Happy Meat

And I'm not talking about a good night in bed.

61 to 80 of 84 messages
14/11/2012 at 15:28

rice, pasta, peas, mushrooms, cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, white fish.

And yes, that is better than I eat some days !!

14/11/2012 at 15:29

You can already grow meat in a lab, if they can scale that up to mass-produce it then problem solved:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16972761

14/11/2012 at 15:40

Tom - Wonderful notion but the problem with this is that even if you could scale it up, it does not necessarily solve the problem.

There is a reason why people pay top dollar to eat Wagu beef or salt marsh lamb.   Now if meat could be made in labs that was as good as the best we get from the animal kingdom for the same cost or less then it really could be chocs aways (or maybe chops away).  Otherwise, people will still prefer the suprior product, regardless of it's background.

14/11/2012 at 16:27
The meat for supper tonight is going to make me very happy !
14/11/2012 at 16:49
Strangely Brown wrote (see)
Peter Collins wrote (see)

I thought one of the problems with our meat-eating world is that so much good land is given up to growing feed for animals. I'm not sure how this squares with having to tear up fields, hedges and trees to plant more crops. We have more than enough being used for agriculture already.

Animals still die when you replace it's natural habitat with a ploughed field to grow veg.  Right?

My point is that we wouldn't have to tear up any more natural habitats... we've largely done that anyway with intensive livestock farming. I don't think it's true that we'd have to tear up any fields or natural habitats to grow more veg; simple transformation of what we already use for livestock. 

14/11/2012 at 23:05

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/18481/gallery/vege.jpg?width=350

15/11/2012 at 04:49

Only one way to keep vegetarians, meat eaters and animals happy.

Cannibalism.

15/11/2012 at 07:40
I wonder if a vegetarian would have a different flavour to a meat eater ?
15/11/2012 at 08:31

I wouldn't want a city-dwelling veggie. Free range every time.

15/11/2012 at 10:07

http://static.zoovy.com/img/gkworld/W300-H301-Bffffff/S/sb4051.jpg

Morning!

15/11/2012 at 12:13

So either you never eat veg, or you're food too, Phil?

15/11/2012 at 12:21
Weeble. wrote (see)
PhilPub wrote (see)

I'm a recently lapsed mid-week vegetarian. 

I've not fully resolved my moral stance on eating meat; if I'm being honest, the fact that I'm not 100% vegan is a sign that I'm a little bit selfish, because I don't think we need to breed and kill animals to live, but I like the taste of meat, have been brought up on it, it makes healthy, varied diet options easier, and it's a hard habit to break - although I eat far less than I used to. 

I do think eating happy meat is morally preferable to eating intensely reared meat, and I even decide on diet choices between different protein sources, e.g. assuming that sardines swimming in the oceans have suffered less harm at the hands of humans than a very cheap cut of pig.

There's also the environmental aspect; eating x amount of plant matter is less wasteful than eating y amount of beef which required several times x amount of plant matter to be reared.

Pretty much what Phil said.

I'm a recently lapsed vegetarian. I've recently started eating small amounts of "happy meat", morally I don't claim to have entirely squared this with myself but other things (selfishness, taste) are currently trumping that.

I'm finding it hard to go public with this though. I think it's difficult to say I'll eat some meat but only if it meets x, y, and z standard. I don't want to be in the situation where someone serves me intensively reared chicken and I look like an arsehole for turning it down, so it's easier to still describe myself as veggie.

I'm exactly the same Weebie. I was completely veggie for 11 years, started eating fish in 2009, and after having recently got to the point of lactose intollerance that I cannot have more than a spoonful of dairy product in a day, which I reserve entirely for milk chocolate, I have resigned to eating some meat.

A friend of mine had a very good philosophy on eating animals. He thought that not only should the meat itself be "happy" and good quality, but one should cook and eat it in a way that it can be enjoyed. So having a proper dinner, cooked nicely and eaten at the table, but not a cheap burger or microwaved lasagne.

15/11/2012 at 12:25

I'm sure the animal is very happy in animal heaven that you've cooked it nicely.

15/11/2012 at 12:56

So either you never eat veg, or you're food too, Phil?

Nah, it just made me giggle.

15/11/2012 at 13:05

I blame intelligence and smart a£$%$. By design we are omnivores. Incisors, canines, etc. We were hunter gatherers and then we farmed and now we delegate the farming. Our species has always eaten other species. Check out the dental plan of any passing herbivore and you'll notice they're not equipped to eat meat. I've seen the process from cradle to corpse for most species we eat and am quite comfortable remaining an omnivore. Most abbattoirs (Including all I have visited) ensure that the animals are as stress free as they can be up to the point of slaughter as killing a stressed animal results in tough meat. They are places of calm and the peole working there generally are highly caring in the job they do. I have no moral problem with eating meat and I do prefer free range, organic etc etc yet have no problem eating whatever friends lay down in front of me, even the fruitarians.

15/11/2012 at 13:12

The ingestion of dairy is an interesting concept too -  humans aren't actually designed to drink cow's milk or, in fact, any other milk other than breast milk. If you think about it, it really is a pretty unnatural thing to do. 

15/11/2012 at 13:22

What's "natural" though? We've become as intelligent as we are through the natural process of evolution.  You could argue that we've reached a level of civilisation whereby we've outgrown our need to kill and eat other animals, because we've become intelligent enough to really understand our nutritional needs and how to grow alternative sources of food.  (I think this is the stance of Pete Singer, famous ethicist and animal-rights defender/veggie philosopher...)

Here's another can of worms then - halal meat. Straycelt mentions abbatoirs, and I know that by and large abbatoirs pre-stun animals before they are killed, but there is an exception in place for ritually slaughtered animals according to religious practices.  What's more, there is no compulsory food labelling scheme which requires halal meat to be identified.  That's just wrong on both counts.

15/11/2012 at 16:50

But physiologically, as humans, we actually haven't evolved much at all beyond hunter gathers, we have just become more mentally sophisticated.

Therefore what's most "natural" for us to eat is meat, vegetables and fruit - regardless of the fact that we have learned to husband livestock, milk cows and make something as nutritionally useless as, say, Pringles.

I don't agree with the processes used in the production of Halal meat on either animal welfare or religous grounds and agree that Halal meat should be labelled as such. As someone once said "I want the option to choose not to eat meat that's been prayed over."

15/11/2012 at 21:16

Screamapillar - humans aren't "designed" at all. We have evolved, however and recently (10,000  years or so ago) a mutation popped up and allowed adults to digest milk (previously only possible for juveniles). This coincided with early pastoralism, so proved a great advantage for the individuals (you can get more milk meals than meat meals from a ewe or cow). I high proportion of the population now has the mutated gene.

I agree with you regarding Halal/Kosher - originally a sensible food hygeine measure, it has no valid place in modern society

16/11/2012 at 11:48

I'm sure the animal is very happy in animal heaven that you've cooked it nicely.

Thanks for that... I'm not especially happy about it either: as I said, I was vegetarian for many, many years, but I was sacrificing my health by not eating it once I had to cut dairy from my diet for medical reasons, and at least I am being thankful when I am eating it.

61 to 80 of 84 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.