Hot (Spicy) Food

..what?

12 messages
18/09/2002 at 15:27
Dont know about the rating but I once was lucky enough to have curry made for me by someone who'd spent 10 years in Oman

Pretty sure chillies were in there somewhere
18/09/2002 at 15:29
I HATE the Encona pepper sauce it tastes gross! the sweet chilli one is good though

you don't know what spicy is until you've wasted your dosh on a phal
18/09/2002 at 15:35
I made a veggie chilli with Scotch bonnet peppers once. They looked so round and innocent that I used 4 peppers for one potful. Mr V-rap and I got through about a litre of yogurt as dipping sauce for one plateful, and I didn't keep the leftovers for breakfast.
18/09/2002 at 16:05
The dried chillis you get from markets (or in Tooting's case- any shop in Tooting) are evil. As soon as you cook the little buggers they spring back to life!
18/09/2002 at 16:47
There is a Thai Cafe in Isleworth that makes wonderful stir-fries and you can have some of their homemade chilli dressing to give them some Zing and that stuff makes tabasco as spicy as ketchup but I have some really hot gear at home, I can't remember its name but I'll let you know.
18/09/2002 at 17:10
I'm pretty well trained. My Dad (who's parents lived in Malaysia for a while) used to make a malaysian chilli paste which I used to eat on toast when I was younger. Bit hotter than marmite!
18/09/2002 at 17:15
p.s. You're being very food related today Tim - not taking enough time out of ironing to eat??
18/09/2002 at 17:29
Ah, the scotch bonnet pepper. I cooked with one of those, many moons ago. Can't remember the outcome, so it must not have been too dire.

I love making hot curries, but my lack of a food processor in order to make the spice paste doesn't do me any favours.

And those dried red peppers - they are Kashmiri chillies, and are meant to be hot! A recipe for a vindaloo that serves four requires 20 of them. Haven't tried to make that one yet though.
18/09/2002 at 18:13
just be careful if doing a hilly run the next day.even though the curry from the night before might make your exhaust burn white it could lead to an embarassing sitaution if you pound the downhills.i once had a strong curry then ran a hilly half the next day.had to go for a few unscheduled stops.ironically the race was in chatsworth,an indian area in south africa.
18/09/2002 at 19:28
Scotch bonnets! Once bought them to make a chilli for me and the mrs thinking that they would probably be quite mild due to the shape. Used a whole pack of six, ate the chilli and suffered great pain the following day, starting at something like 3a.m. This was about five years ago and I am wincing now as I remember the awful outcome.
18/09/2002 at 21:12
Curries and Chillies for me can only be made one way-known as arse burner in our parts.
Last nights curry was a balti chicken jalfezi, with extra garlic and double extra chillies(about 20 on one plate.
the other 5 people in the group a;; had a mouthful and exploded
18/09/2002 at 21:33
We North Americans love hot and spicy food with a Mexican slant: e.g. Chillis Rellenos

Take v. hot long green chilli

slit, and fill with Monterey Jack cheese

Cover all with light egg white batter

Fry.

Serve with hot salsa and sour cream - and a beer.

NOT for those on diets!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.