giving up

I need your support

21 to 40 of 66 messages
Lee the Pea    pirate
16/06/2010 at 15:21

Best of luck Tommy, we're all behind you!  I've never been a smoker, so i've not had to quit, but i've given up chocolate (not the same I knoe, but a real challenge for me) and it is a struggle, but it is worth it.  The benefits you'll get from being smoke free will far outweigh the losses, as i've been told, and seen myself in friends that have given up.

Good luck!

16/06/2010 at 17:14

Hi Tommy,

Work out how much you save over a month and treat yourself to something great.

I use to drink a shed load. Hubby never complains about anything I buy for running. I've recently lost my garmin 305. Hubby didn't moan, just told me to order another!

Will watch your progress with interest. Best of luck.
16/06/2010 at 17:52

Good luck!

I stopped smoking after 13 years, cold turkey (good practice at the stubbornness required for IM!). Developed an alarming but temporary addiction to macadamia nuts (as the hand to mouth action had become so second nature...) and found that the thing that helped me with cravings was pretending to smoke! As in raising my hand to my lips and taking a deep breath, holding it and exhaling it slowly. After 13 years that action had been what I'd done every time I was stressed, or needed to think, or needed a break at work, so I carried on doing it, but just without a cigarette in my hand. Oddly enough, I found that the odd deep breath calmed me nearly as much as a ciggie. 

Added up the amount of money I was saving (ignoring the fact that macadamia nuts are nearly as expensive as fags) and treated myself to random antiques on ebay).

Had my last cigarrette over six years ago. Don't miss the annual bout of bronchitis, that's for sure!

16/06/2010 at 17:56
Good luck Tommy, I'm a complete Alky but i did  manage to pack in smoking overnight 20 years ago, if you give up the booze I'll have a go too!
Tommygun2    pirate
16/06/2010 at 19:05
ok First small step, I didn't go to the pub on the way home as I quite often do  Walked home passed it without even a second though. I have also arranged a bike ride tomorrow evening with a mate although he will want to stop for a pint somewhere along the ride So my plan is to only go to the pub on Fridays and maybe the odd saturday as long as I have earnt it
Viking    pirate
16/06/2010 at 20:13

Well done Tommygun!

Good luck with the fags the benefits are fantastic both in health and finance!

I agree with others re the drinking - moderation rather than totally cutting it out as it might just keep you sane

Keep at it TG - you CAN do it!

Tommygun2    pirate
17/06/2010 at 23:56

This is not just about the smoking thing it also about losing 2 stone so I feel good about myself.

I keep putting off weighing myself but might over the weekend just so I have a point of reference.

anyhoo

Cut down on the ciggs today by chewing gum (sugar free)

Then had a small (portion wise) lunch of hosin beef and rice.

Then this evening did a 25 mile very hilly bike ride. Followed by a small baked potatoe

At least I'm not trying to give up diet coke ........that must be really hard

18/06/2010 at 01:20
Big breaths, mate
18/06/2010 at 07:31

Good on you Tommy

DTB, Ultra Cake Pim.p wrote (see)

found that the thing that helped me with cravings was pretending to smoke! As in raising my hand to my lips and taking a deep breath, holding it and exhaling it slowly. After 13 years that action had been what I'd done every time I was stressed, or needed to think, or needed a break at work, so I carried on doing it, but just without a cigarette in my hand. Oddly enough, I found that the odd deep breath calmed me nearly as much as a ciggie.

Yep, that worked for me too.  I used to borrow someone's packet of fags, take one out, tap it on the table, wave it around while I was talking...... it really helped make the craving go away.  

Good luck mate

18/06/2010 at 07:44

good luck Tommy

two stop smoking books I would recommend Allen Car's Easyway and Neil Casey's Nicotine Trick

I would not try both at once-it may prove too much. Focus on rhe fags first.

good luck

18/06/2010 at 08:03

save your money Tommy- here is free download of Carr's book

http://joga.365.lt/Allen-Carr_Easy-Way-To-Stop-Smoking_Download-free-PDF-EBook

18/06/2010 at 09:11
Good start Tommy.  Keep going.
Tommygun2    pirate
18/06/2010 at 09:25

Ok I am thinking that maybe I should do some sort of other exercise other than the normal Swim bike run stuff.

Should I do some sort of weights, I have heard mention of bells.

or can some one recommend a non expensive non gym ( I don't do gyms) excercise routine to help with the reduction/strengthening of the Beer gut.(I suppose it called core) I could do sit-up and pressups but I need some structure or I will do it for a couple of days then get bored.

Thanks in advanced

18/06/2010 at 09:35

Oh Kettlebells are fab.  I love them, cardio and weights.

Mr Shimms loves them too.

You dont need much room for them either.

Have a look on ebay, they do fairly cheap ones on there.

Tommygun2    pirate
18/06/2010 at 09:37
Thats the thing Kettlebells, so what do they do and how do you use them ?
18/06/2010 at 09:43

tell you what, if I send over that poster I want you to do *flutters eyelashes*, you can drop it off and I can take you down to our gym and you can have a go with ours to see if you like them before you buy?

Tommygun2    pirate
18/06/2010 at 09:46
Shims Ok sounds like a deal I'll pm you my work e-mail addy
18/06/2010 at 09:52

Better get designing then.

*gets out crayons*

18/06/2010 at 10:00

Tommy - I go to British Military Fitness classes in my local parks.  There might be some near you.  You can't help but be motivated there 'coz you don't have a choice!  I love it and it's great for core training + v sociable.  Plenty of lifting (of each other usually) and loads of press-ups.

www.britmilfit.com

Tommygun2    pirate
18/06/2010 at 12:07
Parky - Can't do that it involves handing over money also the nearest one to me is not very convenient timing wise.
21 to 40 of 66 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.