Greenwich Park

21 to 28 of 28 messages
12/03/2003 at 15:20

None of you is to be found there early in the morning though, are you?!

FANY, what kind of speedwork do you do there? I mainly use GP for hill work, or just go through on way to other far places (long runs).
cns
12/03/2003 at 16:41
having now run around Crystal Palace park I can honestly say that I really do miss GP! CP is boring. And considering it's built on a hill, finding a suitable path to do hill reps on was almost impossible.

I also miss sitting outside the COach And Horses with a pint of Old Speckled Hen...
12/03/2003 at 16:51

Is that before or after your sessions, cns ?!?!

Also, you could always run to GP from CP for your medium long runs!
cns
12/03/2003 at 16:55
oh teh sitting in the covered market was in my days before I became a r*nner
12/03/2003 at 17:45
FLM - Greenwich 10k was in the Runner's World race diary and did get over 300 entrants (a few down on 2002) but given the suberb venue, I would have thought they could have filled it by e.g. putting up posters in the park, handing out flyers at other events etc (Hope this doesn't sound critical.)

cns - not sure you'd recognise the Coach & Horses, mate - it's been given the 'paint everything white and bung in a few sofas' treatment
12/03/2003 at 20:51

Thanks SB. I guess the reason I didn't know about it was because I am not looking for 10k races at this stage (preparing for marathon). Having said that, I would definitely like to run it at some point in the future (although as I mentioned before, I'd be dreading going up that hill TWICE in race conditions!).

Cheers.
13/03/2003 at 07:18
I've really enjoyed reading this thread.

I'm a beginning runner and Greenwich Park is where you'll find me early most mornings running (slowly). I've actually found people to be very friendly - and there is a core group of runners/walkers/dog owners I see almost every day. Most have been really encouraging of my progress and knowing they are watching helps keep me motivated.

The Greenwich 10k was my first race - and I'm happy to hear that REAL runners share my view on THAT hill appearing twice in the route!! (btw - the route is still posted in some of the notice boards in the park - it's a small photocopied map with blue highlighter marking the route)
13/03/2003 at 10:24

Thanks for the tip about the map, SG. If you are there most mornings I am sure I'd seen you then! Next time I am in there, I'll go round shouting 'Susan' !!

If you keep training there, I am sure you'll be an elite (never mind a real one; you're already that) athlete in no time!

Keep going.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.