Good grief!

Do you agree with this? Yes/no?

1 to 20 of 200 messages
kittenkat    pirate
03/02/2011 at 08:56
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
03/02/2011 at 08:57
What is there to agree with (or disagree with) If you can't get fat people in a standard ambulance, What are you supposed to do ?
kittenkat    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:00
Spend the money on trying to help them lose weight and have less health problems instead maybe?
03/02/2011 at 09:01

Do this!!

Wotsits

Crash Hamster    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:03
It's not comparing apples with apples though; if a person, who happens to be extremely fat, is knocked down by a car (maybe they didn't hear it because they were wearing an iPod) it's no good telling them to lose 15 stone before taking them off to A+E; that's nothing to do with their weight.
PloddingOn    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:06

HA HA JW! 

Unfortunately, KK - it's more about what each person wants.  I am helping a larger friend train.  I am running happily and doing my thing - she goes to the gym a couple times a week and then tells me how often she is fitting in a mars bar or two bottles of wine.

She weighs 264lbs - so realistically speaking, she is large.  

She can't say no to a mars bar, hamburger, chinese food and indian food.  No matter how much time and money you spend.

It's not about education anymore - it's down to sheer will power.

"Put the effing pie DOWN"

Edited: 03/02/2011 at 09:16
kittenkat    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:10
Crash Hamster wrote (see)
It's not comparing apples with apples though; if a person, who happens to be extremely fat, is knocked down by a car (maybe they didn't hear it because they were wearing an iPod) it's no good telling them to lose 15 stone before taking them off to A+E; that's nothing to do with their weight.

Yeah I agree with the principal, but isn't it coming to something when the level of obesity in this country is such that a lot of taxpayers money is being spent on customising equipment solely to deal with seriously unhealthy individuals weight.

But that's the politically correct thing to do, whereas a smoker wouldn't have any concessions, or not with any blessings, and yet you could argue that both the obese and the smoker had equally self inflicted health problems.

There is a social hierarchy of what is acceptable addiction don't you think?

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:15

I was in the sauna at  our gym last night chatting with a club mate, When a massive (he admitted 27 stone) guy came in.  He needs heart surgery, But the NHS wont do it til he has lost weight

He has free membership at the gym on the NHS, He had paddled up and down for 20 minutes, and after all that hard work He sat in the sauna and drank 2 protein shakes,

and by the time I was showered and changed he was in the bar with a pint of stella and a bag of crisps waiting for a taxi to take him home

Next time I might just drown him

03/02/2011 at 09:16
But that's the politically correct thing to do, whereas a smoker wouldn't have any concessions, or not with any blessings, and yet you could argue that both the obese and the smoker had equally self inflicted health problems.

So you're saying we haven't spent anything on lung and heart disease research, equipment and care in this country?

Edited: 03/02/2011 at 09:17
kittenkat    pirate

PO I'm reading a book at the moment which points to a recent study that does show genetic differences regarding food. Brain activity can be different in individuals in terms of anticipation of food and satisfaction with food. It also challenges the assumption that we all have the same quotient of willpower, and some choose to engage it and some don't.

But yes, it does come down to the individual and their dealings with the problems.

(Mmmmmm... Wotsits! In uni my friend used to hide them in salad to get me to eat the salad. It would have worked fine if salad was bright orange)

kittenkat    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:18
Ian M wrote (see)
But that's the politically correct thing to do, whereas a smoker wouldn't have any concessions, or not with any blessings, and yet you could argue that both the obese and the smoker had equally self inflicted health problems. So you're saying we haven't spent anything on lung and heart disease research, equipment and care in this country?
No, I'm not saying that, I'm asking if different addictions and health problems are viewed differently in society.........
Crash Hamster    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:22

Basic principle of healthcare is that you treat the nun and the prostitute with the same degree of skill and care.

Whether the treatment offered makes any sense is a different question; I know it's easy to create bias on television, but on the Britain's Fattest Man programme, he was having carers funded for him by the taxpayer, doorways widened etc; he was then put in for bariatric surgery, plonked in a hospital bed and fed 500kCal a day; he lost weight. Surely, it would've been cheaper and more effective to allow his carers in a home environment to feed him only 500kCal a day, thus he would've lost weight at home? It's not denying him the opportunity to feed himself, just making him get to the fridge in person...

