How accurate do you think history is?

21 to 40 of 53 messages
12/10/2012 at 18:34
War history is written by the victors and the victors are probably not always on the side of right. So the authors become war heroes while the losers become war criminals. The holocaust is without doubt labeled a case of genocide but then you could also say that about the bombing of Dresden and Hamburg, to name another
12/10/2012 at 20:03
TheVicar wrote (see)

Noah was 950 when he died. Now we know that isn't true

Crickey, Noah was older than Yoda when he died in episode VI (900 years old)... except Yoda was real unlike the fictional character you mentioned (and said was bullshit, or words to that effect), what was his name again?

12/10/2012 at 20:08
Interesting. Drawing moral equivalence between the Nazis and the 55000 airmen who died for our freedom. Good to know your world view.
13/10/2012 at 08:32
Simple truth if Germany had won the war the Nuremburg trials may have been in London with the British government in the dock. No morals involved just fact
13/10/2012 at 11:01

If the Nazis had won the war many more than the British governement would have been murdered.

And in the case of ww2 the except for those sympathetic to the Nazis the victors were on the side of right.....

13/10/2012 at 11:31

The Victors have always been on the side of right, my point exactly

Dark Vader    pirate
13/10/2012 at 11:52

This thread subject is somewhat ironic considering the god thread...  religion of whatever belief isn't exactly based on rigourous peer reviewed science....    yet people just seem to want to believe it without question, without considering the translation errors from one language to another and without considering that it wasn't exactly like a news report from the day...   

Reporting of history, even events that happened yesterday will always have a bias...

13/10/2012 at 12:08
Dark Vader wrote (see)

Reporting of history, even events that happened yesterday will always have a bias...

Probably more true now than ever before, I remember the fuss a long time ago, at the Bush to Clinton handover (I think it was) when George Bush senior had the worst frown ever as he was looking at Clinton, this was airbrushed to show both men smiling, instant history!

Dark Vader    pirate
13/10/2012 at 12:16

As an example...  take Pearl Harbour..

The film version, US history version and Japanese history are all different...  so..  if you were only exposed to one of them, without knowledge of the others, which is right..?   As you have no other knowledge apart from what you are told, you will believe what you are told.  That, to you, is the truth.   So..  the US believe one thing...  the Japanese believe a different version but to the individual person they are both 'true'.   It doesn't mean that it actually true..  ie:  fact.  

Our daily exposure to news reporting is the same...  read a report on a major news story on the BBC site, then go to Sky, or CNN or an Arabic or Australian or whatever you want..  you won't get EXACTLY the same facts or impartial account of what happened.  You will read what they want you to read.  China and some Asian countries are well known to hugely distort facts to what they want their population to read..  or produce a blackout if they don't want you to know anything at all.

This happens now and with the aid of instant communication, photographs, video and interviews with eye-witness...

Thus..   it is not hard to accept that all historical stories must be inaccurate and biased towards the person telling them...  and this is the same for religion.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 12:17
13/10/2012 at 12:52

I hope you're not suggesting Jesus didn't turn water into wine?

13/10/2012 at 15:31

Of course he did. Happens all the time. People take grapes and water and...ends up in bottles. And then we turn it back into water again.

Dark Vader    pirate
13/10/2012 at 15:32
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

I hope you're not suggesting Jesus didn't turn water into wine?

Depends which web site, book, comic you read..

Was it peer reviewed..?   Is it repeatable..?  Are there reliable independent unbiased witnesses..?   

Does it constitute history or folklore..?

kittenkat    pirate
13/10/2012 at 15:52
lardarse wrote (see)
TheVicar wrote (see)

Noah was 950 when he died. Now we know that isn't true

Crickey, Noah was older than Yoda when he died in episode VI (900 years old)... except Yoda was real unlike the fictional character you mentioned (and said was bullshit, or words to that effect), what was his name again?

THAT'S why Noah's beard was so long... I always wondered.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 15:52
13/10/2012 at 15:54

It's conceiveable, if you think, it must have taken him 500 years to build that boat.

13/10/2012 at 16:04

A bit selfish to save animals, not humans.

13/10/2012 at 16:06

Ah but thinking ahead, what tastes as good a nicely roasted animal

13/10/2012 at 16:13

You haven't read "The Road", presumably.

13/10/2012 at 16:17

No but after reading a ten line write-up I might do, it sounds interesting

kittenkat    pirate
13/10/2012 at 16:18
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

A bit selfish to save animals, not humans.

Bestiality is best boys.

13/10/2012 at 16:28

Not actually the way I was thinking there KK, but it does require thought

21 to 40 of 53 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.