Home Insurance...grrrr!!!

1 to 20 of 35 messages
   pirate
13/06/2011 at 17:41

Has anyone ever been successful in a home insurance claim?

I've been with the same company for 9 years now and have only ever called them 4 times, each time I have been told that my policy does not cover it.

Honestly, what is the point of home contents insurance unless you buy the most expensive policy (which I can't afford) it doesn't seem to have any benefit for the £400 I pay per year!!!!

kittenkat    pirate
13/06/2011 at 18:11
Yes, had all freezer contents worth of claim, all approved, was a few years ago now.
13/06/2011 at 18:23

I've never had to claim myself, but my parents claimed quite a hefty amount for subsidance, which not only included the structural work but complete re-decoration of their lounge afterwards.

That was a good 10 years ago, though, so perhaps policies have changed since then and insurers are making it more difficult to claim.

Edit: Obviously my parents' claim wasn't 'contents', so perhaps I've not really answered the OP.

Edited: 13/06/2011 at 18:25
   pirate
13/06/2011 at 18:35
I'm just being really grumpy as I'm an honest policy holder never trying anythng on so when I have a genuine claim I get annoyed being told it isn't covered for whatever reason. I'll get over it.
13/06/2011 at 18:37
I claimed for a fair bit of stuff many years ago when I was burgled. Only partly makes up for it though!
13/06/2011 at 18:38
Just had daughter's iPod replaced on home insurance (I washed it).  Also 3 glass doors over the years, lost stone from engagement ring and split cold water tank
Kryten    pirate
13/06/2011 at 18:43

Why have home contents insurance at all? I 'self insure'.

By now you would have had 9 x £400 = £3,600 sitting in a bank somewhere to cover any problems. Sorry I know this is no help to you now!

I do wonder why people automatically think they must have contents insurance. I've been told I'm crazy for not having it! On average you are always going to get less money out than you put in; you have to cover the insurance companies expenses not to mention any fraudulent claims people are making.

13/06/2011 at 18:48
Hmmm. It's a question of confidence over risk. You could find yourself having to cover massive costs that your 'saved' money won't come close to meeting.... But, yes, it's a choice.
13/06/2011 at 18:54

I've had ceramic hob replaced after I dropped a knife on it and it cracked and shower repaired after the water froze one really cold winter.  I think the contents bit of mine is only around £200 pa and then same again for the actual buildings cover.

I would self insure if I thought I was only ever going to have small one off claims but the thought of having to start from scratch if place burnt to the ground would be easier at the thought of getting a  huge cheque rather than what I'd managed to save up.

pirate
13/06/2011 at 19:55
Kryten wrote (see)

Why have home contents insurance at all? I 'self insure'.

By now you would have had 9 x £400 = £3,600 sitting in a bank somewhere to cover any problems. Sorry I know this is no help to you now!

I do wonder why people automatically think they must have contents insurance. I've been told I'm crazy for not having it! On average you are always going to get less money out than you put in; you have to cover the insurance companies expenses not to mention any fraudulent claims people are making.

Kryten yes I partly agree and often think if I had just saved that money I would be able to replace those things.

On second look the £400 covers buildings and contents.

The question is do I cancel the contents and just save the money - seems wiser as in 9 years I've called only 4 times and none of my claims were accepted.

Edited: 13/06/2011 at 19:56
13/06/2011 at 20:02
Couple of years ago some nimrod stole MrANTB's bike and tried to get mine away too. In the process they took the back wheel and completely trashed the gears and rear brakes. Insurance paid out for a new bike for MrANTB, but not the damage to mine. Repairing my bike cost more than replacing MrANTB's. I was not a happy customer.
13/06/2011 at 20:02
if you're a homeowner it seems daft not to have contents insurance, if you rent then possibly it is less important, depends on if your possessions are nickable and valuable
13/06/2011 at 20:10
My insurers couldn't have been more helpful when we were burgled last year - claim settled with no evidence required (probably because it was small) and window fixed very quickly.
Kryten    pirate
13/06/2011 at 20:24

I guess its a choice between accepting a certain amount of risk (not having insurance) and knowing that you are paying out more than you will get back on average (having insurance).

To be honest I probably don't have a lot of valuable things and the most expensive are probably two big sofas that are definitely not very steal-able. (If anyone wants to steal my 15 year old TV then feel free. I will help you carry it to your car.)

Edit: £400 is not nearly so bad if its for contents and buildings insurance, you obviously need the buildings.

Edited: 13/06/2011 at 20:26
13/06/2011 at 20:56
You'd be surprised at how much stuff you own.  All it takes is a fire and it's all gone.  Clothes, carpets, furniture, cooking utensils, tools, bikes, CDs etc.
13/06/2011 at 20:59
S'true. I remember adding it all up. Scary. Plus, if the kids were burned to death, I'd want some money. Did I just say that?
13/06/2011 at 21:01
or if you live in a flat, the person above you having a burst pipe
13/06/2011 at 23:57

Wheeeho a fire, getting rid of all the baggage... Hmmm need to put the matches down, and stop giving me ideas you naughty people above.

I have contents and life insurance for £160 a year, mainly got it because I own a bike in London.

14/06/2011 at 00:07
I was surprised how straightforward it was claiming when my bike was stolen. I also claimed for a leaking shower tray on my buildings insurance and that was fairly easy too.
   pirate
14/06/2011 at 09:22
I know my bikes aren't covered, costs more to insure them, way way WAY More!!
1 to 20 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.