Have we come back?

Reincarnation

41 to 45 of 45 messages
05/12/2012 at 09:00

I've tried to condense a book's worth of a subject into a few paragraphs; apologies if I've not explained it very well.

05/12/2012 at 09:08

As I understand the Hindu and Buddhist things, you don't necessarily get reincarnated as the same species. You could even previously have been the spirit of an inanimate object, in some versions. So the exponentially growing number of humans could be the reincarnations of pebbles on beaches. And you could be a germ next time.

05/12/2012 at 10:20
MikeFrog wrote (see)

As I understand the Hindu and Buddhist things, you don't necessarily get reincarnated as the same species. You could even previously have been the spirit of an inanimate object, in some versions. So the exponentially growing number of humans could be the reincarnations of pebbles on beaches. And you could be a germ next time.

I'm not sure about pebbles or germs with regards Buddhism; they use the term 'sentient creatures', and I think most Buddhists would not class pebbles or germs as sentient creatures.

But yes, traditional rebirth teachings will say you can get born as another animal; the consciousness at death somehow transmigrates to another body; and that could be a cat or summat.

As I say, my default is that once we die, we die; finito; but if you look to see what neuroscience says about the production of consciousness, there's a lot of stange stuff that even modern - non religious - scientists say about the matter.

I'm pretty sure - no, I kinda know from my own investigations - that once I die, this egoic personality called 'Easy Does It' will cease to exist; my personality is really just made up of a bunch of ever changing stuff - there is no 'core essence' to it.  Just a bunch of feelings, perceptions, thoughts, memories; all of which keep changing - none of which is actually 'me'.  Even memories can't be trusted (look to what science says about those).

So, when I die, my personality dies - but I don't know about consciousness.  Maybe that dies too?  Maybe it doesn't?

06/12/2012 at 22:14

I come from Szczecin. Beautiful place.

07/12/2012 at 12:47

believe this: if reincarnation was a reality, the government would've found a way to fucking tax it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 45 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.