PloddingOn    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:22

KK I think blaming genetics is far too easy.  Since my whole medical issue, I have put on 10kgs.  Am now in a battle to lose it.  I have never been small - but my family is all sporty looking, all thin, eat well etc.  The only reason for someone to be big is because of how they eat and how much they eat versus how much exercise they do.

Yes, genetics can dictate how our bodies store fat - but even then, it's not about storing 1000's of pounds of fat!  

It's far easier to blame genetics and big bones and muscle than it is to stop fucking eating that shit and eat healthy and go run.

It's not easy losing weight.  I'm sure anyone can attest to that.  It's far easier putting that weight on.  So, to compensate, we pat some tubby on the head and assure them that it will be acceptable if they blame their parents (who are also obese - probably from eating badly and not exercising).

Instead of telling people that the only thing that they can blame their parents for is over feeding them.  That's all. 

Stop eating. 

Easy.

03/02/2011 at 09:23
Smoking costs the NHS £5 billion in the year 2005-2006. Makes the money spent on a fewer ambulance reinforcements for fatties pale into insignificance.
I think the NHS is or attempts to be pretty judgement neutral on these things. Whether the rest of society does, I haven't a clue, but doubt it.
kittenkat    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:24
Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Basic principle of healthcare is that you treat the nun and the prostitute with the same degree of skill and care.

Whether the treatment offered makes any sense is a different question; I know it's easy to create bias on television, but on the Britain's Fattest Man programme, he was having carers funded for him by the taxpayer, doorways widened etc; he was then put in for bariatric surgery, plonked in a hospital bed and fed 500kCal a day; he lost weight. Surely, it would've been cheaper and more effective to allow his carers in a home environment to feed him only 500kCal a day, thus he would've lost weight at home? It's not denying him the opportunity to feed himself, just making him get to the fridge in person...

And yet domestic violence services are being cut back to a degree that is going to leave a lot of children and adults in direct danger.

(That's probably not the most considered response I could give, but I'm thinking about why some people in some conditions seem to have a priority over others.. and I'm late for work so rushing)

Crash Hamster    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:26
Smoking generates a net profit for the Treasury; people pay a lot of tax, then (statistically) die younger, saving the country a fortune on pensions, treating them for dementia in extreme old age, etc.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:27

It's hard enough getting an ambulance to come at the best of times right now as it is.

At lthe risk of sounding a bit daft, will this affect response times if you call 999 and the only ambulances available are the ones for fatties, so they save them for special occasions and will they whip you up off the floor in a blanket to weigh you like a turkey after you've been run over?

I've been in an ambulance several times in my life, usually with food allergies. Not once have they made it in the specified time for a red call. They often come from out of area because everyone in Warrington is pissed when I get poisoned and they're wasting their resources on drunks and idiots who have fallen over on a Saturday night.

I don't think a ride in an ambulance should be free on the NHS anyway, but that's another argument altogether.

PloddingOn    pirate
03/02/2011 at 09:28

And again, I am now talking from experience of having to exercise and watch what I eat and count calories and for YEARS I have believed the shit that scientist speak about big bones and genetics and thyroid glands and hormones and additional pigs in your stomach that need feeding.

I have finally (at the age of 29) decided to grow the eff up and control my life.

And I have lost (in a month) half of the weight that I have put on in the past 2 years.  I have a third of the way to my healthy weight - which I weighed when I was like...8years old (over exaggeration).

So I'm not talking about "other" people here - I am speaking from experience 

<<just in case someone wants to jump down my throat for being honest about my personal feelings on this matter and how annoyed I am with myself for believing the RUBBISH people speak to give you some insane reason to believe that you can't help your weight when you can>>

03/02/2011 at 09:31
Smoking generates a net profit for the Treasury; people pay a lot of tax
Indeed it does. Doesn't help the NHS though
Maybe we should dump council tax, and have a scale tax.
Once a year you have to come in for a weighing and your tax is set accordingly
1 to 20 of 200 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.