Hillisborough

61 to 75 of 75 messages
19/09/2012 at 08:38

If we are going to break this vicious circle of hatred between between the two most successful clubs in our football history, it needs a massive shift in mentality, and as a Liverpool fan I have never regarded Alex Ferguson as one of my favourite people (quite the opposite) but I have to say he is making a stand to be the person to change this. He is coming out to say he personally will support Liverpool in every way over the Hillsborough issue, let's see Reds fans (True LFC reds) be as magnanimous and do the same this is a fantastic gesture. 

19/09/2012 at 08:55
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

It just saddens me.

I would NEVER sing taunts about death. Because it's not remotely funny.

And as much as I love football you'll not catch me losing sight of what REALLY matters in life.

Agree with that, it seems incredible that people would actually take delight in someone dying. Making fun of death is pure scum behaviour.

But then you come on even this forum after a famous person has died, and there are threads of people making jokes about it. We saw it with Bernard Matthews, MJ, and numerous others.

And then you have scummers like Frankie Boyle making jokes about things like Madeline going missing, and equally offensive stuff. And it's not just him, because millions love his stuff.

Seems to be an English disease.

Edited: 19/09/2012 at 08:55
19/09/2012 at 09:12

the thing is the utd supporters who sang "always the victim" song last weekend are claiming its nothing to do with hillsborough but more about Suarez now.  Which i dont buy for a second.  But these idiots have justified it in their heads so in their opinion they are doing no wrong.  

19/09/2012 at 09:33

carter - last time I read, the average age of a Premier league supporter who attends matches was 44. A sad indictment of how expensive the game is and out of reach for the vast majority of families.

19/09/2012 at 10:32

Stevie G I'm not sure if taking the mickey out of distaters is just an English disease, I have heard other nations making jokes about topics that really are on the edge.  I actually don't think humuor is the issue here, it is the hatred used by football supporters when chanting at matches, it will be even worse if they actually believe what they are singing and not just joining in.  And Egyptian Toe your average age is correct and not just for Premier league, similar across the divisions, though some of it is fuelled by increasing numbers of senior citizens continuing to attend matches for much longer.

19/09/2012 at 11:01

The age of people who sing/chant at football matches is going to be lower than the average in the ground but they are not all kids and I'm sure they pretty much all know enough about Hillsborough that education is irrelevant.   They do it for a bit of a laugh don't they - it's a pantomime - they boo and hiss at the opposition lot and the opposition lot do the same.   I don't think either side are really insulted or shocked by it.    If you are used to chanting insults at the opposition for 90 minutes chanting insults about Hillsborough, Munich or whatever isn't that much of a step up - personally I wouldn't do it but then neither would I chant things calling opposition scum etc which seems to go on quite a bit. 

As for that Never Our Fault song - I'd never heard it but googling it I don't see how you can ban that if it doesn't even mention Hillsborough - people do accuse Liverpool (the city and the club) of having a victim mentality and obviously that's something you'd pick up on if you wanted to make up an insulting song about them the same way as people used to sing at Boro fans what's it like to shag your kids for years after the child sex abuse scandals up there (I know this goes back years but I don't go to many games these days !) - someone mentioned Ipswich and murders there prompting songs - people will latch on to anything they can.

19/09/2012 at 11:07
It's also about people like myself under 40 who are becoming increasingly disenchanted with the top end of the game. I used to crave playing, watched match of the day and go mad over england matches.

Now, while I still follow my team SWFC vividly I no longer have the desire to play, don't watch match of the day and couldn't give a toss about England team. I work for a 5 a side football company that years ago would be packed every night. Over the last few years we now have 3 busy nights a week. This is country wide thru the company. Don't think it's financial just a general feeling of some fans.

Chanting about Munich, Hillsboro etc will probably never disappear on the terraces because once your in the ground a mob culture takes over. Every club has an element. Some are worse than others.
19/09/2012 at 12:07
popsider wrote (see)

As for that Never Our Fault song - I'd never heard it but googling it I don't see how you can ban that if it doesn't even mention Hillsborough - people do accuse Liverpool (the city and the club) of having a victim mentality and obviously that's something you'd pick up on if you wanted to make up an insulting song about them

dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

the thing is the utd supporters who sang "always the victim" song last weekend are claiming its nothing to do with hillsborough but more about Suarez now.  Which i dont buy for a second.  But these idiots have justified it in their heads so in their opinion they are doing no wrong.  

It's probably got more to do with what Popsider says, and then issues like Suarez-Evra where most Pool fans seemed to blindly back their own man despite him being found guilty, and other such incidents than Hillsborough in fairness.

But it is definitely true to say that singing it after the Hillsborough ruling last week is pure idiocy.

I don't see why marshalls and police simply don't remove people singing the real offensive songs.

yes there might be 1000s, but start removing a few on the edges of it, and the others will soon stop.

Combine it with video surveillance, and banning orders, and make it clear you won't be getting a refund, and it'll certainly drive it out of the stadiums.

Edited: 19/09/2012 at 12:12
19/09/2012 at 15:01

GIRO - Get yourself to SPS! They need the support and you`ll see some decent football, I suspect, albeit largely from the opposition!

19/09/2012 at 17:43
Been to a few SPS games. Good fun and they are about to turn a corner IMO.
19/09/2012 at 22:46
Good result for Buxton tonight ! Not looking good for SOS, sorry I mean SPS.......
20/09/2012 at 13:44
Just curious. how many on here have read the independent panels report?

I have read most about half of it so far. I read a little of it when I have time since it was released. found certain things shocking , some things obvious and some things based on the panels opinions.there is no doubt the emergency services were at times incompetent and the SYP corrupt at a senior level but I was also amazed how the government at the time encouraged the cover up.

Worth reading if you haven't
20/09/2012 at 14:31

I'm about 100 pages in so far, only another 300+ to go

20/09/2012 at 14:36

Apparently the home secretary at the time welcomed the original report and findings, Thatcher didn't want criticism of the police and told him to concentrate on the recommendations. Should she not be brought to account as the person clearly responsible for covering up the true findings

We appear to have come full circle, from first page 4th post, there is one person who is clearly left holding this baby

LIVERBIRD    pirate
20/09/2012 at 18:26
I'm reading it.
It's scary.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 75 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.