How competitive are you generally?

1 to 20 of 26 messages
kittenkat    pirate
06/06/2013 at 19:55

I won't explain the circumstances to you, but as well as working full time, having kids, hubby on shifts, a dog who is high maintenance in the mental stimulation department...

I am now doing a course equivalent to GCSE level in 3 weeks without being taught at all.

The thing is, I know I can pass but I don't just want to pass, I want the highest mark possible but I only have 3 weeks and no time.

06/06/2013 at 20:03

Good luck with it, I respect anyone who wants to stretch themselves

06/06/2013 at 20:13

I'm not really.

I did a degree while working full time and to be honest I geared the reading to the questions.  If I didn't need to use it I didn't look at it. 

First class honours would have been nice (and possible) but it just wasn't practical given the time I had to study. 2:1 was good enough and I was perfectly happy with it.

kittenkat    pirate
06/06/2013 at 20:15

Thanks, it's not stretching my mental capacity per se as I have an honours degree, but in 3 weeks, yeah it's going some.

kittenkat    pirate
06/06/2013 at 20:19
Screamapillar wrote (see)

I'm not really.

I did a degree while working full time and to be honest I geared the reading to the questions.  If I didn't need to use it I didn't look at it. 

First class honours would have been nice (and possible) but it just wasn't practical given the time I had to study. 2:1 was good enough and I was perfectly happy with it.

I got a 2:2 because I did B.Ed hons with PE as my first subject and Outdoor Ed as my second. Basically all (well most)  PE teachers are piss heads in uni, as historically the drinking culture linked around sports like rugby and hockey is so interwoven in the fabric of the whole experience of team culture. Play hard, drink hard.

Edited: 06/06/2013 at 20:21
06/06/2013 at 21:07

Play hard, drink hard is definately a motto I could grow to adopt 

kittenkat    pirate
06/06/2013 at 21:43
Ja5onW wrote (see)

Play hard, drink hard is definately a motto I could grow to adopt 

Yeah, actual work was an afterthought. I know it was years ago now (my degree was 89-93) but the intellectual component of it was a joke. We were kept in check by the teaching element and subsequently 'teaching practice'.

You either can or you can't  teach and I still believe that now, and when I was teaching/lecturing once experienced and tasked with guiding new people, I was always very honest. The best thing you can throw into the mix in 'teaching' from reception to degree level, is firstly getting your students to respect you. That is a direct combination of your personality, passion for the subject and interest personally in every individual, but a real interest, they see through fake emotion.

But also being shit hot in your subject and your creativity in lessons. Create fun rather than doldrums.

kittenkat    pirate
06/06/2013 at 21:46

And use humour to diffuse potentially explosive situations, never take anything personally because it's not ultimately.

No, no, no... I don't miss teaching/lecturing/teaching people to teach/lecture... One little bit.

kittenkat    pirate
06/06/2013 at 22:07

I have a genuine 'worry' for the current culture of people who have been made redundent or just want a change of career, to cite teaching as a calling for them, or just falling into wanting to do it because it seems like a 'default' second career choice en masse?

Also another worry of mine, having been a very successful teacher and lecturer, I'm bucking the trend and I really like my non lecturing job in a FE and HE establishment.

Basically what I'm saying is that it takes a Hell of a person to be a 'good' teacher in the current climate. If I was currently working full time with any age from to reception to degree level, I would just teach and refuse the copious paperwork to weakly suggest that I might, just might...jump through the 'hoop' and suceed!

Edited: 06/06/2013 at 22:10
09/06/2013 at 15:52

In answer to the question how competitive am I.. Against others, not at all. Against myself, very.

09/06/2013 at 16:42

I was accused of being competitive when I discovered that I was the best in my age group in GB at something recently 

10/06/2013 at 15:52

I'm of the opinion that the saying if something's worth doing, it's worth doing well is a load of dingo's kidneys. There are plenty of things that are worth doing that aren't worth doing well.

But when I play boardgames and card games I always play to win.

15/06/2013 at 18:12

In this country people tell you that you're competitive in a very accusing way. I once applied for a promotion and people said they were surprised that I turned out to be a power seeker (I'll never forget the term) when they assumed I was one of them. Whatever that may mean.

15/06/2013 at 19:30

I was once informed at a job interview that competitiveness could be considered an infantile attribute. Which was a bit confusing when you think how competitive life is.

However, though life may be competitive, the success is acquired through co-operation with others, not competing against them. A subtle difference.

Unless its a sporting event. Open season with that one.

15/06/2013 at 19:49

I agree a degree of success can be achieved with the right team but all teams need a driven competitive leader  

15/06/2013 at 19:57
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

I agree a degree of success can be achieved with the right team but all teams need a driven competitive leader  

At which point the team becomes a wolf pack.

And a couple of steps later a dictator with a collection of subservient lackeys who opt for an easy life instead of arguing with some pushy sod who always wants to get their own way all the time. 

Edited: 15/06/2013 at 20:04
16/06/2013 at 08:18

You can get so far with a consensus approach, the last bit takes that little bit extra 

kittenkat    pirate
16/06/2013 at 15:03
RicF wrote (see)

I was once informed at a job interview that competitiveness could be considered an infantile attribute. 

And what was the question or dialogue that followed that little gem?

16/06/2013 at 15:04
RicF wrote (see)

However, though life may be competitive, the success is acquired through co-operation with others, not competing against them. A subtle difference.

If everyone could form an orderly pyramid, I'll be glad to climb to the top on your shoulders.......

kittenkat    pirate
16/06/2013 at 15:05

1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.