Has Runners World Forum died?

Tumbleweed blows through....

61 to 80 of 116 messages
05/06/2012 at 14:12
As for being bigoted, you should read my post at 13:13 then read the first line that I wrote in my beautiful synopsis of the forthcoming civil war.
05/06/2012 at 14:14
Well, I say beautiful, I think it is anyway.

How's my post count coming on. I've got nothing planned today. How many do I need to win and what do I win?
05/06/2012 at 14:18
I'm not sure she can. To me a chav is someone who spends money on shiny things to look richer than they are, but completely misses the point and ends up being tacky and looking tasteless.

The Queen spends huge amounts of money and still manages to look like she's been down Marks'.
05/06/2012 at 14:31
I've largely stopped posting on here. There's one or two posters who get on my nads and a few too many trolls and forum queens. Now I largely post on chicken-rearing forums.
05/06/2012 at 14:37
On this thread. There have been references to middle class women and chavs, references which I have interpreted as negative. This raises the question of the socio-economic profile of RW forum users, runners in general and within types of event, are there comparisons to be drawn. Looking around me on the start line of various events I suggest that the cross section is skewed in various ways. Also there are changes over time... having taken a break from running, the proportion of women taking part in small town 10Ks seems to have gone through the roof. This is excellent news for the health of the nation and for medical charities (not wishing to stereotype). How much of this can be traced back to Race for Life? Are there female posters out there who were inspired in this way?
05/06/2012 at 14:41

My first race was a Race for Life, but it wasn't the reason I took up running.  Instead I started running and then looked for a goal to aim for and the advert for the Race for Life happened to be stuck on the noticeboard at the gym.

My second race was a local 10k that was also advertised on the same noticeboard.

05/06/2012 at 14:44
Goals do help motivate training. Your 10K, were you sponsored?
05/06/2012 at 14:45

I don't like segregation and for that reason, I don't like the exclusion of men from races for life.

05/06/2012 at 14:51
Sorry Red Squirrel, can't go along with that. I understand the principle of what you are saying, but sometimes you have to make exceptions... Race for Life is such an important event/charity, it motivates so many women to get involved... sometimes there is a case for positive discrimination. You know what, if you want to get involved you can (as I did) run any event for Cancer research UK, they provide a very fetching pink runnning vest.
05/06/2012 at 14:52

Yep, I started running cos I trained to take part in a RFL that I'd been talked into by a work colleague who already ran.  I discovered I really enjoyed it and I'm still running 3 years later.

05/06/2012 at 14:56

I'm not a fan of pink King Kong.  I've run for Macmillan.

05/06/2012 at 14:57
That's wonderful. And has all this running improved your health and well-being?
05/06/2012 at 14:58

No I wasn't sponsored for the 10k, but then I wasn't sponsored for the Race for Life either.  I've only ever asked for sponsorship for one race and that was my first 10 miler as I thought it was a significant achievement for anyone.  I also didn't get sponsopship when I did FLM

05/06/2012 at 14:58
Also an excellent organisation Red Squirrel... respect.
05/06/2012 at 14:59
KK always the bridesmaid never the bride, or is that too cruel a piss take! x KK
05/06/2012 at 15:01
As a bloke, I would find that really frustrating... major respect to you KK.

Not that I've ever been near that level of performance. KK
05/06/2012 at 15:26
Sorry DT, had not realised you'd missed the irony of:

"This thread bores me, oh look there's another one."
05/06/2012 at 15:28
KK I think we approach life with a different mentality!
05/06/2012 at 15:31
Supercaz... to be sponsored or not to be sponsored that is the question?

Does it feel nobler of spirit. How do we make that choice. I didn't think it was possible to run London without sponsors!
05/06/2012 at 15:44

Lol King Kong.

I do raise money for charity but not for running events.  I prefer to get sponsored for swimming events.

61 to 80 of 116 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.