Gay marriage

121 to 128 of 128 messages
25/05/2013 at 20:45

But we all judge all the time.  For example, my friend who turned down a quote from a bathroom fitter because she felt uncomfortable in his company.  There was no proof that she was unsafe with him, but she allowed her judgement to inform her decisions.

Or those on here who judge people on the speed they can run a marathon.

Or my judgement today that the young whippersnapper in the hardware store wouldn't be able to answer my questions because he was young (I was right in that he couldn't answer my question but it may have had nothing to do with his age)

There is no law that states that vicars MUST marry everybody eligible.  There are laws that say that you cannot discriminate based on age, gender, sexuality, race but there aren't any that state that you can't discriminate on other factors (brown hair, personality, number of previous marriages for example)

25/05/2013 at 21:12

But there IS an instruction from Jesus himself to restrain or eliminate our natural tendency to judge people harshly.

25/05/2013 at 21:18

That is true, if you believe in Jesus.  But I understood that he died for our sins or something like that, because we are human and therefore prone to temptation?  I'm not religious so I'm just parroting what I have picked up and I have probably got that all wrong.

25/05/2013 at 21:46

I'm not religious either. But the whole dying for our sins bit doesn't quite add up either.

If you forigve someone, should you stop punishing them? Bear with me.

Mankind as a whole was punished for the whole tree of knowledge business back in Eden. Banishment from Eden and pain in childbirth were two of the punishments. If we've been forgiven, we should be allowed back into paradise, and childbirth should be completely painless, and should have been for a couple of thousand years now.

How many times do we have to nail God to a tree to be forgiven for this stuff?

25/05/2013 at 21:53

I understand what you are saying, but if you want to pick holes in the Bible then we could be here all night.  Most of my arguments have been based in what I feel is morally right rather than religiously right.

25/05/2013 at 23:28

I just like an argument.

26/05/2013 at 00:44

Religion = bollocks.

26/05/2013 at 08:16

Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

I'm not religious either. But the whole dying for our sins bit doesn't quite add up either.

If you forigve someone, should you stop punishing them? Bear with me.

Mankind as a whole was punished for the whole tree of knowledge business back in Eden. Banishment from Eden and pain in childbirth were two of the punishments. If we've been forgiven, we should be allowed back into paradise, and childbirth should be completely painless, and should have been for a couple of thousand years now.

How many times do we have to nail God to a tree to be forgiven for this stuff?

Screamapillar wrote (see)

I'm an atheist but I wouldn't describe the Church as a "strange cult."

Ahem....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
121 to 128 of 128 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.