Grown out of it yet?

1 to 20 of 57 messages
14/10/2002 at 12:30
Do you remember your youth? Do you remember being told off by mum and dad? Did mum ever say "you'll grow out of it".

What are the things that you were supposed to have grown out of but never did?

For me there are two things:
1. Loud music (I now get my children telling me to turn it down).
2. HP sauce with everything - my opinion is that EVERY meal can be improved with the addition of HP sauce.
14/10/2002 at 12:35
Last weekend I saw a young, probably late teens, girl walking up the street in a skimpy vest top and a skirt that barely covered her embarrassment. The thought "she'll catch her death in that" popped into my mind unheeded, and even in my Mum's voice!

I still can't resist blowing bubbles in any liquid drunk through a straw. Milk was best - you could fill the glass with half an inch in the bottom of the glass.
14/10/2002 at 12:43
Being silly - no I haven't
Asthma - sort of maybe.
Spam sarnies - no, still love them.
14/10/2002 at 13:01
Grown out of it: Chocolate Spread sandwiches, Radio One

Not grown out of it: Thunderbirds, Marmite

....sure I'll think of some more later....
14/10/2002 at 13:16
PB - I'm with you on the burping thing, in fact any expellation of bodily gasses. Do you ever try and say things during burping?

Perhaps one of the girls / ladies can explain to me why its not funny? Have you never seen the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles?

14/10/2002 at 13:18
Aha! still as young, immature and fruitful as ever!
14/10/2002 at 14:01
Roland Rat. I thought he was a flippin' top legend as a kid, and went to sleep with my Roland Rat soft toy.

Grew out of it though, probably about the same time as the BBC1 controller thought he'd had his day.

Stragely enough I used to wear tracksuits nearly all the time as a lad, when playing football etc. I have no idea why I thought this was in the slightest bit trendy.

I'm with you on Radio 1 LF. Haven't listened to that since Sara Cox got the breakfast show. Anyway, i'm 26 so am officially older than their target audience.
14/10/2002 at 15:58

Things I haven't grown out of: ginger beer, lemon curd sandwiches, rock'n'roll, Hi De Hi

Things I said I'd never grow into, but have: Radio Two, "proper" salad dressing instead of Heinz Salad Cream (though I still have a bottle of this "just in case"), Newsnight

WildWill    pirate
14/10/2002 at 16:02
I think bodily functions are 'man humor' and breaking wind is the oldest joke
14/10/2002 at 16:08
Grown out of thinking that parents were always wrong, that they weren't on my side, that I was a foundling and my "real" parents would come back and rescue me, that it wasn't fair...

Never grown out of biting my fingernails when forced to sit still, reading in bed, not liking eggs, not liking Mum's good home-made spiced currant cake, writing fiction (except nowadays I sell it as fact).
14/10/2002 at 16:14
Grown out of - feeling uncomfortable around females, drinking tea.
Never grown out of - running, spending money faster than I can earn it.
14/10/2002 at 16:20
Not yet grown out of Radio 1 - can't get it into my head that I might like R2 - though I also like R5. Suppose that I have finally given up on the hope that I was any good at footy or cricket (some much unfulfilled potential....)

Never grown out of loving lie-ins & hating DIY.
14/10/2002 at 16:31
Grown out of: going in a huff if I don't get my own way, unless it means I can't get for a run, Blue Peter female presenters, putting Salad Cream on everything and thinking it was sophisticated, Radio 1 is getting there.
Not grown out of: Cartoons, sci-fi programs, toilet humour, sarcasm (or so I have been told).
14/10/2002 at 16:33
Grown out of: Baby clothes

Not grown out of: Making bad jokes
14/10/2002 at 16:39
Grown out of: dieting, drinking pints of cider, patchouli oil.
Never grown out of: taking the p*** out of my dad with my brother, finding men's obession with burping a strange and loathsome thing, rebelling against control freaks and rulebound pedantics.
Grown into: liking kids, drinking red wine, marathons.
14/10/2002 at 16:40
BUUUUUUUUUUUURRRPP!
14/10/2002 at 16:43
Grown back into the 'childish' desire to explore the great outdoors and sleep under the stars. Love being outdoors anyway but did it 'properly' with routes to follow and tents to sleep in. Life begins at 40? Now I want to break the old tidy habits and live a little. Ambition: set off on an extended wander on foot through Britain and explore all the wild places.....but why end there? Something else I haven't grown out of is daydreaming!

Grown out of believing in roses round the door!
OB
14/10/2002 at 16:45
grown out of - radio 1, but it took until I was 52, rather sadly!

never grown out of - a fondness for women's sticky out bits!
14/10/2002 at 16:47

Patchouli oil! I used to LOVE patchouli oil! Now THERE'S something I've grown out of!

Gavo: you HAVE to listen to R2 on Saturdays, purely for Jonathan Ross, who is fantastic.
14/10/2002 at 16:54
Grown out of: Permed hair, bangles, Genesis and musician boyfriends

Grown into: Radio 2 Jonathon Ross (how did that happen?)Making my children wear vests til July (very my mother,)Kylie Minogue, Brittany Spears and Boy Bands
1 to 20 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.