Fori or Fora

19 messages
12/09/2002 at 10:45
Very interesting Tim. You have definately been spending too much time on the fora!

12/09/2002 at 11:01
Tim, you are now in Great Britain, and the English plural of forum is definitely forums. Anything else is just being pretentious.
12/09/2002 at 11:19
Now now, velciraptor, don't get all worked up about it. There's nothing at all wrong about wanting to be linguistically correct!
12/09/2002 at 12:02
A radical idea I know, but I just staggered over to the dictionary which lists both forums and fora as plurals of forum.

V-rap's point is correct though - if we start determining English plurals in the same way as their language of orign we'd have to use German plural forms for the much greater number of words that come from that language.
12/09/2002 at 12:09
Just want to say, excellent thread! Makes me feel that my work is indeed relevant to the rest of the world. Hurrah philology!
Ratbag    pirate
12/09/2002 at 12:16
OK. Fora it is then....

Now, back to work Tim.....
12/09/2002 at 15:46
Point made - fifteen love.
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
12/09/2002 at 16:33
Ok just a little teaser for the afternoon without looking in the dictionary, which is the correct past tense of "to focus", focussed or focused? and what is the plurial of the focus?
12/09/2002 at 16:39
Don't know about the past tense, but the plural is foci (focii?), unless of course it is the Ford family hatchback, when I think it would be Focuses.
12/09/2002 at 19:06
Hildegard must be pi**ing herself.
12/09/2002 at 21:55
"Forum", whose plural is indeed "fora", interestingly enough has an archaic form "forus" of which the correct plural is "fori". The formation is by analogy with "locus" which has a bi-form "locum" and therefore two plurals, "loci" and "loca", depending on subtle gradations of sense, the one referring to single places, the other to places connected with each other. Since internet forums are by definition places connected with each other, there is an even clearer case for the use of the plural "fora".

Boy, those Romans, huh?
12/09/2002 at 21:56
I was assisted in the preparation of the above posting by the eminent Dr. Ron Grover.
12/09/2002 at 21:58
Do you do childrens partys ? ;)
12/09/2002 at 22:17
Mercury -

you'll have to talk to Ron about that one, cos I know he gets pretty booked up during the party season - the kiddies juse go wild when he does his hilarious HRM jokes. (see another thread!)
13/09/2002 at 09:21
I suspect forum was what was used by the roman equivalent of the BBC newscasters.

Forus, and probably several other versions were used by real people. Modern day analogy (at risk of broken bones and howls of anguish) color/colour grey/gray.....etc

this was all my own work and not involving asistance Achilles, (but yr comment did make me smile), this Latin stuff is mostly greek to me, as I suppose it is to you achilles.
13/09/2002 at 15:18
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan
that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".

Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k".

This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f".

This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza.

Zen ze drem of a united urop vil hav finali kum tru.
13/09/2002 at 16:23
Nessie - doesn't that just end up as Dutch?
13/09/2002 at 20:41
Latin - archaic? why it's that new-fangled language that's taking over from Etruscan, for heaven's sake! we Homeric heroes just can't keep up with the pace of change.
13/09/2002 at 22:39
Nessie that was BRILLIANT ! I've cracked up completely here - especially as Achilles has also given me the idea for an ultimate sanction against minSS if she ever plays up ...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.