How best to encourage fellow runners

21 to 23 of 23 messages
26/02/2013 at 21:08
I do most of my short runs in some woods where there are a few runners and a lot of dog walkers. The dog walkers are mostly very sweet but my utter fave is the woman who always says "gosh you're SO fast!".

I am really very very slow, but bless her.

On my first ever 10k race when I was nearly dead there were a bunch of kids (maybe aged 8-12) outside their house, SCREAMING at us as we went past, things like "you are all so cool!" "Even walking is winning!" "Your mum is proud of you!" "You are such a superstar!" "Keep going, you look GREAT!".

Ever since then every time I have run a race which is suggested to have "great crowd support" I have been disappointed. Nothing has ever matched up to that.
26/02/2013 at 21:10
I see quite a few people who are clearly doing C25K, and I often want to stop and chat to them and tell them that's how I started and how they'll come to love it. But then I think that might be a bit creepy or patronising so I stick with a smile and nod.
26/02/2013 at 21:15

I will nod briefly to give a passing hello to other runners. Unless they're wearing headphones, in which case I assume they're in their own world and just ignore them.

I expect nothing more than the same in return and I'm not bothered if I don't get that. I certainly don't need any support or encouragement. My running time is selfish me time and the less interaction I have with others, the better.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.