Here's what I nearly did at the RW stand at the expo...

1 to 20 of 36 messages
22/04/2013 at 20:27

Why should RW have supported us at Mudchute any more than they did?  They allowed us to use their stand at Expo which they were under no obligation to do, and we didn't promote them at all.

To be fair, if I was Runner's World then I would be apprehensive about associating my reputation with an event organised by complete amateurs who advertise it as a piss up, which is what we do.  Although there is alcohol there and we don't get anywhere near as drunk at Mudchute as we claim (but I'm not making any claim for the pub afterwards) I do know of one or two individuals who have said that they have been put off supporting at Mudchute with us because of it's reputation, especially if they want to bring the family along.

Attacking RW publically hardly helps us maintain a good relationship with them.  I understand your grievances about being out of pocket through agreements that you have had personally with RW Towers but please don't bring Mudchute into that.  I'd like to be able to work with RW in the future and that will never happen while the collective 'we' go around giving RW a bad name.

22/04/2013 at 20:35

I think KK may be alluding to the fact that we used to get a budget for Mudchute from RW.  We used to use the banners (collected from the expo) and some cash (not sure how much) to pay for the blue and yellow balloons plus we used to walk up to Asda and get a load of bananas to cut up.  The support station at Mudchute used to be quite closely affiliated to RW.  It sounds like you don't use the banners any more and you fund it yourself?

KK's support station was at a race in Devon (organised by a running club).

Does that make a little more sense now, SuperCaz?

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 20:38
22/04/2013 at 20:44
The last time I was at the RW stand at the expo I was jumped on by M..o.use....... Haven't been back since teehee
22/04/2013 at 20:59

No it doesn't Mouse.  Just because in the past RW have done something for us doesn't mean that we should expect it in the future.  I am aware of the help we used to get and in return RW used it as publicity in their magazine and on the website.  With so many comments about how the magazine churns out the same stuff each year I find it amusing that people expect it to do a big feature on Mudchute each year.

We didn't have banners this year as I cocked up with the logistics but even so, I don't think that provides much publicity.  Half our runners don't even see the mass of balloons and run straight past us, we never get the camera crews around our stretch of the route so there is no national advertising, and the only runners who have a chance of seeing the banners are those at the very front and the very back who aren't in amongst the crush of people and I doubt that they are too concerned with what is going on around them.

So the only people we are advertising to is the handful of people who help on the water station next to us and the few spectators on the road opposite.  I doubt that RW get a single new subscription or advertising enquiry from us.

But they do get a lot of grief when any support they do give is seen as inadequate by some.

22/04/2013 at 21:19

SuperCaz - I was just trying to clarify some of what KK had said, not enter the debate, so you're better off directing your discussion with her.  Please.

Thank you.

22/04/2013 at 21:26

No, there are things about the forum and magazine that I would like to see changed, but I don't think that trying to undermine them in front of their target audience is going to achieve that.

They are a business, not a club or one of our mates.  We hand out hundreds of jelly babies each year and promote them by talking about them to people who may buy them (i.e. other runners) but we don't expect Basset to give us money to buy them or promote our support station on the packaging of their products.  why?  Because we see Bassetts (or the company that owns the brand) is a business trying to make a profit.  I don't see how RW is any different to that.

Frankly I don't care what the employees in the company do behind closed doors as long as it doesn't break the law.  Implying things about them is hardly going to help maintain a good relationship either.  If I was them and I read your comment KK I certainly wouldn't be interested in doing any of us favours.

RW are not an authority in my mind.  But the company is made up of individual people who are all worthy of the same respect that I would give to anyone else.  If anything I have a certain amount of authority over them as if I don't like what they do then I can stop buying the magazine and leave the forums, or I could set up in competition if I thought I could do better.

Plum    pirate
22/04/2013 at 21:26

We used to do an annual fun awards thing and they used to give us prizes for that from all the corporate freebies they got.........I still have a salmon pink running top for being the youngest forumite 

22/04/2013 at 21:31
Obviously a while ago then, plum
22/04/2013 at 21:32

Yes, the top was purple when he received it.

22/04/2013 at 21:37

And he could fit into it

22/04/2013 at 21:39

Unlike the JW boob tube fiasco...

