Hillisborough

41 to 60 of 75 messages
15/09/2012 at 12:43
Action before and lack of action of senior officers during the crush. Also lies that were fed to media.
15/09/2012 at 18:47

I also feel sorry for those people who were forced to change their reports against their better judgement.  I understand that pressure was put on some people to write things that they were not happy with.  It must be awful for them to have to live with that for all this time... and now to discover that they might even be prosecuted for it!

I hope the prosecutions are brought on those in management who insisted on the falsification of records and that the reluctant underlings aren't made scapegoats.

15/09/2012 at 22:58
Strange isn't it, that as a football supporter who had been to the same ground only a couple of weeks earlier , the story to me was that of fault lying with the police for having opened the gates. My heart has always gone out to the families of the 96 in the search of the real truth. This is only the beginning of the truth.

I have been to many matches since then with my children in particular, and I have always had a plan in my head of how I would get them out.
15/09/2012 at 23:39

People might have been persuaded to change their statements Caz but they've had long enough since to put that right if they felt guilt over it.   Yes it's a mitigating factor that pressure might have been applied but not an excuse - I certainly don't feel sorry for them.    

16/09/2012 at 22:20

Sadly Man Utd fans sink as low as they can go some belong in the same gutter as the S**

No excuse for their behaviour 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
17/09/2012 at 14:34
Slowfoot 2012 wrote (see)

Sadly Man Utd fans sink as low as they can go some belong in the same gutter as the S**

No excuse for their behaviour 

Yup.

Retards.

17/09/2012 at 16:55

I agree with what has been said, no excuse for such chanting and I'm with Joe Jordan, ban them for life!

However as a Life-long Liverpool fan, I can remember back to the 70s in my teens where Liverpool, Everton and other sets of fans taunted the Man Utd fans mercilessly regarding the Munich air crash, this doesn't make it acceptable for them to continue it or excuse it in any way, but it isn't just the Man Utd fans as much as it pains me to say it.  

LIVERBIRD    pirate
17/09/2012 at 16:59

The pertinent point being "in the 70's". That was forty YEARS ago.

You'd have thought by now Man Utd fans would've realised, having been on the receiving end of taunts, just what a nasty thing to do this is.

But no......brainless to the end these chanters. Then and now.

17/09/2012 at 17:06

The point I'm making is that is goes on now as it went on then, and no single set of fans is more guilty or more stupid than the rest. You can hear something obscene at every match whether it's about the dead (Bill Shankly and Matt Busby are favourites) or about more recent things. It will only stop when someone decides to either act on those who carry on with it as we have seen with racism, or someone (a set of fans) becomes big enough to rise above it, sadly I don't see anyone taking the lead for the latter option, so it needs to be left to the Law, the Stewards, and responsible fans to identify those responsible and act accordingly.

17/09/2012 at 22:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djL5ydEfagE

This wasn't 40 years ago though LB.   Perhaps if the media didn't indulge the two clubs quite so much some of their fans would be able to keep supporting football in perspective.   

18/09/2012 at 08:00

These type of chants happen everywhere, Brighton fans are always treated to homophobic chanting, Ipswich fans at the time of the death of all those prostitutes in the town were treated to chants about their mothers, and I am sure there are many more examples.  It is tribal behaviour which really had no place 40 years ago or today.  You don't get it at any other sport except football.

18/09/2012 at 08:19

My point precisely, I go to watch Rugby League in the North West on occasion, and when the opposing fans are from Yorkshire which happens regularly, a lot make the trip and the Banter is amazing, can't happen in football

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/09/2012 at 12:51

If that WAS Liverpool fans, I'm disgusted. But I can't see a single Liverpool kit in that Youtube video, which makes me wonder if it's propaganda...

Idiots are idiots. Liverpool has idiots too. But I can't tell if they're scouse idiots from that clip.

18/09/2012 at 13:28

each team has idiots....liverpool still sing about munich...it happened at a game i was at not so long ago.  you would have thought being on the end of hillsborough they wouldnt resort to such things.    A quick google search will show you what liverpool fans did at old trafford after a cup semi a few years back....ignoring the ripping out of seats and p*ssing everywhere they wrote graffiti about munich on the walls etc... 

i just hope utd show class when going to anfield on sunday.  Hillsborough tragedy could have had any team involved and tribalism amongst teams should have no part in showing some class.   sing about suarez/evra/fergie or whoever but leave out the songs regards munich, heysel, hillsborough. 

Edited: 18/09/2012 at 13:31
18/09/2012 at 13:30

Dean - Unfortunately I think you know the answer to that one, as a Liverpool fans it's not nice to say but Utd and Liverpool fans are as distasteful as each other

18/09/2012 at 13:34

true...if nothing else i hope we unveil a banner showing support or have justice 96 or something on our tracksuits.  and any muppet trying to start the songs get drowned out by the rest of the crowd. 

18/09/2012 at 13:36

Well we live in hope but I'll bet it's not the last we'll hear of chanting regarding Hillsborough or Munich, the days when football chants had some sense of wit are long gone

LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/09/2012 at 19:38

It just saddens me.

I would NEVER sing taunts about death. Because it's not remotely funny.

And as much as I love football you'll not catch me losing sight of what REALLY matters in life.

People. Family. Decency. Honour. Respect.

Shall I go on?

JPenno    pirate
18/09/2012 at 20:05
Dean I suspect anyone of the away fans singing abuse will be easily identifiable as your allocation has been reduced substantially, I suspect any issues will mean further reductions
18/09/2012 at 22:51
I would say that a fairly high percentage of fans are under 30. If that is the case then the vast majority of them weren't even born or were very young at the time of the disaster. They are probably just joining in with the older idiots who are singing these nasty things. They may not even be aware, although they really should be, of the seriousness of the disaster. So is it the older supporters the authorities should be targeting first and make examples of them to the younger ones ? Do the younger ones need educating or more information about what happened during and after the disaster ? And at most football matches it is only a small percentage who sing nasty songs, threaten people, fight etc. Surely, in this day and age and with all the technology available, it shouldn't be as difficult as it appears to be to identify the main trouble makers and deal with them ?
41 to 60 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.