes aren't competing at any time in between! He obviously doesn't realise the World Cup is the equivalent of the Olympics...

18/08/2012 at 11:36
Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Team sports seem to have a lot of badly behaved individuals. It has been said that team sports foster a level of immaturity, that athletes simply cannot afford to have. In a team the individual is secondary and that can result, if you have been playing since you were a child, with  adult men with millions in the bank but the minds of teenagers. Its not accidental that athletes can seem alot more focused and muture than rugby players footballers etc. You dont get to be Laura Trott if you constantly need yer mam to remind you that staying out late isnt good for training, or get to be the first woman boxing gold medalist at 29 if your too busy with "boys".

Generally agree, but the profile of Premier league footballers is off the scale, whereas most of our Olympians could walk down the street tomorrow and you wouldn't recognise them. Therefore, naturally the footballers tales of squalidarity will get feasted on by the press, whereas if there are similar stories from athletes, chances are no one will find out.

18/08/2012 at 21:37
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Stephen E Forde wrote (see)

Generally agree, but the profile of Premier league footballers is off the scale, whereas most of our Olympians could walk down the street tomorrow and you wouldn't recognise them. Therefore, naturally the footballers tales of squalidarity will get feasted on by the press, whereas if there are similar stories from athletes, chances are no one will find out.

Yes totally agree. I am sure many watched Mo Farah having little idea who he was.

Most footballers have lived , played, retired and died with little impact on the gossip columns. Most still do but a hard core seem to want to and are encouraged to have an impact beyound their sport.

Its quiet funny when the press try to do it beyound football and show how little they know of sport beyound the big three of football, rugby and cricket. There was a picture printed of Unsain Bolt in the back of a car with a "mystery"blonde woman in the front and it was pitched with the usual nudge nudge wink wink angle. If anyone had done their home work they would know the woman was one Marion Steininger
Director of PACE Sports management. They also represent Mo Farah.

Yes I am that geeky I recognise athletes management.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.