Holiday Books

Any suggestions?

21 to 32 of 32 messages
19/05/2013 at 07:13

LS21: I'm currently halfway through the Tyler Hamilton book. Never really paid much attention to doping in cycling before but this is amazing stuff to read.

Another sport related book I've just finished is 'The Ghost Runner: The Trajedy of the Man they Couldn't Stop'. This is a really open, sad account of a boxer turned ultra-runner battling for his amateur status (check out on line reviews as I can't link for some reason).

Other books of note I've recently finished and would reccommend are 'Remains of the Day' by Kazuo Ishiguro. 'Wonder' by R.J. Palacio: this'll make you cry for sure; should be compulsary reading in schools. 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy: very depressing but in an epic way; brilliantly written. 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro.

These are all definitely worth checking out on line reviews. I used to read loads but kind of slowed right down to a crawl when running took over but since I got a Kindle for Christmas I've really got going again.

19/05/2013 at 11:31

If you like chunky books I'd recommend anything by Edward Rutherfurd - he writes historical sagas based on different locations e.g. London, Dublin, New York etc. I love them all, am just finishing Russka now.

A second vote for Kazua Ishiguro, my OH loves these books.

Any Human Heart by William Boyd is also near the top of my list. A bit lighter reading than the other suggestions!

20/05/2013 at 10:03

Just cleaning this thread up a bit so it's actually about books...

20/05/2013 at 11:14

Annie RW: What about the rest of the forum then. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to merge all the multiple threads we have on exactly the same topic; like every other forum I use does. It looks like some people think of something and start a new thread without even bothering to see if it's been brought up before.

20/05/2013 at 11:23

I'm not sure that's quite what Annie means.

Being one of the guilty parties (not that I started it!) I know what she means by "cleaning up".

Having said that, I would have thought she'd been impresssed by the way it veered somewhat obscenely off-topic but then got right back on track - I was

20/05/2013 at 11:40

Good work Annie

20/05/2013 at 12:42

Lay off the Bombay Sapphire eh SR?

20/05/2013 at 13:47

Another vote for Running With The Kenyans.

It's worth having a look on Project Gutenburg, they've got loads of out of copyright books you can download for free.

20/05/2013 at 17:12

The funny thing is one of my books, sweet tooth by Ian Mcewan is set partly in Brighton and features a shocking reference to the enlarged female organ that SR so subtly alluded to. 

20/05/2013 at 17:37

Might have to check that one out this summer. 

20/05/2013 at 21:44

Spooky Mr. P!

21/05/2013 at 15:15

The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May.  Best books I've read in years.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.