Has anyone ever been in jail

why is is not a deterrent

1 to 20 of 21 messages
15/04/2013 at 14:24

i have been in prison but not as an inmate. I worked in two: once as a labourer, building an extra wing on a prison and the second time as a drama worker. doing drama workshops with the prisoners. I know at least two of those who took part have gone on to be full-time actors. some others keep in touch.

I also work as a Children's Panel member and have also been in several secure units. They are comfortable but bleak. The real thing I took away from these places was my admiration for many of the employees. They were stars.

15/04/2013 at 14:24

My oh spent some time inside (months).  Visiting was fecking awful, really, really creepy.... The solidity of the doors is just ick... When they close it's a very final thud....

He's not been back.... make what you will of that.

15/04/2013 at 16:58

I'm awaiting the first person to mention colour televisions and hotels...

Rafiki    pirate
15/04/2013 at 17:34

yep..... but never in this country

15/04/2013 at 18:58

I, personally, am a supporter of offering prisoners a humane experience in prison. I have seen the benefit of investing in creative and vocational programmes to help those without education or opportunity and there is a degree of evidence that it reduces re-offending.

howeverrrrrr, I am aware that there isn't a bottomless pit of money, and it is difficult to justify that position when a prisoner's meal costs double that which we offer to our children in schools, and law-abiding citizens are shelling out to pay for courses etc that prisoners get for free.

And, it is even MORE difficult to justify that position to someone whose granny has been mugged, or car stolen, or worse.

Prison rarely does anybody any good, but I do concede that the general public must be able to feel that society is willing to punish those who have acted criminally against them.

15/04/2013 at 19:03
There's a show on at the moment called the prisoners which I think could be very interesting. A lot of the long term prisoners just don't know how to cope with the outside world so go out to reoffend to get back in prison. It may not always be pretty but if its all they know - its how they work.
15/04/2013 at 19:06

like in shawshank

i'll check it out. thanks emmy.

15/04/2013 at 19:15
No-one with any sense would risk going to jail as it fucks up your career, your family and your life.
I don't think a lot of people in jail are necessarily bad people. I'm sure a lot of them are either suffering from mental illness of some sort or are just plain dim, rather than plain bad. Having said that, I would think there's still a big bunch in there who are evil bleeders who need locking up.
15/04/2013 at 19:16
More than 70% of the prison population has two or more mental health disorders. (Social Exclusion Unit, 2004, quoting Psychiatric Morbidity Among Prisoners In England And Wales, 1998)

Male prisoners are 14 times more likely to have two or more disorders than men in general, and female prisoners are 35 times more likely than women in general. (Social Exclusion Unit, 2004, quoting Psychiatric Morbidity Among Prisoners In England And Wales, 1998)

The suicide rate in prisons is almost 15 times higher than in the general population: in 2002 the rate was 143 per 100,000 compared to 9 per 100,000 in the general population. (The National Service Framework For Mental Health: Five Years On, Department of Health, 2004; Samaritans Information Resource Pack, 2004)
15/04/2013 at 20:07

Not one who has been in the nick in this country, for the statisticians that clearly proves that running keeps you out of jail.

Agree with Johnny I think most jail issues stem for some sort of mental illness, and I agree that doesn't mean bad, but in my opinion people have a greater right to protection than they have to be treated lightly, 

15/04/2013 at 23:13
I've not been in prison.

We got burgled last year. We got the insurance replacements and then got done again, but this time he left some blood on a windowsill and he got caught.

The guy who robbed us was out on license after his previous sentence for burglary, so he went straight back, and the crime rate in our area dropped immediately. When he went to trial he fessed up to about 200 other burglaries.

He is, of course, a heroin addict. Each time he's been inside he's cleaned up and then gone back to his same shitty life and same shitty friends who are all either smackheads or dealers or fences or fellow theives.

Judging by the way he tried to grass up everyone he's ever met when he got nicked, I expect every time he thinks he's going to really try and make a clean break and a fresh start and get off the smack and stop robbing and not go back to prison again. But when it comes down to it, he doesn't stand a chance.

In a way I'd rather he was helped to get clean, move away, get a job, new friends, whatever. But I have no idea how you'd manage that. I wouldn't give him a job.

Apart from that, a lot of criminals are fairly sure they'll never get caught.

I am however a totally disorganised div who gets caught out lying about who ate the last biscuit, so have few illusions about my ability to escape prison should I take to a life of crime.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
16/04/2013 at 12:08

I am in the 'give them bread and water and whip the soles of their feet' camp.

Daily.

16/04/2013 at 12:22

funnily enougth im split in opinion with LIVERBIRD and others on this one.

yes they should be made to feel like prison is not a nice place to deter them from going back but its also sometimes such a spur of the moment thing that puts them there in the first place.

the ones that go out looking to murder someone should be in there and locked up and key thrown away.

others need to be re-abilitated but its clearly not working for them. so who is to blame for that one? you cant always blame the prisoners.

the ones that come out and live a better educated life are the real prison system.

16/04/2013 at 12:39

It's very difficult, this subject. The Guardian ran a long series of very good articles about prison life by a guy under the pseudonym Erwin James. He was in prison for murder, I think committed during a robbery. He got released after serving 20 years of a life sentence. Some would say that is wrong. Since then he's no doubt served a useful life and is a prime example of someone rehabilitated by the system. Should he have been released? I'm in two minds on it - I'm sure a lot of people will say he shouldn't have been. Clearly, a murderer deserves punishment. Clearly, he has had a degree of punishment (20 years is a long long time) an is no longer a danger to anyone and has expressed remorse many times. It's not an easy thing to make one's mind up over, and all I can say is that I see both sides of it all.

http://erwinjames.co.uk/

16/04/2013 at 12:59

You must have seen 'Prisoners' last night on BBC1. If not, see it on iPlayer. Illustrates this perfectly.

16/04/2013 at 13:00

BTW, my mother shopped me to the police and had me locked up.

17/04/2013 at 07:52

I have to admit I actually did get sent to jail once.

(but then threw a double six so it wasn't too bad!)

17/04/2013 at 08:13
Bruce C wrote (see)

Outstanding!!!! But did it stop you re-offending?

17/04/2013 at 09:57

24% re-offend apparently

17/04/2013 at 11:10
SideBurn wrote (see)
Bruce C wrote (see)

Outstanding!!!! But did it stop you re-offending?

'fraid not ... I was back in again in just a short time after getting out.  Wouldn't even allow me to collect my £200 I was owed ! 

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.