22/04/2013 at 21:45

Let's face it.  the magazine is too thin, filled with ads, too bloody expensive (compare price, quality and amount of ads with any other mag of any genre) and repetetive (although not as bad as Triathlon Plus that had the same front cover banner 2 years in a row)!  

This forum similarly died by not moving with the times and this was supported by the magazine by buying the Fetch rights http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/feb/22/fetcheveryone-story-running-ian-williams which wouldn't have happened if they cared about this site.  Let's face it everyone subscribed years ago downloaded the plans then cancelled their subscription.  We joked about the watch that never turned up but that was 2007 not 2013.  They're trying to reinvent but I can't see it helping much as the market and target audience is saturated and has changed with the advent of free e-media.      

23/04/2013 at 08:31
KK - why didn't you just create a basic invoice in Word and send it to them? I used to do it all the time when I was a student and picked up extra cash doing promo work, it's really easy - it's not unusual for companies to require invoices before they make payments.
23/04/2013 at 08:32
... even when they payments are just paying travel expenses.
23/04/2013 at 09:41

Back in the day, when the forum was young we certainly did have a good connection with RW staff - helped by the feeling of newness, and a few socials and the odd frolic.

23/04/2013 at 09:58
Barkles wrote (see)

Back in the day, when the forum was young we certainly did have a good connection with RW staff - helped by the feeling of newness, and a few socials and the odd frolic.

yep - you're right. in the days of Pishfool and Benson Boy there was a closer link between the forum and the RW staff.

but time's moved on - there are more running fora to attract attention, running has diversified into triathlon and ultras, things like Facebook and Twitter have come along etc.  we live in a much more diluted social media environment with many sites trying to grab our attention.

what's happened to this forum is no different to a lot of early sites who tapped into social media - it was what it was then as it was new; it isn't any more.

I don't see RW Towers changing anything at all now.  Rodale (the owners) have traction here and with Fetch so why should they do anything?? they're offering a free (to users) social media site and that's probably enough for them - their income comes from advertisers and magazine sales, not people posting here for free.

so - suck it up and carry on, or leave and head to pastures new.

23/04/2013 at 10:28

Yep - FB's got it right, I think

23/04/2013 at 11:07

Well this seems like as a good time as ever to chip in and introduce myself, my name is Ben and I am the new web editor of RW, taking over from Katie. 

I am afraid I can offer very little resolve on previous comments, complaints, issues, celebrations, moans and gripes that you have with RW and this forum and I'm sure I'll hear all about them along the way but I just want to reassure you that I will be on this forum listening to you, to your opinions, thoughts, and everything in between. I'll try extra hard to respond to you and for this all I ask is some patience, we are not a big online team despite what you might think and we're always pushed for time be it dealing with events or working on content. Not an excuse, just a fact.

That’s it; I only have one other request – play nice. Even in this thread there are comments that are completely unnecessary and generally offensive. We don’t moderate the forum, it’s in the T&Cs, but we get a whole load of reports and If I think that you’re being abusive and you don’t stop after fair warning, I’ll ban you. It’s pretty simple. This is not a threat set out to antagonize, I’m just giving you a heads up on behaviour that I’d hope you’d all agree is something that shouldn’t be happening anyway.

I look forward to talking to you all.

Cheers,

Ben

23/04/2013 at 11:15

oh look - fresh meat.....

can I just mention one point

"Even in this thread there are comments that are completely unnecessary and generally offensive."

would you be so kind as to point out what you think are "completely unnecessary" and "generally offensive" please??

as far as I can see, there is nothing here that falls into those categories and certainly nothing compared to many others that have done over the years.

you seem to be coming over a little sensitive with that comment so I think it fair that you should also defend your comments, much like many posters here have to.

care to comment??

23/04/2013 at 11:27

Hello FB, fresh meat indeed!

There was only one small response from KK about RW being shit and suggesting that we sweat whilst jerking off, which wasn't really necessary as we don't sweat. 

Perhaps a little sensitive, perhaps I am a very sensitive soul (I'm not).  I'm sure there will things much worse posted and as I said, it's not moderated, but anything directed at people that I think is out of order can't be tolerated. 

Come on, you all know the drill!

1 to 20 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.