Gaza Marathon cancelled

1 to 20 of 39 messages
05/03/2013 at 13:46

due to Hamas ban on women taking part.

poor show

05/03/2013 at 14:05

I notice their objection is to men and women mixing in the same place (rather than women running marathons in general).

Why not ban the men, then? 

05/03/2013 at 14:49

Because they are fundamentally misogynistic.   

05/03/2013 at 15:02
popsider wrote (see)

Because they are fundamentally misogynistic.   

05/03/2013 at 15:23

Appalling.

05/03/2013 at 15:27

having seen him on the news the other week i honestly don't think he was up to it.

05/03/2013 at 16:07

Does that mean Run for Life will be cancelled as well?

05/03/2013 at 16:07

Cancel that.

It's only discrimination when women are excluded. Not when men are.

05/03/2013 at 16:17

Whilst noting that this is appalling, and women should certainly be allowed to run whatever distance they want, and in the company of men - we shouldn't forget that as recently as 1980 there were no women's events at the Olympics of further than 1500m, and the first women's Olympic marathon did not take place until four years later in Los Angeles (when there was also a 3000m event, but no 5000 or 10,000m - the latter made its bow at Seoul in 1988). Not excusing Hamas one bit - it's a ridiculous decision - but it's clear that women have had to struggle for recognition in longer distances even in more liberal societies in relatively recent times.

05/03/2013 at 16:26

There's no "Men's Hour" on Radio Four either.

(Women get a splendid six hours a week of "Women's Hour".)

It's only discrimination when women are excluded from something. Not when men are.

05/03/2013 at 16:49
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

There's no "Men's Hour" on Radio Four either.

(Women get a splendid six hours a week of "Women's Hour".)

It's only discrimination when women are excluded from something. Not when men are.

jesus. i wondered who would make this comparison.

because r4life and Hamas banning women from running are totally the same thing.

anyway, where were we.

05/03/2013 at 16:50

actually i didn't wonder. I knew it'd be you Colin

we used to get many dozens of letters to the BBC every. single. day about the Women's Hour thing. from maniacs

05/03/2013 at 17:00
Peter Collins wrote (see)

Whilst noting that this is appalling, and women should certainly be allowed to run whatever distance they want, and in the company of men - we shouldn't forget that as recently as 1980 there were no women's events at the Olympics of further than 1500m, and the first women's Olympic marathon did not take place until four years later in Los Angeles (when there was also a 3000m event, but no 5000 or 10,000m - the latter made its bow at Seoul in 1988). Not excusing Hamas one bit - it's a ridiculous decision - but it's clear that women have had to struggle for recognition in longer distances even in more liberal societies in relatively recent times.

very true.

I can't decide if the race organisers have made the right decision to cancel or not.

Against - Hamas want the race cancelled.

For - it has thrown a spotlight on the issue.

on balance....it's the right call.

05/03/2013 at 17:18

There's no "men only" studio at my gym, nor any "men only" sessions at my local pool, though there are "women only" options at both.  Women should just be more grateful!

05/03/2013 at 17:20

move here then. there are men only sessions at my pool.

05/03/2013 at 17:41
the dude abides wrote (see)

actually i didn't wonder. I knew it'd be you Colin

we used to get many dozens of letters to the BBC every. single. day about the Women's Hour thing. from maniacs

I took a complaint very high up in the BBC about it. I could have taken it to the trustees, as the final appeal stage, but I decided not to, because broadcasters had become entitled to discriminate, so there weren't any legal grounds to found the complaint on (as opposed to merely bleating about discrimination).

The Women's Hour thing is a major irritation to me.

Women are fast to complain about discrimination, but when the boot's on the other foot they're content to discriminate (Race for Life being an excellent "running world" example of this).

05/03/2013 at 19:21

Are men banned from listening to Woman's Hour then? 

Or am I not really a man if I listen to it?

05/03/2013 at 20:05

So this was on in previous years, but they've now decided to change the rules?  Inconsistent and worrying that things have changed for the worse in terms of their culture being more forward-thinking.*  They're missing out on an opportunity for international runners to better understand and sympathise with challenges the Palestinian people face.

*This seems to have happened with a fair few Arabic states that were more permissive historically.

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 20:06
05/03/2013 at 20:42

by that ridiculous concept Songs of Praise is discriminatory!

05/03/2013 at 21:55
Red Squirrel. wrote (see)

So this was on in previous years, but they've now decided to change the rules?  Inconsistent and worrying that things have changed for the worse in terms of their culture being more forward-thinking.*  They're missing out on an opportunity for international runners to better understand and sympathise with challenges the Palestinian people face.

*This seems to have happened with a fair few Arabic states that were more permissive historically.

no it was the organisers who cancelled the race* in protest that Hamas had decreed women couldn't take part. maybe Hamas hadn't noticed in previous years.

*i think

1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.