Grown out of it yet?

41 to 57 of 57 messages
15/10/2002 at 11:44
V-rap - what an incredibly long list!

Mike - I'm intrigued by this "incredibly dark taste in music" are we talking Leonard Cohen here or something utterly more sinister?
WildWill    pirate
15/10/2002 at 12:00
GROWN OUT OF:
28” waist trousers
38” waist trousers
Being a couch potato (although this is something I grew into during my 20s)
Fry ups
Constantly drinking from Thursday to Monday
Being a Stress head
Working stupid long hours
Thinking runners were all daft

GROWN INTO:
34” waist trousers
Endurance sport
Running
Rum and peppermint
Good food well cooked
New world wines

NEVER GROWN OUT OF:
Thinking breaking wind was funny
Picking my nose
Cartoons
Bagpuss
15/10/2002 at 12:13
Martin,
No, about Leonard Cohen level. Something I've always had - I find listening to something like "Berlin" (the Lou Reed album not the crappy 80's perpetrators of The Final Countdown) a cathartic experience.
15/10/2002 at 13:05
Hey whats wrong with Laughing Lenny??? To return to the thread though
Never grown out of
Vimto
Dandelion & Burdock
Colemans English mustard

Grown out of
All proportions
Cocteau Twins
15/10/2002 at 13:18

A Pedant writes:

It was Europe wot did "The Final Countdown". Berlin did the equally marvellous "Take My Breath Away".

15/10/2002 at 13:23
A Pedant might just be right - oops.
I'm having a bad day
15/10/2002 at 13:56
At my age I'm just grateful for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" ...
15/10/2002 at 15:06
Grown out of ...
Beakers with lids that leak all over your packed lunch and leave soggy purple sandwiches
Wearing white socks with black leather shoes
A fear of anyone seeing me naked
A fear of soap and water
Wearing the hood up on my tracksuit indoors and not speaking to my dad

Not grown out of cont....
Love of LFC
Apathy to music and a love of literary fiction
Boiled sweets
Inability to talk to atractive women without going red and getting tongue tied

Plus must congratulate Mike S on the catalogue call...I still look forward to a new avon catalogue arriving every other week
15/10/2002 at 16:10
Lots of you are happy to admit to never having grown out of nose-picking, or even picking-and-flicking - but is anyone going to 'fess up to still eating what he (women don't pick their noses) excavates out of his nostrils?
15/10/2002 at 16:22

Ah, now here's a good link:

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/FriendsReunited.asp?wci=afterschool#memories

If you look in the middle-ish of the page, there's something called "Lifeslide": put in your DOB, and it'll tell you what you were listening to / watching / etc at different stages in your life.

From this, I can certainly tell you that I've grown out of Glenn Medeiros (not that I was ever into him in the first place, but it's amazing how you wipe these things from your minf....).

15/10/2002 at 16:25

Oops, should have said "mind" not "minf".

But I haven't grown out of "Betty Blue" which is still one of the greatest films ever made (Director's Cut version).

15/10/2002 at 17:02
Never grew into : eating bogies, velociraptor (honest - I'm retching just thinking about it!! I can't think of anything more foul.)

Also grew into - my features ("I was a teenage Patrick Stewart" - now showing at a cinema near you!!!), cooking, films with subtitles, conversation.

Never grew out of : laughing at Mackems
15/10/2002 at 17:18
Excellent, Jeff. Makems are such a source of amusement. The new geezer is certainly going to provide some chortles.
The only sad thing is learning the new songs of derision, takes up drinking time.
15/10/2002 at 17:45
Never grown out of waiting....Waiting for NHS to give me a scan on my injured knee...Waiting to meet Snicks...Waiting for counselling after Bay City Rollers split up...Waiting for the day i can meet up with other URWFRC members and run again....Waiting for another amusing forum thread to keep my chin up....Waitng....
15/10/2002 at 17:47

Ah, Bay City Rollers, Hanley Town Hall - happy days.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/10/2002 at 20:55
Grown out of: drinking spirits, staying up till all hours, eye shadow, Pogo sticks, fivestones, red meat, cigarettes, long hair.

Grown into: endurance sports, the Web, dark dry red wine, wolves, olives, paella, talking on Forums.

Never grew out of: loud rock music, dogs, running, sci-fi, beer, chocolate anything,
Lord of the Rings.
Psi
16/10/2002 at 00:40
Oh, I also never grew out of a love for comics.

However, the average reading age for comics (as they have on average become more 'adult' since the eighties) has increased almost exactly with my own age (now 23)!

So I suppose that's less to do with me and more with the publishers..

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 57 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.